Review of Life Struggle of a Vietnam Veteran

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nenye Lauraa
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-lauraa.html
Latest Review: Melyssa's Italian Project by Simon Potter

Review of Life Struggle of a Vietnam Veteran

Post by Nenye Lauraa »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Life Struggle of a Vietnam Veteran" by Christopher Rowling.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The author, whose 55th anniversary of being wounded and losing his left eye in the Vietnam War was approaching as he wrote this non-fiction book, wishes to enlighten more people about some of the happenings in the Vietnam War, the effect it had on veterans like himself, and most importantly, to eradicate the negative stereotypes Vietnam veterans face despite endangering themselves and nobly offering acts of service to their country. It explains that veterans are not what many in society would lead us to believe, and it shows how they were just like everyone else at some point in their lives.

Life Struggles of a Vietnam Veteran Out of the Vietnam War by Christopher Rowling shows how Christopher was born out of wedlock, lived with his Aunt Evelyn briefly, and later on, his Uncle Aaron and his cousins, who sometimes mistreated him. The book says how he lived with them until he was drafted into the U.S. Army and was assigned to Vietnam, where he struggled to survive (as he nearly died on many occasions) while fighting the Vietnam War. Surprisingly, after he returned to society, he found out there was a negative stereotype about Vietnam veterans, and this, together with the number of changes Vietnam made to him, made it difficult to fit back in. Get this book to read about the author’s life before, during, and after the war.

I like how the author wishes to throw more light on issues about the war as a veteran himself through this book, and he makes it clear that he's against war, warning American people and citizens everywhere of the deep immorality and utter wrongness of violent approaches like war to solving problems and pleads for an alternative. I love that I was more enlightened about the Vietnam War, especially with original facts from someone who had experienced the war himself.

I also love that I learned some new things, like daylight and nighttime in Alaska and the names of some places in Vietnam. I dislike that there were errors in the page numbers and that the story stopped being reported sequentially at some point. There were also considerable numbers of grammatical errors, all of which disrupted the flow of my reading. This shows that the book lacks professional editing and needs more editing to make it better.

I rate the book 3 out of 5 stars because, aside from the errors present, the way some parts of the story were reported was not really clear. One such instance was when the story said he was drafted into the U.S. Army on August 20th, 1968, and still said he graduated in December, 1966, before they were told they would be deployed to Vietnam right after. He also said he reported to the San Francisco army post in the second week of January 1967, for which he was booked on a commercial airline flight the next day to Vietnam.

All these caused me a bit of confusion because the dates all these took place were earlier than the supposed date of his being drafted into the army. I just think a mistake occurred on one of the dates. Overall, it was a good read, and I would recommend it to people who criticize Vietnam veterans or would love to know more about the Vietnam War.

Life Struggle of a Vietnam Veteran
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”