Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Non-Fiction Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: The Gifted Storyteller by Gregg Korrol

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.

Official Review: The Gifted Storyteller by Gregg Korrol

Post Number:#1 by L_Therese
» 25 Sep 2017, 18:36

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Gifted Storyteller" by Gregg Korrol.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by L_Therese
Share This Review

There is power in perspective. Perspective is the basis for optical illusions, mind-bending puzzles, and even some forms of humor. Sometimes, learning to change or even just become conscious of one’s perspective can drastically alter one’s day-to-day life. This is the concept illustrated in Gregg Korrol’s book The Gifted Storyteller.

The story centers on the character Michael, who lives a satisfactory life, even if it seems a little bit bland at times. He professes near the beginning of the book to be largely content, but he starts noticing little ways that he is unhappy with his life. For example, when Michael is notified that his boss would like a meeting, Michael spends the interim time worrying about getting in trouble and losing his job only to find out that the boss merely wanted to compliment his work and challenge him with a new assignment. Michael also is shaken up by challenges in his personal life related to an aging family member. When small revelations start piling up, Michael realizes that something needs to change.

Enter Jeannie. The mysterious and aptly-named woman who first speaks with Michael at a bar begins teaching him a new way of viewing the world. Michael struggles for a while, but with practice and coaching, he starts being able to recognize old and new patterns of thinking. This opens up several new choices and opportunities in his personal life as well as in the workplace. For this reviewer, the fact that Michael struggled was especially impressive. Like most people, Michael didn’t learn the presented lessons in an instant. He had to work at it and practice, and he messed up quite a bit. This allows readers to accept their own struggles if they also attempt to adopt the book’s lessons.

The Gifted Storyteller doesn’t resemble a novel in the usual sense. Because there is a greater emphasis on the philosophical concept, elements like setting or secondary characters are less important. There is sufficient context that the story makes sense, but there are few details or embellishments. The overall feeling is that the story is more like a parable. It’s brief, and it was clearly designed to teach a manner of thought and lifestyle. There is no overt religious message, but there are a few instances in which religious concepts could be inferred from subtext.

As I read the book, I noticed no editing errors. The story moved quickly and was organized effectively. The philosophical ideas being communicated are complex, and at times, they seemed pretty unclear. By the end, though, clarity was achieved for both reader and character. Despite occasional moments of confusion, I decided that The Gifted Storyteller merits 4 out of 4 stars. Prospective readers should definitely take into account its genre. This isn’t a thriller or an adventure; it is philosophy with a tinge of spiritualism and perhaps an undercurrent of self-help. If that’s what you’re looking for, however, then Gregg Korrol’s book is certainly an excellent choice for a quick but thoughtful read.

The Gifted Storyteller
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like L_Therese's review? Post a comment saying so!
L_Therese's Latest Review: "The Gifted Storyteller" by Gregg Korrol
L_Therese

Currently Reading: Dead to the World
Bookshelf Size: 1936 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 35%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: The Gifted Storyteller by Gregg Korrol

Post Number:#2 by Snowflake
» 26 Sep 2017, 17:41

Your detailed review really makes this one sound interesting. I'm going to keep it in mind for the future. I am curious about the "philosophy with a tinge of spiritualism".
peace starts with a smile...
Snowflake

Currently Reading: Two Dogs and a Blonde
Bookshelf Size: 235 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 6%

Post Number:#3 by kandscreeley
» 26 Sep 2017, 17:57

I appreciate the detail in this review. There seems to be a lot going on in this novel. I don't think it's one I would enjoy though I do enjoy self help occasionally. Thanks for a really good review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "The Crying Tree Diary" by Lorah Green
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 105 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 86%

Post Number:#4 by Elle Howard
» 26 Sep 2017, 18:49

I am not sure this is the book for me but I did enjoy reading your review. I will add this to novel to my bookshelf for a potential future read. Thanks for the great review!
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Elle Howard's Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Elle Howard

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Nook HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 10 Books
Goal Completion: 70%

Post Number:#5 by Zelinda
» 28 Sep 2017, 16:43

I like it! This sounds like a good way of interjecting philosophy into fiction, and maybe for the reader to grow a little, too.
Thanks, L_Therese, for your review.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Zelinda's Latest Review: "The Expansion" by Christoph Martin
Zelinda

Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: The Last Dragon Slayer
Bookshelf Size: 665 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Goal Completion: 86%

Post Number:#6 by Zupanatural
» 30 Sep 2017, 11:45

Very nice review, L_Therese :) To be honest, based on the cover & title, I was expecting something completely different but self-development themes interest me a lot too.
Zupanatural

Currently Reading: The Book of Strange New Things
Bookshelf Size: 12 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#7 by Kelebogile Mbangi
» 02 Oct 2017, 08:50

I can relate to Michael. The number of times I create problems for myself is ridiculous! I would really enjoy the self help elements in this book, especially those that deal with changing one's perspective.
"I am a woman phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, that's me." - Maya Angelou.
Kelebogile Mbangi's Latest Review: "They Followed Their Dreams" by Michelle Russell
Kelebogile Mbangi

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 115%

Post Number:#8 by hepto
» 04 Oct 2017, 11:07

It is told through a parable, is a quick fun read and is filled with lessons on how to use your voice to empower yourself, and create more happiness and joy.
hepto

Currently Reading: Hiramic Brotherhood: Ezekiel's Temple Prophesy
Bookshelf Size: 20 books
2017 Reading Goal: 15 Books
Goal Completion: 113%