Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Non-Fiction Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Husband by JoAnne Blackwelder

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.

Official Review: Husband by JoAnne Blackwelder

Post Number:#1 by Jaime Lync
» 05 Oct 2017, 23:46

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Husband" by JoAnne Blackwelder.]

Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Review by Jaime Lync
Share This Review

Husband: My 40-year old Marriage To A Gay Man is a memoir that Joanne Blackwelder decided to write soon after Stephen Myron’s (her husband’s) death in 2008. Both the book cover and name, foreshadow that this story is one filled with much emotional pain and marital issues. However, I think it would have been more fitting to use the term, bisexual instead of gay because Myron was attracted to both males and females. Joanne knew Myron’s sexual orientation and even knew that he was not planning to remain faithful to her and she still decided to marry him. She hoped that her love for him would change him. Was she able to somehow transform him before his death? Joanne quickly answers this question and shifts our attention to a bigger puzzle, “How could she stay married for nearly 40 years, to a husband who was gay?”

There were literally only a few things about this book that I enjoyed. As expected from someone who studied English at the Ph.D. level, Blackwelder’s grammar and formatting were speckles. I also appreciated that the diction was free of superfluous words. All the scenes were vividly portrayed and there was hardly any time when I was confused as to what was going on in the story. Unfortunately, that’s about all that I liked about Husband.

Even though I just complimented the author’s use of words, her skills in English literature did not translate into an engaging reading experience. The author recounted what seems to be every single conflict in her forty-year-old marriage. Since most of the issues were recurring, the story was in a forever loop.

My copy was over five-hundred pages long but it felt like it was over five-thousand. I usually only take a week to read a book this length (even with a busy schedule) but it took me a whole month to finish Husband. I must admit that I believe there is an audience for this book since it focuses on marital issues and sexual identity. I would only recommend this to persons who are highly interested in these themes. I would not recommend it to anyone else because the author does a lot of telling and little showing. Also, I could not connect emotionally with any of the characters.

In summary, I rate this novel 2 out of 4 stars. I was tempted to give it one star but there were a few redeeming scenes throughout the book.

Husband
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jaime Lync's Latest Review: "Husband" by JoAnne Blackwelder
Jaime Lync

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 12 Books
Goal Completion: 491%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Husband by JoAnne Blackwelder

Post Number:#2 by Robert John Apag
» 07 Oct 2017, 00:05

It just reflects a real life situation which is very relevant now. It just shows that love is genderless, love equates love nothing more nothing less.
Robert John Apag

Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#3 by Annyesha
» 07 Oct 2017, 06:44

I like the story, i guess people need to open their mind that this issues very relevant nowadays..

-- 07 Oct 2017, 06:44 --
Annyesha

Post Number:#4 by kandscreeley
» 07 Oct 2017, 19:23

Too bad about this book. You should never go into a marriage thinking you can change someone. It's interesting you can be completely grammatically correct but still not write well.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "The Crying Tree Diary" by Lorah Green
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 105 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 86%

Post Number:#5 by Elle Howard
» 08 Oct 2017, 10:37

This is not the book for me. Your review was very fair and you more than justified the score that you gave it. I do have a great deal of respect for the author for documenting something so personal. I hope by doing this she helps others in similar situations.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Elle Howard's Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Elle Howard

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Nook HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 10 Books
Goal Completion: 70%

Post Number:#6 by adiaperpala
» 08 Oct 2017, 10:58

The book is timely and relevant. It reveals more of the things that readers would want to more of relationship, the acceptance. Its like suicide getting into a relationship where you know youre not what he or she wants in his or her entire life but still u keep on fighting because love knows no limits. And it hurts sometimes
adiaperpala

Post Number:#7 by fatemeh133
» 08 Oct 2017, 19:37

This was a very fair assessment, except you said it better than I would have.
What kept me going was the biographical nature of the book and what it meant for someone to share something so personal.
fatemeh133

Currently Reading: Forever Twelve
Bookshelf Size: 16 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#8 by Christina Rose
» 09 Oct 2017, 00:31

I'm sure it took a lot of strength for the author to write this story, while also providing her with some kind of relief. Too bad she wasn't able to write in a more compelling manner. This book does come at a relevant time; not because open relationships are anything new, but because people aren't hiding their choices as much. While this isn't a book for me, perhaps it will help another couple in a similar situation. Thank you for your honest review, and for sharing your thoughts.
Christina Rose's Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Christina Rose

Currently Reading: The One
Bookshelf Size: 101 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 49 Books
Goal Completion: 75%

Post Number:#9 by sam ifeanyi
» 09 Oct 2017, 01:31

hi everyone I'm new here
sam ifeanyi

Post Number:#10 by Amagine
» 09 Oct 2017, 06:31

I'm not a fan of books where I can't emotionally connect to the characters. So I probably won't be giving it a read.

Great Review! 👻
"Writing something in the spirit of Halloween is just second nature to me." -Danny Elfman

"One must be a little crazy to write a good novel." -John Gardner
Amagine's Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Amagine
Bookshelves Moderator

Favorite Author: Dr. Seuss
Favorite Book: Writing Irresistible Kidlit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 706 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 45%

Post Number:#11 by kislany
» 09 Oct 2017, 12:34

I think I'll pass. If I can't connect to the characters and I'm not feeling the plot - especially in such a long novel - I'm moving onto something else. Great review, enjoyed reading it.
kislany

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#12 by wass
» 09 Oct 2017, 16:55

I think it takes a lot of carriage to open up about her experience like that because many people may not talk about their personal lives like that, for that reason I appreciate JoAnne for her honesty. Great review.
wass

Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 6 books

Post Number:#13 by KeriCraven
» 10 Oct 2017, 16:57

I'm sure that it took a lot of courage for the author to share her story. However, personally I think that you shouldn't go into a marriage or relationship with the idea that you're going to change someone. Thank you for your review.
KeriCraven's Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
KeriCraven

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 13%

Post Number:#14 by geoffrey ngoima
» 10 Oct 2017, 20:02

The plot sounds great but too bad the writer didn't deliver. I find it hard that she couldn't deliver on the story of her own life, plus having studied English up to the Ph.D. level should have helped big time... ; good review.
geoffrey ngoima's Latest Review: "So Beware" by James Hockenberry
geoffrey ngoima

Currently Reading: The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain
Bookshelf Size: 107 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 42%

Post Number:#15 by jsphllkn2017
» 13 Oct 2017, 18:41

There were literally only a few things about this book that I enjoyed. As expected from someone who studied English at the Ph.D. level, Blackwelder’s grammar and formatting were speckles. I also appreciated that the diction was free of superfluous words. All the scenes were vividly portrayed and there was hardly any time when I was confused as to what was going on in the story. Unfortunately, that’s about all that I liked about Husband.

Even though I just complimented the author’s use of words, her skills in English literature did not translate into an engaging reading experience. The author recounted what seems to be every single conflict in her forty-year-old marriage. Since most of the issues were recurring, the story was in a forever loop.

My copy was over five-hundred pages long but it felt like it was over five-thousand. I usually only take a week to read a book this length (even with a busy schedule) but it took me a whole month to finish Husband. I must admit that I believe there is an audience for this book since it focuses on marital issues and sexual identity. I would only recommend this to persons who are highly interested in these themes. I would not recommend it to anyone else because the author does a lot of telling and little showing. Also, I could not connect emotionally with any of the characters.
jsphllkn2017

Currently Reading: The Spirit of Want
Bookshelf Size: 45 books

Next