Official Review: Husband by JoAnne Blackwelder

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Official Review: Husband by JoAnne Blackwelder

Post by Jaime Lync »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Husband" by JoAnne Blackwelder.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Husband: My 40-year old Marriage To A Gay Man is a memoir that Joanne Blackwelder decided to write soon after Stephen Myron’s (her husband’s) death in 2008. Both the book cover and name, foreshadow that this story is one filled with much emotional pain and marital issues. However, I think it would have been more fitting to use the term, bisexual instead of gay because Myron was attracted to both males and females. Joanne knew Myron’s sexual orientation and even knew that he was not planning to remain faithful to her and she still decided to marry him. She hoped that her love for him would change him. Was she able to somehow transform him before his death? Joanne quickly answers this question and shifts our attention to a bigger puzzle, “How could she stay married for nearly 40 years, to a husband who was gay?”

There were literally only a few things about this book that I enjoyed. As expected from someone who studied English at the Ph.D. level, Blackwelder’s grammar and formatting were speckles. I also appreciated that the diction was free of superfluous words. All the scenes were vividly portrayed and there was hardly any time when I was confused as to what was going on in the story. Unfortunately, that’s about all that I liked about Husband.

Even though I just complimented the author’s use of words, her skills in English literature did not translate into an engaging reading experience. The author recounted what seems to be every single conflict in her forty-year-old marriage. Since most of the issues were recurring, the story was in a forever loop.

My copy was over five-hundred pages long but it felt like it was over five-thousand. I usually only take a week to read a book this length (even with a busy schedule) but it took me a whole month to finish Husband. I must admit that I believe there is an audience for this book since it focuses on marital issues and sexual identity. I would only recommend this to persons who are highly interested in these themes. I would not recommend it to anyone else because the author does a lot of telling and little showing. Also, I could not connect emotionally with any of the characters.

In summary, I rate this novel 2 out of 4 stars. I was tempted to give it one star but there were a few redeeming scenes throughout the book.

Husband
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!
Robert John Apag
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Robert John Apag »

It just reflects a real life situation which is very relevant now. It just shows that love is genderless, love equates love nothing more nothing less.
Annyesha

Post by Annyesha »

I like the story, i guess people need to open their mind that this issues very relevant nowadays..

-- 07 Oct 2017, 06:44 --
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Too bad about this book. You should never go into a marriage thinking you can change someone. It's interesting you can be completely grammatically correct but still not write well.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

This is not the book for me. Your review was very fair and you more than justified the score that you gave it. I do have a great deal of respect for the author for documenting something so personal. I hope by doing this she helps others in similar situations.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
adiaperpala

Post by adiaperpala »

The book is timely and relevant. It reveals more of the things that readers would want to more of relationship, the acceptance. Its like suicide getting into a relationship where you know youre not what he or she wants in his or her entire life but still u keep on fighting because love knows no limits. And it hurts sometimes
fatemeh133
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatemeh133.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by fatemeh133 »

This was a very fair assessment, except you said it better than I would have.
What kept me going was the biographical nature of the book and what it meant for someone to share something so personal.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

I'm sure it took a lot of strength for the author to write this story, while also providing her with some kind of relief. Too bad she wasn't able to write in a more compelling manner. This book does come at a relevant time; not because open relationships are anything new, but because people aren't hiding their choices as much. While this isn't a book for me, perhaps it will help another couple in a similar situation. Thank you for your honest review, and for sharing your thoughts.
sam ifeanyi

Post by sam ifeanyi »

hi everyone I'm new here
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I'm not a fan of books where I can't emotionally connect to the characters. So I probably won't be giving it a read.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I think I'll pass. If I can't connect to the characters and I'm not feeling the plot - especially in such a long novel - I'm moving onto something else. Great review, enjoyed reading it.
wass
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by wass »

I think it takes a lot of carriage to open up about her experience like that because many people may not talk about their personal lives like that, for that reason I appreciate JoAnne for her honesty. Great review.
KeriCraven
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kericraven.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by KeriCraven »

I'm sure that it took a lot of courage for the author to share her story. However, personally I think that you shouldn't go into a marriage or relationship with the idea that you're going to change someone. Thank you for your review.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

The plot sounds great but too bad the writer didn't deliver. I find it hard that she couldn't deliver on the story of her own life, plus having studied English up to the Ph.D. level should have helped big time... ; good review.
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Sarah Immanuel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Currently Reading: The House of Trysts
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sarah Immanuel »

If you love someone, accept them as they are. This book is unique and ofcourse very interesting.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”