Review of The Road To Weight Loss

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Pranav Dewangan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The Work of My Mother's Hands: A Caregiver's Journey by Dr. Kiplee Bell

Review of The Road To Weight Loss

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Road To Weight Loss" by Oliver James.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Weight loss is always a trendy topic. Many people suffer from obesity, and they try one thing after another in terms of diet, exercise, and whatever else they can get their hands on with little success. In the end, people struggle a lot before giving up and thinking that weight loss is difficult. What if I told you that there is a reason why so-called diets don't work? What if I told you that exercise is not always necessary for weight loss? What if you had one book that could teach you everything that anyone could follow through on? This sounds too good to be true, but it isn't. Read the self-help book The Road To Weight Loss by Oliver James to learn how anyone could do it.

I was surprised by the number of eye-opening facts I learned while reading this book. It goes on to break several myths that I previously had by explaining the science behind them. The book employs the elephant and rider analogy to describe the two sides of the brain. The elephant symbolizes the impulsive and emotional brain, while the rider represents the intellectual and logical half of the brain. Weight loss becomes difficult when the elephant and rider have opposing goals. As a result, the author recommends that you harness the power of the elephant to facilitate weight loss.

There are several things I liked about the book. This book cleared up some myths about weight loss for me. I loved the author's concepts of finding the feeling, bright spots, and shrinking the change. Many of the scientific concepts explained by the author, such as the elephant and rider example, apply to a wide range of aspects of life. I liked how most of the chapters contained to-do lists at the end to start implementing things right away. The guide to the calorie tracking app and tracking sheet provided by the author at the end was a welcome bonus. The last chapter concisely summarizes every concept from the book, and that makes it a perfect end to the book. The editing of the book is professional, with a few minor errors I noted.

The only criticism I have about the book is that it may be made more concise by shortening some theoretical chapters in the second half. However, this is a small issue that only marginally increases reading time.

I would rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. The drawback I have discussed doesn't warrant a lower rating. I recommend this book to anyone who is struggling to lose weight and enjoys reading self-help books. Reading this book taught me so many things that I will remember for the rest of my life.

The Road To Weight Loss
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Leona Rodrigues
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leona-rodrigues.html
Latest Review: Come What May by Marie Fostino
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Leona Rodrigues »

The review is great, highlighting all the pros and cons. The book being a non-fiction doesn't suit my taste so, I would pass on this one!
You may not be the center of the entire world, but you are the center of your own world.
Yin Jiang
Currently Reading: The Undercover Economist Strikes Back
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yin-jiang.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Yin Jiang »

This sounds like a great book that would help to de-mystify weight loss and help individuals lose weight in a healthy way. I have always believed that weight loss needs to be done in a healthy way and not through trendy diets, so maybe I will give this book a read! Thank you!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 1027
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Severed Roots by Nego Huzcotoq
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

If this program really works it sounds great. The problem I have with most self-help books, though, is that the author seems to have all of the answers and if the reader can not achieve the same results it is implied that it is because there is something wrong with them. Thanks!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”