Official Review: Out of Rushmore's Shadow: The Luigi Del ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Re: Official Review: Out of Rushmore's Shadow: The Luigi Del

Post by Mercelle »

It is unfortunate that many people who contribute to society in such a great way are swept under the rug. This is such an inspirational story.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

Thank you for the book review, it is richly informational.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

You had me in tears, just with the review. I'm a huge history buff and love stories of unsung heroes. Definitely adding this one to my ever-growing need to read list.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A memoir about the author's grandfather, one of the craftsmen that craved the Mount Rushmore National Memorial sounds intriguing. It is odd that nobody ever recognized his work on the granite sculpture. Well done to the author for setting the record straight. I don't read the genre, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
rusyalana
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 156

Post by rusyalana »

Memoirs are not my cup of tea, though history is always interesting to read about and I'm sure there are lots of people who will enjoy this book. And I'm glad that the author's grandfather finally got credited for the enormous contribution he did for the American history.
mohammedaslam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 258
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mohammedaslam »

A well written review about a story on a person who contributed so much to integral building, but was not even mentioned for his work. The reviewer has taken due care in highlighting the important aspects of the story, and this makes it easy to decide on getting this wonderful book.
TrishKissane
Currently Reading: Transforming Faith
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishkissane.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by TrishKissane »

It just goes to show....in time, the truth will come out. Did not appeal to me to read because I found the first few chapters almost childishly written but it is certainly fantastic that this grandchild of Luigi had the patience to dig out the evidence to credit Luigi for being part of a great historical monument in the US.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

This sounds like an amazing story. I love nonfiction in general, and especially learning life stories about people with incredible talent and dedication to their trade.
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. I don’t read many memoirs but this one sounds like a must read. The author’s quest to get his grandfather the recognition that he so obviously richly deserved and the view of Luigi’s life has me totally sold on this book. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

I have not tried reading any biography yet. Let me try this one. Thanks for the nice review :)
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

It's so crazy to imagine how history is still being discovered. I'm glad the author was able to share his immigrant grandfather's story - who was the Chief Carver of the Mount Rushmore monument - for others to learn. Too bad that the story took a long time to come out, but it's amazing to hear that the author persisted so much to get this story out. I love how the author wrote in everyday language and an emotional way. Thank you for sharing and I'm glad you enjoyed the book!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
chrstnafd
Currently Reading: Out of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by chrstnafd »

It really saddens me whenever I read something about not being acknowledged for the work they worked so hard. This book tells what mostly happening nowdays. Great review!
sherif olabode
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 71

Post by sherif olabode »

:o :o :o i have just finish reading now,In this memoir, a man details his efforts to win recognition for his grandfather’s contributions to the construction of Mount Rushmore.
Del Bianco (In the Shadow of the Mountain, 2012) enjoyed an especially tight bond with his grandfather Luigi Del Bianco, a talented sculptor and carver. The author’s grandfather worked as the chief carver on the Mount Rushmore project under the famous designer, Gutzon Borglum, the only worker to have such an elevated distinction. But when an authoritative guide on Mount Rushmore was published in 1985, the author’s grandfather wasn’t even mentioned. Del Bianco was inspired to research his grandfather’s participation with the help of his uncle Caesar Del Bianco, who wrote to Lincoln Borglum, the designer’s son, for more information, correspondence that confirmed the significance of the role the author’s grandfather played. Del Bianco was encouraged by another author who wrote about Mount Rushmore to travel to the Library of Congress and inspect the “Borglum Papers,” a massive storehouse of correspondence Borglum wrote, a valuable historical resource. The author traveled to Mount Rushmore and tirelessly lobbied the site’s administrators to provide some official recognition of his grandfather’s achievement. The remembrance roughly bifurcates into two storylines—Del Bianco’s quest to achieve an official acknowledgement of his grandfather’s work and to create a biography of the man, an Italian immigrant who lived a remarkably eventful life. Born in 1892 aboard a ship sailing off the coast of France, he moved to the United States in 1908 at 17. He returned to Italy in 1915 to fight in World War I, and when he re-entered the United States, a friend introduced him to both Borglum and his future wife, Nicoletta.
Del Bianco doggedly tracks down every available shred of information about his grandfather with the meticulousness of a forensic accountant. What emerges is not only an extraordinary biography, and an astute history of Mount Rushmore’s construction, but also an endearing account of a man’s loving homage to his grandfather. The author produced and starred in a one-man show about his grandfather, an act he was invited to perform at Mount Rushmore for a Fourth of July celebration. Del Bianco’s prose is clear and buoyant. It’s easy to be drawn into his infectious enthusiasm for the subject matter. Also, he provides an instructive technical analysis of the construction of Mount Rushmore. The recollection unfolds like a suspenseful drama, keeping the reader waiting to share the author’s discoveries and see if his grandfather is eventually accorded recognition for his work. The book includes old photographs detailing the author’s travels, his grandfather’s life, and Mount Rushmore and features pertinent documents and correspondence. Though a personal memoir, the information about Mount Rushmore should appeal to a wide audience, which will likely include those interested in either American history or sculpture.
An entertaining, inspiring memoir that ably captures an important slice of American history.
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

I thought this would be fiction, so the review surprised me. I'm not a big fan of memoirs, but I appreciate when authors include scanned documents or photos, so I might check this one out. When looking at those, it sometimes seems like the reader is invading the author's privacy, but it also makes the book a lot more interesting and plausible. I only hope that at least most information about Luigi's life and work is actually true.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Learning the hidden history of the chief carver of My. Rushmore sounds interesting. Adding to my TBR list congrats on being BOTD
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”