Official Review: Footloose In America - Dixie To New Engl...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: Footloose In America - Dixie To New Engl...

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Footloose In America - Dixie To New England" by Bud Kenny.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Footloose In America - Dixie To New England by Bud Kenny is a tale about two people (and their mule, Della) who got to live the American dream.

Bud Kenny had one big goal: to walk on foot across America. Back in his younger years, in the 1970s, he had already made a similar journey between Pennsylvania and Arkansas across some 8,000 miles, and now he got the travel itch again. This time, however, he wanted to take his new bride, Patricia, along. The excursion would start in Arkansas and end in Maine. Leaving everything behind, businesses, homes, and belongings, they began their new adventure and never looked back.

As Bud, Patricia, and Della were strolling towards their destination, they knew they would have a long way ahead. They would spend their nights in a tent on the road and their days walking. Along the way, some people would offer them lodging for the night. Others would give them money for Della’s carrots and apples. Yet others would swear at them and even threaten them verbally for all sorts of trivial reasons (usually because they would occupy the most part of a narrow road).

I had never before experienced so many emotions while reading a single book. I was at times laughing, crying, smiling, and frowning. Bud’s sense of humor shined through his writing. When some kind people gave them a room for the night, I burst out laughing when each party would ask about the other, “What if they are homicidal ax murderers?” On the other hand, when Lilly, a young girl with cerebral palsy, and Della came face to face, I had a few tears rolling down my cheeks. This scene was so emotional that I had to put the book down for a bit.

Bud and Patricia were on the road when September 11 happened. Before that day, Bud would describe how friendly and trusting everyone was towards strangers like them entering their town. After 9/11, Bud noticed with some sorrow, “Since this terrorist thing, being on the road is a lot different … People aren’t smiling and waving at us like they did before.“

I’ve learned a lot about the American history through Bud’s book. Folks they met would share stories about their towns. I got to experience the Amish people differently from the way TV programs and movies would depict them. One of the Amish explained why they don’t love modern technology. It has nothing to do with hate towards those gadgets and everything to do with the need to keep their families close not only physically but also mentally. When you’re constantly on the cell phone, you lose touch with the folks around you. When you have your own car, you’re always away from home and family. And when you’re watching TV all night long, you no longer have conversations with the people you love.

The descriptions of some places took my breath away. Landscapes with gorgeous waterfalls, “rugged high bluffs, steep valleys, lush wood lands and long breathtaking views of the shimmering Ohio” would forever be etched in my mind.

Della was pretty much the star of the whole trip. Everyone wanted to pet her and she was adorable to children and adults alike. You could tell that she was enjoying the outing as much as Bud and Patricia were. When they saw a band marching across the field and playing their drums and cymbals, Della was enthralled just like a small kid. If you ever thought animals have no souls, now would be the time to reconsider.

The writing style is clear and enjoyable. Bud uses simple and direct words, the way he would speak when telling you a story around a campfire. The book looks professionally edited, as I haven’t found any grammatical or spelling errors. At some point, I got so engrossed in the narrative that I even forgot to look for them. I’ll give Footloose In America - Dixie To New England 4 out of 4 stars. Whether you like memoirs, love stories, and books that make feel a whole range of emotions, read this story. You will be that much richer for it.

Footloose In America - Dixie To New England
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!
Treistar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Treistar »

It is incredible how a person can make a journey of 8,000 miles on foot.Footloose in America is a good book to read as it give the overview and general landscape of America.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

A mule as a pet? That's quite unconventional. But then again, my grandma had an anteater. I like the fact that the book contains a lot of situations that evoke in the reader different emotions. Thanks for this splendid recommendation.
VanessaAisel
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessaaisel.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by VanessaAisel »

As one that lives in Ohio I must agree about the breathtaking views! It sounds like and amazing book! Thank you!-
The only escape to my pain is within the lives of storybook characters.
~Me~
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I'm not completely sold, but this sounds pretty interesting. Having lived in Ohio for the first several decades of my life, with Amish on the outskirts of my town, I'm especially intrigued by the Amish parts you mentioned; I love getting a TRUE viewpoint, as opposed to what's shown in the Media. I think it'd also be nice to revisit what [many] citizens were like pre-9/11, when we were living on slightly less high alert.
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

@Treistar it definitely is. I agree. I wouldn't be able to do it (I'm as lazy as it gets), but kudos to those who have a dream a go after it with all they have.

@Kalin Adi the mule was the "horse" for their wagon. But that mule was so much more. Honestly, often I had the feeling that Della understood everything the people were saying around here. Oh, something I forgot to mention in the review (there was so much in the book, I could have written a book of my own about their adventures) is the numerous photos in the book featuring Della. She is really adorable.

@VanessaAisel I've never been in those parts of the world, so all I can do is live vicariously through books such as this one.

@MsTri when I started to read the book, I thought, oh well, it will be a nice change of pace from the usual sci-fi and fast-paced crime mystery novels I read. Well, I was wrong. This book sucked me in from the first chapter and never let me go.
VanessaAisel
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessaaisel.html

Post by VanessaAisel »

@kislany I do the same as well! I live in Ohio but have only been the a few of the states around me, never seen the world, unless in a book or picture! That's one of my fav things about descriptive writers, being able to see what they see through their words!
The only escape to my pain is within the lives of storybook characters.
~Me~
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Hiking isn't my favorite activity but I think this is a book I would enjoy. Thank you for a job well done.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

From the title and cover, I wouldn't have thought that this was such an interesting book. Thanks so much for sharing it with us!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Really enjoyed reading this one, your enjoyment of it shines through. Sounds like it deserves it's 4 stars. I love the idea of walking across America! I'm too lazy though.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

@VanessaAisel you are so right! I am the same, and that's one reason I love reading books so much.

@Mercy Bolo thank you. I think you will like this book too.

@kandscreeley that's exactly what I thought when I first picked it up. It will be a relatively boring book about two people's travels. How wrong I was!

@Gingerbo0ks I'm just as lazy as well. That's why living vicariously through the eyes of such authors is a big thing for me.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

kandscreeley wrote:From the title and cover, I wouldn't have thought that this was such an interesting book. Thanks so much for sharing it with us!
I'm with you here. I never would have picked this book up with just the title and the cover to go by, but the review is very good and makes me want to read the book.
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

That sounds like a interesting book to read. Thanks for such a thoroughly-written book review.
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Post by ZeroChill »

Amazing to see someone make a journey of 8000 miles on foot. Nice review, perfecr description and good discussion.
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

Making a 8 000 mile journey on foot is amazing. A story full of emotion makes a good read all the time. It's intriguing when the reader can relate with the author to an extent the reader believes a mule has a soul. A great review, well done.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”