Review of Fear To Freedom

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1690
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Figments of Persuasion Field Guide by Nancy L Vallette
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 144%

Review of Fear To Freedom

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Fear To Freedom" by Dr Keith L Marshall, PsyD, MHD.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

“No matter what you think, most people do not wake up in the morning and say: ‘Hey, I want to be a drug addict and alcoholic and mess up my life.’” Dr. Keith L. Marshall, Fear To Freedom, pg. 77.

Fear To Freedom is an inspirational autobiography by Dr. Keith L. Marshall. Dr. Keith L. Marshall, who was born in West Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, describes his relationship with his parents and siblings. His neighborhood was riddled with crime and the fear he felt when his father would leave the three young boys alone while his mother worked the graveyard shift. He recalls when he and his brothers went to stay at their aunt Margaret’s house. She was emotionally, verbally, and physically abusive to Keith. It was during this time in his life that he developed feelings of abandonment.

Marshall expands his story to show how he struggled with addiction and his faith in God. For twenty-three years, he fought to break free from his addiction to crack cocaine by going into twenty-five rehabilitation centers and spending several short-term periods in jail. His addiction led to several near-death experiences and the development of self-destructive behaviors. Marshall’s need for validation from others led to promiscuity and infidelity.

Fear To Freedom wasn’t told in chronological order, and Marshall admits he didn’t tell every event that happened to him. His ability to recall significant moments helped to show how he could change the outcome of his life. His inspirational tale includes how he has attempted to make amends with the people he has hurt. I could relate to parts of his story, especially when he spoke of the church rehabilitation program he created that helps non-violent inmates reintegrate into society.

There is nothing negative to say about this autobiography. I agreed with his message of forgiveness and love of self in order to get past feelings of being a victim. Marshall’s struggle with his faith was inspirational. Many addicts pray to God for help with negative effects while still enjoying the high from the drugs. 

I rate Fear To Freedom five out of five stars. The casual narration from Marshall didn’t come across as preaching, but as an offer to see how he made a change in his life. As a father of fourteen children by nine different women, it was interesting how he has rebuilt trust with them. There are several photographs in the book that help illustrate some of Marshall’s life.

Fear To Freedom would be a beneficial book for an addiction therapy office. Addicts and their families could use this to help defeat addiction. Marshall's final words, "Please never give up!” show his intention to provide encouragement to other people. Marshall mentions that a person’s “higher power” does not have to be in the same faith as his own.

Fear To Freedom
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”