Official Review: Dual Mission by Nino Perrotta

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: Dual Mission by Nino Perrotta

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dual Mission" by Nino Perrotta.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dual Mission by Nino Perrotta is the author’s memoir describing his important role in the financial investigation that took down John Angelo “Junior” Gotti, the son of the well-known New York City mobster, John Gotti.

Nino Perrotta, son of Italian immigrants, grew up working and spending lots of time in his parents’ deli after school. At the same time, he was forever daydreaming about fighting the Mafia when he’d become an adult. Much to his father’s disappointment, once he left school, instead of taking over the deli, Nino started a career as a law enforcement professional. Over the years, he was promoted until he landed a job with the New York State Organized Crime Task Force as a special investigator focusing on John “Junior” Gotti. Finally, Nino Perrotta’s childhood dream came true.

The book chronicles his work as a detective, and later on as a Secret Service agent, concentrating on his fight against financial crimes committed by the Mafia. A few chapters also talk about his second type of assignment (hence the title of the book) as a security detail for presidents and government officials from within and outside the United States.

In his memoir, the author also recounts a few operations in which he took part in Bulgaria and Romania. The way he depicts the two Eastern European countries is quite unflattering. He describes Bulgaria as grey. Nothing tastes the way food tastes in Italy. There is no real Italian parmesan in Bulgarian restaurants. Coffee is horrible. Everything is ugly, apart from the beautiful Bulgarian women (something the author mentioned several times in the book). When he talks about Romania, he mostly describes the begging gypsies who would mutilate their children’s bodies and send them on the streets to beg or steal. Now, when people read Dual Mission, those horrible gypsies will be forever etched in their minds, when in fact, the “?igani” are but a minuscule minority and not representative of the country at all.

Throughout the book, the author uses lots of details when describing the places he has been to, people he has met, and work he has done over the years. Through his pages, I have learned about the heavy rivalry that happens among the various official agencies (especially the FBI vs everyone else). More than once, the FBI would withhold information crucial to solving a particular case Nino Perrotta was working on, which was quite frustrating. While talking about his work as an investigator, the author often switched to anecdotes from his younger years spent living with his parents. The switch, which would occur from one paragraph to the next, was often unexpected, and it took me a sentence or two to realize that we’re no longer in the present.

At only some 250 pages, Dual Mission is in need of an editing job. The manuscript is full of grammatical, spelling, and punctuation mistakes. Commas are omitted after introductory phrases, but you can find them splitting phrases that should not be split. The author uses “alluded” repeatedly instead of “eluded” and leaves out articles before nouns, like “in country” instead of “in the country.” Then we have phrases such as “mistrusted the police in American” (instead of America), and “Tony was very street savvy, and a quality one can only get” (which begged the removal of “and” to correct the meaning). A good editor could also tighten up the pages for a smoother flow of the narrative.

The book offered an interesting glimpse into the life of an officer of the law who took upon himself to weaken the Mafia’s power. He set out to do a job, and he was really successful at it. However, the many editing errors left me no choice but to lower the rating to 3 out of 4 stars. I do recommend it to people who love reading about going against the Mafia and to readers who enjoy biographies and memoirs.

Dual Mission
View: on Bookshelves

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

I enjoy reading crime books a lot; even with the numerous mistakes highlighted, I definitely will lookout the book. Nice review.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Kislany, I always enjoy reading your reviews. You seem to be able to go right to the heart of the matter when it comes to explaining both the strengths and the weaknesses of a book. This really sounds like a book I would enjoy, but would really like them to do a remedial edit first to get rid of the worst offenses, as they would drive me crazy and for me would detract from the enjoyment of the book.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Investigative and spy books are always a great read. I can't blame the author for painting Bulgaria and Romania in a bad light. Maybe he was just homesick.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

@kwahu thank you, it is a good book to read.

@Kat Berg gosh, thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

@Mercy Bolo I do understand where the author is coming from; however, as it happens, I was born in Romania and lived my first 21 years there, so his descriptions really hurt, especially since I knew that he pointed out something that was not even important in the large scheme of things. The author focused way too much on the negative without actually showing any real positive to the two countries at all.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the errors, but it sounds like there are a lot of interesting events in his life. Thanks for the review. Sounds like it could be 4 stars with a good editor.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MaryBurris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryburris.html
Latest Review: When Pigs Fly by Susan Fries

Post by MaryBurris »

This sounds like an interesting book, but I would have to agree with you - too many errors make it difficult to read. Hopefully, the author will take the time to fix the errors and release an updated version.
“Reading without reflecting is like eating without digesting.”
― Edmund Burke
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

A true story about the crackdown on a crime boss seems interesting enough, but I am very put off by bad editing. Looks like I'll be passing on this one.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I love Nino's determination. This sounds like an interesting book, its just a pity about all the errors. Thank you for your review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

This is a good, but critical review considering the unflattering approach to Europe and numerous errors. Nice work once again, Kislany.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Great review. The childhood dream that Nino pursues regardless of his father's wish speaks volume of his resolve and focus. Iam sure he made an excellent detective.
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

I'm not sure if this is one I'd be interested in, and I'm especially put off by all the errors. On the other hand, this was a great review to read! :)
EVANSO
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by EVANSO »

I think the interesting part of the book outweighs the numerous errors highlighted. The book really is intriguing. Thanks
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

I loved your book, and I hope my review conveyed that. That minor sore point with the two Easter European countries was just something that, having lived in those parts of the world during those times, weighed on my mind, so I had to mention it as part of the review because how could I not? It was merely a paragraph and definitely not part of my final rating of the book. Honestly, if the book's next edition is properly proofread and edited, my rating can definitely jump to 4 out of 4 stars, because overall, it deserves it.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

A story of childhood dreams fulfilled, a mafia boss nailed , I am sure it will make a good read if it where not for the grammatical errors. A good Editor will definitely make it a 4 star book. Hope the author will take note of the mistakes and correct them and produce a corrected edition. A great review there as usual, thank you.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”