Review by Ferdinand_otieno -- The Banned Book about Love

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Review by Ferdinand_otieno -- The Banned Book about Love

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Banned Book about Love by Scott Hughes is a non-fiction book. The book dives into the normal disposition taken by the public in many issues concerning crime and law. The book is incredibly short and to the point. The author wrote this book and released it exclusively through Amazon. I think this is a book that must be read.

The author starts the book by explaining that Brock Turner was arrested on three felonies: assault with intent to rape an intoxicated woman, sexually penetrating an intoxicated person with a foreign object, and sexually penetrating an unconscious person with a foreign object. The author tells us that the suspect was highly intoxicated at the time and the general view the public has towards him. The author says that he loves Brock Turner because hating him is not the path to take. The author continues to explain that hate is used as an easy means to an end and that the public should strive to love everyone. He explains that love does not warrant tolerance of crime and that we should learn to love because hate is a very easy and slippery road to walk on. The author expresses his values and reminds as that love takes work and dedication.

The main theme I encountered in this book was injustice. The author explains why the public's view on Brock Turner is misconstrued and unjust to the actual circumstances of the event. The author also highlights the injustice of jumping to hate without giving love and justice an opportunity. The other themes I encountered in this book were; love, hate and self-righteousness. The author uses these themes to drive an important message that I found myself agreeing with wholeheartedly.

The author highlighted the normal public opinion on such issues and cautioned against the impulse to jump to hate without comprehending the entire issue. He uses Brock Turner as a sample case for many other issues. The author's message is straightforward and I found myself addicted to the message itself. I agreed with his notion that we are always quick to hate without just cause. I think I found the message to love everyone a little hard to swallow at first, but I found myself agreeing with the author's take. The way the book was written and the message portrayed, I would compare this book to Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is because book was concise and to the point and the message was extremely meaningful. I did not encounter any spelling mistake which helped instill the book's message. The only thing I did not like about this book was how short it was. I think the author could have said more on the issue.

I would recommend this book to everyone, no matter the age or reading preference. The author asks the reader what more he could do to inspire change and I think for me, the answer is to keep writing and keep hoping. I always love reading Scott Hughes writing and I look forward to reading more.

The Banned Book about Love
View: on Bookshelves

Like Ferdinand_otieno's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”