Review of The Impatient American

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: Pogpog and the Magic Grapes by Ebba Kay

Review of The Impatient American

Post by Salome Ogani »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Impatient American" by Patrick J Roelle / Mr. Pat.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Mr. Pat was hired in the summer of 1986 by an American Egyptian Joint Venture, EGICON, as Project Director, overseeing the construction of a military computer facility for the Egyptian Army. The project was being administered by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Interference was being run by the U.S. Office of Military Cooperation. He applied for the job alongside a man named Don, but he was hired instead because he had experience with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which gave him credibility. This led Don to make things difficult for Mr. Pat as he was made state project director, and most times, certain things had to go through him for approval. As of 1986, Mr. Pat was forty-four years old and had married a woman named Mary for over 20 years, but the marriage was turbulent. Their marriage was blessed with four kids. He was also a grandfather. The reason Mr. Pat applied for the job in the first place was that he was trying to avoid an IRS agent who believed he owed $600,000 in payroll taxes. He needed to remain out of the country for at least a year to gain tax-free status. 

Whatever Patrick read in the news report or saw in the movies didn't prepare him for what he met when he arrived in the country. Here's some advice from Mr. Pat: If you're going to travel to a foreign country, take a short course in the language. Along the various stops he had to take to get to his destination, he met with Cesar, the CEO of the American part of the joint venture. He was to meet with Dr. Osmond, who was the CEO of the Egyptian part of the joint venture, when he arrived in Cairo. Will Mr. Pat’s experience in Egypt change anything in him? Get a copy of The Impatient American: In Egypt Where Two Cultures Clash by Patrick J. Roelle Sr. /Mr. Pat to join him on this journey. 

I had a great experience reading this book because of Mr. Pat’s experiences and his funny remarks. On arrival at the airport, Mr. Pat encountered different types of problems, but one worthy of note involved his Dell tower. He was asked to pay a duty that was higher than the amount used to purchase the Dell tower, and he told them they could keep it. Going to a country with a different language and culture can be quite an experience, and I so loved how the author handled all the hurdles he experienced. 

An aspect of this book that I also loved was when there was a relationship between two religions (Christians and Muslims.) It shows the low tolerance for inter-denominational marriages and how one would always go to engulf the other in the process. This book also touched on the behaviors and characteristics of liberal American women. Finally, I love that while immersing himself in work for the project he was working on, the author also found time to describe the people and culture. I enjoyed reading this book, and I rate it 4 out of 5 stars. I removed a star from the rating because I found errors while reading it, which shows that the book still needs to undergo another round of editing. I recommend this book to anyone who loves to read about different people from different cultures. I would also recommend it to those who love to travel, as the author shared his experience while working in Egypt. There wasn't any other thing I disliked about the book.

The Impatient American
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mojisola Omowunmi Omotosho
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mojisola-omowunmi-omotosho.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 175%

Post by Mojisola Omowunmi Omotosho »

Your insights into "The Impatient American: In Egypt Where Two Cultures Clash" by Patrick J. Roelle Sr./Mr. Pat is captivating, highlighting Mr. Pat's humorous encounters and cultural observations. The mention of the book's handling of cultural hurdles and inter-religious dynamics adds depth to their review, making it a compelling read for those interested in cultural exploration.
A Blissful World!
Areena David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Areena David »

I believe that this story is very suitable for readers who are interested in reading stories about people from different cultural backgrounds. The story shows how people from different cultures can communicate and learn from each other, and how love can overcome differences.
Sandre Lamar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandre-lamar.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Sandre Lamar »

This book is a humorous and eye-opening account of navigating cultural differences abroad. Mr. Pat's anecdotes are both entertaining and insightful, capturing the challenges of international travel.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”