Review of The Insignificant LIfe of Bert

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annabell Samuel
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annabell-samuel.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Review of The Insignificant LIfe of Bert

Post by Annabell Samuel »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Insignificant LIfe of Bert" by Bertie Ball.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Bert is not your typical guy. Even though he tries to be a perfectionist, his lack of confidence is always the bane of his life. Bert's best friend, Charlie, lives a carefree life. Together, they try to make a name for themselves in the music world. Beyond music, Bert also tries his hands on other things. Will he succeed in them, or will his lack of confidence sabotage him? Find out in this unusual memoir, "The Insignificant Life of Bert" by Bertie Ball. Trust me, the outcomes in this book will surprise and humor you.

First, it's been a long time since I read a book that got me laughing from the beginning to the end. This book is so humorous that even a melancholic person will find something to laugh about. I had to take short breaks to catch my breath; I didn't want to get carried away by the humor and lose sight of other aspects of the book. I was pleasantly surprised that the author had such humor in him, considering that he struggled with depression. I also liked that the humor was not dry, and the author also laced the humor with sarcasm.

Beyond the humor, the book sheds light on society's demand and pressure to be successful at certain stages in life. The author looks at his life at 30 and fears that he has failed because he has not achieved all the things he is expected to achieve at that age. While reading this part of the book, I saw a subtle cry for leniency, as our journeys are different. 

I also appreciated the author's openness and honesty in writing this book. He did not sweep anything under the carpet. He even said he hoped some people would not get their hands on this book, as they might sue him. The author was raw and bared his heart in this book. He did not sugarcoat any experience. However, I saw someone genuinely wanting to live and make something out of life. Many readers will connect deeply to the author's story.

I do not dislike anything regarding the content and narration. However, the editing is far from professional. Because of the number of grammar and spelling errors, I rate the book four out of five stars. I recommend this book to people who enjoy a humorous and genuine narration of an individual trying to make the best of life.

The Insignificant LIfe of Bert
View: on Bookshelves
Areena David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Areena David »

"A meaningful, important, and enjoyable book for those who want to achieve success but lack self-confidence."
Sandre Lamar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandre-lamar.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Sandre Lamar »

"The Insignificant Life of Bert" by Bertie Ball is a hilarious and poignant story that goes deep into Bert's struggles with confidence and societal expectations. It's both a laugh-out-loud comedy and a heartfelt exploration of life's challenges and triumphs.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”