Review by Yaone -- From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yaone
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yaone.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Review by Yaone -- From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Yaone »

[Following is a volunteer review of "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From Drift to Shift by Jody B. Miller is a compilation of true life stories, about different people courageous enough not to let their circumstances dictate their future. This book is marvelous, it encourages fighting for the life each one of us deserves. According to Jody everyone has a story to tell. The most amazing of these stories are those that involve a shift that requires a move from comfort zones to a place of belonging. She defines shift as
to make a change or to cause something to change to a different opinion, belief etc.
The first chapter is simply an elaboration that shift happens. It is based on Serita and Reid Cox, co-founders of iFoster. These two came from unfavorable background; Serita was taken away from her parents as a baby and raised by the foster care system. At first, she was not focused until her physics teacher recommended that she take an exam which got her a scholarship. Jody was awarded the scholarship and that was just the beginning of good things for her. She met Reid who came from a poor family. Together they established iFoster which is a company that helps foster kids strive through training and sourcing jobs for them.

The second chapter focuses on Emilee Garfield; she is a cancer survivor who works as a Movement Educator and Certified Wellness Coach. Her story emphasizes to fight against all odds. She was diagnosed with cancer at the age of four. This put her down at some points of her life but she overcame all of it. One of her life challenges was the many surgeries she had to go through some of which were threatening to take away her body parts. The story of Emilee made me reflect on my life and to appreciate such an easy life I have. This lady is the strongest of all ladies I have come to know, her life story is such an inspiration, she discovered her own purpose, focused on the joys of her lives and she was on top of her game.

The third chapter is my least favorite. It is based on simplicity of life. I did not connect with most of the content in this chapter. One thing that came out clear was to respect the planet we live in and make sure it remains as natural as possible. Other emphasis was made on the importance of paying attention to our dreams because they can reveal more about our current life. On another chapter there is a story of Andy who was a passionate sky diver but had to give it up after an accident. The stories go on and showing the different challenges we face as individuals. I recommend this book to every one who wants inspiration and wish to conquer his/ her trials.

I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. It was an easy read. The English used was good and understandable. The writer did a good job in terms of the flow of the book and the rich content. From reading the book it is evident that Jody dedicated a lot of time interviewing the characters and I appreciate that. I enjoyed the book and would definitely read it again.

From Drift to SHIFT
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Yaone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”