Review of The Devils Clubhouse

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abraham Ozo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abraham-ozo.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Review of The Devils Clubhouse

Post by Abraham Ozo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Devils Clubhouse" by Mike Inferno.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Rocco is the night manager of Club Inferno, a strip club on Long Island. He has the responsibility to pay the night shift staff, handle the register drawers, change boxes, and any other necessary responsibilities that may come up. In The Devils Clubhouse, Mike Inferno showcases what a typical week in the devil's clubhouse looks like, and the topless club is not without drama, fights, and craziness.

The book is exceptionally well edited. I could not find any errors while I read the book. This is highly commendable. The author clearly put down his thoughts, especially regarding the detailed activities that went on in the club and how Rocco can carry out his duties meticulously. Rocco also demonstrated wisdom and maturity in handling some of the delicate situations in the club. I was impressed with the way he handled Sara's suspicions about Jane and Keith. 

However, there are negative aspects to this book as well. The entire plot of the story was poorly executed and had no substance, and at some point, I wondered about the essence of the writing. The dedication of the book led me to expect the plot would revolve around mental health awareness or something closely related to that. While reading the book, I realized the book simply showed the author's proficient knowledge of the duties of a night manager. It felt like I was stuck in an endless loop. It wasn't very pleasant. There were so many opportunities for the author to extend the plot and add more drama, flair, or conspiracy, but they should have been utilized. For instance, Lucy was weirdly infatuated with Rocco, and Rocco would joke about holding Lucy responsible if something happened to him. I thought that was a premonition of something more dramatic happening in the future, but that never happened. 

The story was too one-dimensional. All the story had in its focus was the club; it never ventured into their personal lives or outside work lives. The events were written from a third-person point of view, but major events were only told through Rocco. If Rocco does not talk about it or address it, readers will not know about it. 

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars because the story left a poor impression on me. I recommend it to people who enjoy reading short stories or stories about clubs.

The Devils Clubhouse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ifeanyi Nwokike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Ifeanyi Nwokike »

The author of the book should have expanded the plot as said by the reviewer. With the title, one could be expecting very dramatic characters but it was not so. May the Author take note of the reviewer's points. I commend the candid review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”