Review of Healing My Soul On Purpose

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Seetha E
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Organic Raised Bed Gardening Made Simple
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: Walter The Woogobee by Brenda Beckelman

Review of Healing My Soul On Purpose

Post by Seetha E »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Healing My Soul On Purpose" by Pamelajune Banks-Anderson, D.Min..]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

LCDR (Ret) Pamelajune Banks-Anderson, a devout follower of Christ, theologian, and minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, is the esteemed author of the book Healing My Soul on Purpose: A Veteran's Guide to Suicide Prevention. It is imperative to note that she does not hold credentials as a psychiatrist, psychologist, or therapist.

The author explains the rationale behind reading this literary work in the introduction. Emphasizing the importance of a joyful heart, peace of mind, and the profound experience of God's love, her intention is for readers to be mindful of the heroism of figures such as King Saul, Samson, and Jesus as the commander-in-chief. She substantiates this with their respective experiences with suicide and suicide ideation, as documented in the Bible.

Grounded on Biblical interpretations, her objective is to bridge the divide between religious leaders and veterans, fostering a deeper understanding of the painful circumstances and moral injuries endured by veterans. Additionally, she highlights the collateral damage for their dependents, urging all to recognize and honor veterans as sacred individuals deserving of the utmost respect and humane treatment. Notably, she accentuates the unique challenges faced by Vietnam War veterans. 

In doing so, the author aims to ensure veterans, especially LGBTQ veterans, have access to their VA benefits to facilitate a dialogue that can aid religious leaders in comprehending suicide intervention, specifically for individuals who suffer in silence, and to equip them with the knowledge to intervene in cases of suicide and self-destructive behavior, thereby reducing the incidence of suicides among veterans. She invites fellow veterans to explore spiritual experiences through various means, such as dreams, visions, silence, revelation knowledge, meditations, affirmations, and nature.

The author's non-judgmental approach to faith and religion is noteworthy. I appreciate that she shuns an environment that discourages inquiries about faith. Consequently, I support her endeavor to bestow significant value upon addressing fundamental questions related to identity, heritage, purpose, potential, and destiny while maintaining faith throughout. A lack of knowledge of these fundamental aspects can leave any human feeling utterly adrift at the culmination of life's journey. 

The information presented confirms that the repercussions of war persist long after the conflicts have ended. Being present and finding a means to assist are central to her mission. The book served as a revelation regarding discrimination at multiple levels and the true essence of faith in our lives. 

I suggest that the author reconsider the placement of snippets in a way that does not disturb the formatting on the page. Those can be placed as subtexts with slightly smaller or different fonts for an appealing layout. I also found a few minor errors. As these points did not take away from the reading experience, and with nothing negative to state, I rate this book five out of five stars for its profound insights.

This work presents a substantial exploration of the unique circumstances faced by Vietnam War veterans and the heightened prevalence of suicide among LGBTQ veterans. While the target audience primarily comprises veterans, the text serves as a valuable resource for individuals contemplating self-harm, as well as for all segments of society engaged in providing support to these individuals. The practical directives within the book offer a source of optimism and the requisite clarity. Given the nature of the subject matter, it is pertinent to note that the book is intended for a mature readership.

Healing My Soul On Purpose
View: on Bookshelves
Areena David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Areena David »

A book that helps people who are suffering from psychological trauma in general
Nevkar Ayemger Ayem
Currently Reading: House of Eire
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Nevkar Ayemger Ayem »

A must read for devoted christian homes
Last edited by Nevkar Ayemger Ayem on 07 Jul 2024, 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
Nevkar Ayemger Ayem
Currently Reading: House of Eire
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Nevkar Ayemger Ayem »

A must read for devoted christian homes
Sandre Lamar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandre-lamar.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Sandre Lamar »

This book is a compelling read for those seeking deeper spiritual understanding and compassion.
Anthony Caleb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-caleb.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Anthony Caleb »

Certainly can't wait to have a read of this book to increase my faith in God.
Slippy Spectrum
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slippy-spectrum.html
Latest Review: Sister B by David Charles Hart

Post by Slippy Spectrum »

This book, "Healing My Soul on Purpose: A Veteran's Guide to Suicide Prevention" by LCDR (Ret) Pamelajune Banks-Anderson, seems to be a valuable and insightful read. It explores the unique challenges faced by Vietnam War veterans and emphasizes the importance of understanding and supporting our veterans, especially LGBTQ veterans. With a non-judgmental approach to faith and religion, the author provides practical directives and encourages spiritual experiences to aid in suicide prevention. The book appears to be a profound resource for veterans, individuals struggling with self-harm, and those involved in providing support. Overall, I rate this book five out of five stars for its profound insights and valuable content. Heartfelt resolutions, left me feeling deeply satisfied.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”