Official Review: The Forgotten Lawmen Part 1

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Official Review: The Forgotten Lawmen Part 1

Post by Reuben 92 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Forgotten Lawmen Part 1" by David McCrea.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Forgotten Lawmen Part 1 by D. B. McCrea is a brief memoir based on the author's experiences as game warden in Moody County, South Dakota. Through McCrea's simple explanations, we learn a lot about his job description, as well as many of the obstacles he faced during his early years as warden. Run-ins with the general public, with poachers, and with superiors make for a relatively varied and interesting reading experience, but I did not find myself gripped consistently during the book. I was alternately intrigued and bored by the technicalities of the job and details about the local community.

The main focus of the book was a series of complaints about how demanding the job was, and how much opposition the author faced when he first came to Moody County. It had the potential to be an inspiring tale of a man working his way towards becoming a respected member of a hostile community - and this is what I assume McCrea was aiming for with his narrative. However, I found the tone to be grating in its constant grumbling and carping, and I found that McCrea's confrontational and over-confident style made it difficult for me to sympathise with his difficulties. There is a good deal of repetition in the book; this is mostly related to the reiterated grievance that the locals spread rumours about the author. While this is obviously a horrible situation, I thought that it was overstated to a tedious degree. On the other hand, I really loved the chapter which focused on McCrea's beloved dog Jenny, which I found to be genuinely touching.

A number of McCrea's encounters with poachers are described well and are quite thrilling. The sense of danger and threat comes across strongly. However, other stories are underwhelming and seem to be about routine procedures. There are many humourous interchanges with entitled members of the public, who often have crazy requests for McCrea. This humour was undercut for me by his dismissive and impatient tone towards these people. The author spends a large swathe of time remonstrating about being bad-mouthed and maligned, and an equally large portion in denigrating some of the more tricky members of his community.

In addition, I would not recommend this book to anyone who considers themselves to be an animal rights activist, as there is a whole chapter dedicated to McCrea's extended campaign to oppose such groups. They are mentioned in an aggressive and uncomplimentary manner, and I can envisage this causing offence to some readers. While McCrea receives (and delivers) a lot of verbal abuse, expletives are tastefully censored. Readers sensitive to issues such as hunting and animal suffering might find the book objectionable, as McCrea comes across these things regularly as part and parcel of the job.

The writing was straightforward and fairly engaging. My only complaint in terms of style was that the structure was not particularly well-considered. McCrea jumped about frequently in time and space, often from paragraph to paragraph, in a distracting manner. The chapters that worked best were those in which the author stuck to one time period or event. The formatting of the book is excellent, with a nice layout and several photographs at the halfway point which help the reader to visualise the context. I spotted two errors in punctuation: a misplaced apostrophe and a missing comma. Apart from these minor errors, the book was expertly edited.

In conclusion, I found The Forgotten Lawmen Part 1 to be a bit of a disappointment, and I will not be rushing out to purchase Part 2. Perhaps somebody with a greater interest in the day-to-day workings of a game warden, or with a mindset closer to McCrea's own would find more of value in the book. While McCrea delivers some funny and exciting anecdotes, I soon found the repetitive nature of the book and its overall negative, cavilling tone off-putting. I would give The Forgotten Lawmen Part 1 2 out of 4 stars because of its uneven quality.

The Forgotten Lawmen Part 1
View: on Bookshelves

Like Reuben 92's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Cyril Stephano Lissu
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyril-stephano-lissu.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Cyril Stephano Lissu »

I am too sensitive to animal welfare.So I think this is not a good memoir for me!
Nthabeleng
Currently Reading: Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nthabeleng.html

Post by Nthabeleng »

It could've been inspirational if it well planned. Thanks for the informative review.
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>

Post by Reuben 92 »

Thanks for stopping by Cyril Stephano Lissu and Nthabeleng :)
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, I'm sorry this book wasn't better. It sounds like he used a lot of the book just to rant about how hard his job was. Oh well. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Reuben 92

Post by Reuben 92 »

Yes, that's exactly what happened! Thanks for the comment kandscreeley :)
Proust
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

This One sounds like book that could be subtitled "how to grousse your way through a job that irritate you". That being said, you didn't excellent job of reviewing this book and I thought it was a very fair assessment also.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Reuben 92

Post by Reuben 92 »

Thanks Zelinda, I appreciate your kind comments!
Proust
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

The cover caught my attention, I thought it would be an exciting crime novel. It's a bit disappointing to see it's a memoir. Just like you mentioned, they can often be a bit boring and too technical. However, I might give it a go. Thank you for a detailed review.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Zelinda »

Reuben 92 wrote:Thanks Zelinda, I appreciate your kind comments!
I'll have to do a better job of editing my oral comments, though.
The translation should have written "did a great job" not "didn't ".
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Paulmaina958
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Paulmaina958 »

:cry2:
Reuben 92

Post by Reuben 92 »

Thanks IsabelMay for reading it and commenting!
I'll have to do a better job of editing my oral comments, though.
Zelinda, I hadn't noticed the mistake until you pointed it out! :doh: I guess I read what I want to see anyway! :D
Proust
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

His choice of job even seems odd for one so fervently opposed to animal rights activists! I can believe that some of them don't do themselves any favours and give the rest a bad name, but it sounds as if he is really prejudiced and lacking in empathy.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Reuben 92

Post by Reuben 92 »

Yes, it was a strange mixture. He does care about animals but is also very pro-hunting etc. for practical reasons. But I was shocked by how opposed he was to animal rights groups - it was a very strong reaction!
Proust
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

I don't think this is for me - his attitude towards animal rights groups already ticks me off. Thank you for your review:)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”