Review of Through a Glass Darkly

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephen Somtochukwu Ezeme
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-somtochukwu-ezeme.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Review of Through a Glass Darkly

Post by Stephen Somtochukwu Ezeme »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Through a Glass Darkly" by David Barclay-Miller.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Through a Glass Darkly by David Barclay-Miller starts with the author's early life in a Christian family. How the parents raised them in Christian ways seems boring to them. The author talked about the several ills he witnessed from religious people as he was growing up. He was very unhappy with the experiences he had with his father as a teenager; sometimes, he was called a demon-possessed boy by his father. To the exorcists, he is the king of demons because they want to expel his demon but cannot. The author expressed his disdain for such experiences.  

David shares his life journey and talks about the hardships he has faced. He was kicked out of the house by his father after multiple failed exorcisms. He went to live with his sister, worked hard at his job, and started earning a modest living. As a teenager, David took on various jobs that took him around the world. The book contains many resourceful but unpleasant stories and bad encounters, like when a male co-worker attempted to proposition him.

The book analytically discusses the social ills surrounding society as he grew up, how he managed to navigate them, and what he did to survive. The information in the book is complex and descriptive. The book is more suitable for an adult reader, as it contains much profanity. There are no negative aspects to the book. I do not dislike the book. I would have appreciated it more if it had more discreet words; this affected my enjoyment of the book.

The sincerity of the author is a positive aspect of the book. I like the book title; it prepares readers for the stories in the book. The writing style is simple. The book is expository and insightful. The editing is flawless. I found it hard to understand and believe some thoughts on religion and society. I rate the book Through a Glass Darkly by David Barclay-Miller 4 out of 5 stars. The reasons for my rating are above.

I recommend the book to societal leaders, as it will open their eyes to the secret ills in society. The book will not be soothing for a child. Parents and guardians will find the book helpful.

Through a Glass Darkly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Stephen Somtochukwu Ezeme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-somtochukwu-ezeme.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Stephen Somtochukwu Ezeme »

The exorcism in the book is quite strange and seems serious, I would have been privileged to watch how these things are done.
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 95
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

This is a great review. I cannot imagine being a family like that . For goodness sake an entire exorcism that could not be successful. This sounds eventful enough for me to go through the pages. I loved your review. It was so creative and descriptive. I'm going for the book now.
Be yourself and nothing less
AGBATA DONALD Chidera
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-donald-chidera.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by AGBATA DONALD Chidera »

The exorcism scene in the book must have been quite intense and intriguing! Exorcisms are often depicted as dramatic and serious rituals, and it's understandable that you would be curious about how they are performed. While exorcisms are often sensationalized in fiction, in reality, they are typically approached with reverence and caution by religious practitioners. It's important to remember that exorcisms are serious spiritual rituals, not entertainment

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”