Official Review: The Influence of Military Strategies to ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Official Review: The Influence of Military Strategies to ...

Post by Scerakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Influence of Military Strategies to Business" by M.D. White.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For all of recorded history, human beings have waged war against one another. Ever since that first battle, we have studied that very act of war. It is, therefore, no surprise that Sun Tzu’s The Art of War is still studied today. M.D. White takes the study of war one step further and applies those strategies (and others) directly to business and business models in The Influence of Military Strategies to Business.

This book touches on many of the important aspects of running a business (as well as leading a company) and makes the parallels between them and military strategies. Many of the military concepts in
this book come from Sun Tzu’s famous work, but M.D. White also touches on some other aspects of warfare. He equates the strategies found in military doctrine to business planning, business models, market analysis, strategies for large and small companies, selling strategies, innovation, and more. By approaching the marketplace as your battleground/environment, your competitors as your enemy, and market research as intelligence gathering, it is easy to see how companies are able to apply the multitude of military strategies to their advantage.

As a military officer, I absolutely love the idea of equating military strategies to business practices. What many people forget is that, when you get down to it, a nation’s armed forces are a business as well. I love the concept that researching timeless texts could potentially give rise to revolutionary developments in the field of business. I really enjoyed that White was able not only to make the comparisons between warfare and business but also give relevant examples of real-life companies’ successes (and failures) based on the concepts presented. It brings the ideas that White is proposing down to the working level and makes them a reality for the reader. What I liked the most about this book was the particular chapters on offensive and defensive strategies. It was extremely interesting for me to see these particular concepts of warfare (e.g. shock and awe, flanking attack, strategic withdraw, etc) applied to a particular commercial sales approach.

Although I like the concept of this book in general, I found that it was poorly put together as a whole. I found that the flow from chapter to chapter didn’t really work to its advantage and, in fact, led to more confusion than clarification. As well, there was little consistency in both the syntax and the wording. For example, even in the table of contents, some chapters are all in capitals while others are not, the title of Sun Tzu’s work is both in quotes and not, and there is no consistency in chapter naming. In the chapters themselves, I would have expected there to always be a comparison between the military strategies presented and business, but this did not end up being the case. I found that some chapters would go on for pages at a time simply discussing business best practices (without any link to military strategy) and others simply discussed elements of Sun Tzu's work without making the appropriate business connection. Finally, and what I liked least about the book, is how the exact same quotes or examples were used many times over and in different chapters. One particular quote from Sun Tzu, regardless of its relevance, was used at least six additional times throughout the book. This repetition gives the book the impression that there is little material to work with if it is forced to reuse a single quote again and again.

I really wanted to enjoy this book. I was looking forward to a comprehensive and well-organized treaty on the translation of military strategies to business processes/tactics. Unfortunately, this book fell short of my expectations for the reasons outlined in the paragraph above. That being said, if you can get past the book bouncing between topics, it does have an interesting message and presents some thought-provoking ideas. For this reason, I will give this book 2 out of 4 stars. If you are a voracious consumer of business strategy literature, I honestly think that you will get some very good nuggets of information and food for thought from this book. If you are just a casual reader or a stickler for information flow in your non-fiction books, this one won’t be for you.

The Influence of Military Strategies to Business
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Scerakor's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Once again, this is one of those books that sounds like it would benefit from a good editor. Someone that can help with the flow of topics and chapters as well as editing. I'm sure there are good strategies to use mixed in there. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
The Irmuun
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by The Irmuun »

I loved the influence of Military Strategies to Business, if had this book ten years ago my business journey would have been so much easier and less frightening.

It is a very exciting book and clears the mind of any fear of the future and what to do next, you feel your confidence grow with every page you turn, hearing the inner voices go from I can't do this, to I can do this, to I want to do this to, I am doing it, I have taken the first step. Wow, I am on my way :)
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I was getting interested in reading this book until you said it was poorly put together.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

Too bad this book did not meet your expectations. There was definite potential there, from the way it sounds. Maybe better preparation would have been beneficial to the final outcome. It is an interesting concept to draw parallels between military strategies and business practices. I probably won't be reading this book, but I appreciate your review.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

From the way you say it, it sounds the book has a lot of potential. A good Editor would do the trick. Let me hasten to say that I am tempted to read the book because of the unusual link between military strategies and the business fratenity. A splendid review though, well done.
Amica
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Amica »

Good for busy people who want to learn more about job
NWOBODO P A
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by NWOBODO P A »

This book is good for business morgues, a gave it 3 out of 4 stars# millitary stratregies.
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

Thanks for the thorough review. It's been helpful in gaining an insight into the subject matter. I feel sorry that despite having the interesting and useful information, this book couldn't be rated well because of the mentioned flaws.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Appling military knowledge to business is certainly a good idea. For it's passionate and zealous. Nice review.
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

I no doubt agree that great strategies are needed for great business successes. Great review.

-- 24 Oct 2017, 06:04 --

I no doubt agree that great strategies are needed for great business successes. Great review.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Hmm, I have been reading a lot lately about business practices, particularly in the realm of leadership and management, so this seems like a book I would check out, but especially in non-fiction it is extremely hard for me to look past poor editing. Primarily because it makes me wonder if the information is trustworthy (although I'm not sure that is an entirely just concern). Such a shame, but thanks for the insightful review.
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

oh, so sad for your experienced on this book. War is sometimes betrayed by their own race for business purposes. WSell, nice review. Cheers!
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

There is nothing more disappointing than to read a good book with a serious need for editing. Thanks for the review.
Goaldiggergirl
Currently Reading: My Sister, My Friend
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Goaldiggergirl »

Actually it's a good book. And i've realized that once you have a business you should think what kind of strategies you need to do to get a customers/clients. And base on the story, yeah! They look like military too.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”