Official Review: LoveYoga by Randalle Love

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: LoveYoga by Randalle Love

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "LoveYoga" by Randalle Love.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

LoveYoga by Randalle Love is a collection of black and white photographs and inspirational quotes. Each photograph in the collection is a full page and paired with an inspirational quote on the accompanying page. One female model is used throughout the book, and each portrait captures her in a different yoga pose. The model is nude throughout the collection; however, the images are tasteful, and no intimate portions of the body are exposed.

The photographs in this collection are striking, and each has been thoughtfully placed with a short quote. Although the same model is used throughout the collection, I found each portrait and unique yoga pose as interesting as the next. The photographer, Jessica Holt, shows real skill; the play with light in each photo really brings the model to life and makes each pose appear fluid. Further, there is almost a glow surrounding the model in each image, making the photographs all the more intriguing. Lastly, I appreciated the use of varying angles. Though most of the images are captured head on, there are a few that are taken from varying angles, adding dimension to the collection. This is a book I would love to see in print; it would make a great conversation piece.

The quotes interspersed between photographs are equally as thought provoking as the images they accompany. It is clear that the author carefully chose which quote to place with each image. Moreover, each quote is written in black font on a white page; the juxtaposition between the black background of the portraits and the stark white of each quote page was visually stimulating. Although this collection appears to be a relatively simple concept, it is clear a lot of effort went into every detail. Eleanor Roosevelt, Buddha, George Eliot, Coco Chanel and George Bernard Shaw are just some of the prolific figures whose words act as inspirational quotes in this collection.

I enjoyed almost every aspect of this book; however, I had hoped the author would include the names of the various yoga poses captured in each portrait. There are a total of 36 photos in the collection, and in each one, the model is striking a different pose. As someone who has only mildly dabbled in yoga, there were multiple poses I was unfamiliar with and curious about. Unfortunately, it took some time to figure out what those poses were called via online web searches.

This was an enjoyable book to flip through. Although it doesn’t contain many words, I found myself lingering on each page for some time, trying to soak in the images and corresponding inspirational quotes. Yoga is certainly one focus of this book; however, I think readers who enjoy art, photography and any who are looking for inspiration will find this book just as enjoyable as any yoga enthusiast would. Despite my minor reservation about the lack of names for the yoga poses portrayed, I thoroughly enjoyed thumbing through this collection. I happily rate LoveYoga 4 out of 4 stars.

LoveYoga
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
fawaz ibrahim
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by fawaz ibrahim »

great book
Randalle Love

Post by Randalle Love »

Thank you for the amazing review! I love how you noticed all the little details, such as how I took my time to pair the poses and quotes together in the best possible way. I appreciate your honesty and time!
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

What an interesting review. I'm not sure I could have pulled it off, tbh.
Keith Phillips

Post by Keith Phillips »

Awesome book!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds really interesting. I love that there is a picture along with a quote. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Such a unique take on photography. This is one book I must check out.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Ubheeram Nina
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 77

Post by Ubheeram Nina »

I actually practice yoga. I already learnt it physically and will appreciate it more in read now. I would like to thank the author Randalle Love for giving us this book.
VanessaAisel
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessaaisel.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by VanessaAisel »

I love photography, I know nothing of yoga! This seems like a beautiful mix of both worlds! Thanks for your review!
The only escape to my pain is within the lives of storybook characters.
~Me~
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

kislany wrote:What an interesting review. I'm not sure I could have pulled it off, tbh.
I feel the same way as Kislany. I am not sure I could have pulled this off, although the book sounds beautiful, and if the cover is any indication, the quality is wonderful.
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

I am not a yoga-person, but would love to try it some time. I am sure I would find the pictures handy when I try it. Thanks for such a great review!
insights
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by insights »

I love photography. I am also amazed by the power of yoga. This book will surely interest me. Thanks for the detailed review.
gwaps
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by gwaps »

Awesome

-- 15 Nov 2017, 00:32 --

I like it
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

I saw a copy of this once on a friend's coffee table, and admittedly I was afraid to look into it (lest I be judged). This review assuaged my curiosity. Thank you!
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I thought this book was going to be an introduction to yoga like its history, benefits, names of poses and things like that. It's quite different of what I thought, but very refreshing. I think it could be used to practice yoga every day with a quote in mind. Thanks for the review! Namaste!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”