Official Review: Running the Marathon with Cancer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Running the Marathon with Cancer

Post by Izesicle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Running the Marathon with Cancer" by Doug Limbrick.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Myth: Fit people don't get cancer
Reality: Lack of exercise is not the only risk factor for cancer

Doug Limbrick was training for his 21st marathon at 63 years of age. This is a rare achievement for most people. Everyone would be properly and rightly amazed. On the day of the marathon, he chose not tell his friends and fellow runners that he had just been diagnosed with cancer. Running the Marathon with Cancer is Doug's personal story of surviving colorectal cancer and how running helped him fight it. It is a nonfiction book which I would classify under inspirational reading.

Upon his diagnosis, Doug shared his feelings and the response of his family and friends. He also provided details about his situation as well as pictures and medical images. He talked about undergoing surgery during a holiday and coping with a body that had been weakened with sickness and treatment, devastating for a senior citizen who is used to running marathons. He alternated simple explanations on medical procedures with little observations like hospital people should not be smoking. After undergoing radiology and chemotherapy, a portion of his colon was removed which led to complications that gave him a near-death experience. All throughout his ordeal, Doug rallied with the support of his friends, family and his positive outlook. His main goal was to be active as soon as possible - try to ski and eventually run another marathon which he was able to do.

I like the casual, reflective storytelling style that Doug employed in writing the book. He shared his observations of things that he normally would ignore but mean differently to him given his situation. For example, he was feeling frustrated at not being able to walk properly for a marathoner, then the movie Happy Feet came on TV. He empathized with a neighbouring patient who kept yelling that he was all better and wanted to go home; yet in reality, he was still unwell. He was thankful for drinking water after a fast and for a shave after a long hospital stay. He generously shared his learnings from different inspirational books. I was thankful for his reading list in the appendix. Every quote at the beginning of each chapter is a gem.

There were only a handful of typos such as spelling "heals" instead of "heels", misspelling "focused" and "Dalia Lama" instead of "Dalai Lama". Sadly, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because I found a lot of parts to be monotonous. The storytelling was too much of a monologue. I wish that some parts had dialogue or maybe excerpts of letters instead of merely an account of the conversations and letters. I realize that the conversations and excerpts may not be actual or verbatim; however, that is not an expectation of this type of book.

Doug's main goal in sharing his story was to prompt people to have themselves tested, including those who consider themselves active and fit. I recommend this book to anyone who would like to be inspired or those who are interested in a cancer survivor's journey. There is some mention of religion and spirituality but it refers to Doug's experience and is not preachy. Upon reading his inspirational story, those who are scared to have themselves tested are reminded that early detection is important. Like him, a survivor can be strong enough to run a marathon with cancer, literally or figuratively.

Running the Marathon with Cancer
View: on Bookshelves

Like Izesicle's review? Post a comment saying so!
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Great review, an interesting story indeed. Cancer has many misconceptions including level of fitness, diet or even lifestyle choices. Good work on your review.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

A story full of inspiration and facts about cancer. From your review the book seems a great read. Its unfortunate the book had a few editorial mistakes. Thanks for a splendid review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Cancer is such a horrible reality in today's world. I'm glad that there are those like the author that can share their story of survival and inspire others! Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ubheeram Nina
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 77

Post by Ubheeram Nina »

The author is not only a Marathon but a fighter too. Very few survive from such dreadful disease. Even my brother-in-law is suffering from cancer and has very few chances to live. I can recommende him this book because the remedy worth a lot to us.
VanessaAisel
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessaaisel.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by VanessaAisel »

Wonderful review! Nov. 17th marks one year since taking my mother in law in for her lumpectomy surgery! After that surgery she officially became breast cancer free and has remained so. She is 78 years old! I love stories of inspiration!
The only escape to my pain is within the lives of storybook characters.
~Me~
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

Great review, very inspiring.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
BookEater213
Currently Reading: Horse Manure Grows Great Roses
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookeater213.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by BookEater213 »

Running the Marathon with Cancer is a good book written by elegant writer and this seems interesting to me
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Such an inspiring story. I admire Rick's spirit.

-- 03 Nov 2017, 10:58 --

Being diagnosed with cancer would ruin most people. Doug Limbrick chose to be strong at an unlikely time.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

Great review, the book sounds to really inspiring in that no matter what challenges you are faced with in life, you can still survive.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Cancer has become a common ailment. Perhaps all of us know someone who has it. Let us all be bearers of hope and joy to these sufferers.

I commend Doug for sharing his story and his strength.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:

Post by Izesicle »

juliusotinyo wrote:Great review, an interesting story indeed. Cancer has many misconceptions including level of fitness, diet or even lifestyle choices. Good work on your review.
thanks, Julius. Your new profile pic is hilarious.
Crystalvanessa
Favorite Author: Nicholas Spark
Currently Reading: The 11.05
Bookshelf Size: 11
fav_author_id: 9841

Post by Crystalvanessa »

This is a wonderful review!
The book is so inspiring not only for those with cancer but anyone who will have a chance to read it
Tpop
Currently Reading: An Obstinate Vanity
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tpop.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Tpop »

This books sounds incredibly motivational. I have only run one marathon. Although I completed it successfully,the training is a mental and physical battle on its own. Adding in another physical battle of a disease or cancer is just mind blowing to me. I realize that there are some monotonous spots, but hopefully the shorter length will make it easier to finish. I really want to read this book.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Izesicle
Currently Reading:

Post by Izesicle »

Al Chakauya wrote:A story full of inspiration and facts about cancer. From your review the book seems a great read. Its unfortunate the book had a few editorial mistakes. Thanks for a splendid review.
thank you. I definitely learned a thing or two about cancer from this book.

-- 06 Nov 2017, 16:57 --
kandscreeley wrote:Cancer is such a horrible reality in today's world. I'm glad that there are those like the author that can share their story of survival and inspire others! Thanks for the review.
you're absolutely right. I read it in October too, Cancer awareness month.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”