Review of Coincidence, You Say?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annabell Samuel
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annabell-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Hoplites of Leith by Gordon George Kinghorn

Review of Coincidence, You Say?

Post by Annabell Samuel »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Coincidence, You Say?" by Patrick Hogan.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

One of the beautiful things I've seen is that war veterans can now pen down their personal experiences and publish them as books for public consumption. Over the years, there's been a dichotomy between what the media says about the events of these wars and what the key players have to say. So, with veterans sharing their war experiences, we can compare personal accounts with official publications to see where there are information gaps. On this note, I express my joy in reading "Coincidence, You Say?" by Patrick Hogan.

In this book, the author shares his experiences during and after the war. He also tells the tale of his time at the Teaneck Police Department. He also spends a significant portion of the narrative talking about his health challenges, struggles with the Division of Veterans Affairs (DVA), and his faith in God. This book is a compendium of an emotional and spiritual journey.

I already stated that I was happy to read this book, as I would always jump on any book with personal accounts of war veterans. However, this book was more about the author's life after the Vietnam War than his experiences during the war. While the author shared a few of the things he experienced in the war, like the spraying of pesticides in Vietnam that made some veterans like the author sick, this narrative was more about the life of a veteran after the war. The author's experiences were not far from what many other veterans had shared. However, what readers can take away from this narrative is the hope that a lot has changed for the better since the Vietnam War, especially when it involves how veterans are treated.

A key thing to note about this book is the author's strong faith in God and the Bible. He is very vocal about his faith and uses this book as an avenue to share the message of Jesus Christ with interested readers. However, there is more to this book than the author's unequivocal expression of his faith. Some readers will enjoy the stories about his days as a police officer. I like that the author isn't biased about the relationship between the police and the people. However, he uses practical examples to show how a police officer's job can go a long way to save lives.

This book is riddled with pictures. It is untrue to say that every page has a picture, but it feels like the pictures are everywhere. While I appreciate the author's inclusion of pictures, the frequency can be distracting. Sometimes, after looking at a picture, you might want to go back to the texts preceding the picture before continuing with the texts after the picture. However, this is a subjective opinion and does not negatively affect the book's rating.

The book is exceptionally edited. Regardless of the minor concern about being distracted by the frequency of the pictures, I rate it five out of five stars. Lovers of veteran narratives will enjoy this book.

Coincidence, You Say?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Yin Jiang
Currently Reading: The Undercover Economist Strikes Back
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yin-jiang.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Yin Jiang »

This book sounds really interesting! Not sure if I would fully enjoy a veteran narrative, but it sounds very enticing! Thank you for your review :)
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 1027
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Severed Roots by Nego Huzcotoq
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’m sure that the pictures added to your successful reading journey. I have noticed that many veterans, like my father do not enjoy talking about their experiences. While war itself can account for their reluctance, their less than stellar involvement with the government agencies assigned to veteran’s affairs probably contribute to I it as well. Thanks
Loner Pen
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loner-pen.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Loner Pen »

Hey there,

This review gives a positive impression of "Coincidence, You Say?" by Patrick Hogan. It highlights the author's personal experiences after the Vietnam War, his struggles with the Division of Veterans Affairs, and his strong faith in God. The inclusion of pictures throughout the book is noted, although it may be a bit distracting. Overall, it's rated five out of five stars and recommended for those interested in veteran narratives. Give it a read! Authentic dialogue, felt natural and realistic.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”