Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Non-Fiction Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: We live in Social Space by Fred Emil Katz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.

Official Review: We live in Social Space by Fred Emil Katz

Post Number:#1 by L_Therese
» 18 Sep 2017, 17:03

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "We live in Social Space" by Fred Emil Katz.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by L_Therese
Share This Review

How is it possible for human beings to destroy each other? A common theme in literature is man’s inhumanity to man, as many writers across centuries and cultures depict and explore human suffering and cruelty. Writer Fred Emil Katz used his mind and talent to travel in a different direction. A Holocaust survivor, Mr. Katz thought about environments that have allowed or fostered cruelty and attempted to apply nearly-scientific constructs to them in order to explore and explain how it is that people can be so callous and cruel. The result was his non-fiction book, We Live in Social Space.

In We Live in Social Space, Mr. Katz lays out four constructs that depict different aspects of society. The author terms each of these constructions “spaces”. He posits the existence of “Hidden Space”, “Closed Space”, “Transcendent Space”, and “Meaningful Space”. Through these paradigms, Mr. Katz explores societal phenomena such as the sudden resurgence of the taboo, the temporary re-engineering of morality within a certain context, the potential impact of a messianic figure, and the many possible nuances of an action or decision.

Mr. Katz is primarily focused on the Holocaust and the cultural context that allowed it to happen, but since he is attempting to merge some scientific thinking into his theory-building, he does not restrict his social space theories to that era alone. Throughout the book, Mr. Katz draws on other phenomena, from incidents and attitudes emerging from the 2016 United States presidential election to atrocities perpetrated during the Vietnam War to the actions of ISIS terrorist groups. Mr. Katz is able to point out certain similarities in circumstances and events that illustrate and support his theory.

For some readers, this book may seem intimidating. Maybe you’ve never studied philosophy or sociology before, or maybe the book sounds a bit dry. Although this is certainly a serious and sober book, it is also well organized and fairly brief. Readers will find a clear layout with no mechanical errors. There is occasional repetition of some of the examples, but this is deliberate, acknowledged by the author, and done to illustrate a unique point. The author also includes concluding remarks that help the reader keep straight the four social spaces and their implications as well as how they relate to one another. As with any scholarly work of quality, interested readers will also find a section of notes at the end that include a number of citations that influenced Mr. Katz’s work.

Mr. Katz has written four books related to his experience as a Holocaust survivor, and although this one is the fourth in that group, it stands alone. I am pleased to be able to rate We Live in Social Space by Fred Emil Katz 4 out of 4 stars. The book is scholarly, innovative, and understandable. Further, its themes and information are relevant to a vital question in human existence: how are we able to execute such inhumanity, and by extension, how can we stop this from happening again?

We live in Social Space
View: on Bookshelves

Like L_Therese's review? Post a comment saying so!
L_Therese's Latest Review: "The Gifted Storyteller" by Gregg Korrol
L_Therese

Currently Reading: Dead to the World
Bookshelf Size: 1936 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 35%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: We live in Social Space by Fred Emil Ka

Post Number:#2 by 0719672189
» 22 Sep 2017, 00:43

Thanks for the great review,such great book.
0719672189's Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#3 by kandscreeley
» 22 Sep 2017, 07:17

It does seem a little overwhelming, but it seems like there is a lot of good information in it. It looks like something worth delving into. Thanks for a good review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "The Crying Tree Diary" by Lorah Green
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 105 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 86%

Post Number:#4 by kislany
» 22 Sep 2017, 12:06

I studied philosophy in college, but it was so long time ago...I hope the book is not all too overwhelming. Nice review.
kislany

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#5 by Zelinda
» 22 Sep 2017, 17:56

What a good review, _L! The more I think I'm done with non-fiction, the more reviewers like you come forth to change my mind. This does indeed sound like an illuminating work. I honestly don't know if I will read it. But I do know I should.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Zelinda's Latest Review: "The Expansion" by Christoph Martin
Zelinda

Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: The Last Dragon Slayer
Bookshelf Size: 665 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Goal Completion: 86%

Post Number:#6 by Ynahreyes
» 23 Sep 2017, 08:36

illumanate the person who you are. nice review
Ynahreyes

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4 books

Post Number:#7 by Reuben 92
» 24 Sep 2017, 07:28

I really enjoyed this review, and I also think the book would be of interest to me. I like that it is scholarly and serious without being too dry and inaccessible. The theme of different "spaces" sounds intriguing. Thanks for sharing!
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Reuben 92's Latest Review: "Consequences" by Sam Boyd
Reuben 92

Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 820 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#8 by Yolimari
» 24 Sep 2017, 09:04

Sounds like an excellent scholarly book on the philosophical question of why humans commit atrocities against each other. Quite interesting and intelligent!

Thanks for the good review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yolimari

Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 49 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#9 by Cloe101
» 29 Sep 2017, 11:54

I am awed by your review, L_Therese, the book sounds perfect.
What you want is 15 Christmases on December 25th, 15 birthdays, 15 years of sleeping next to him and waking up with him
Cloe101

Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 41 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#10 by geoffrey ngoima
» 29 Sep 2017, 12:05

Sounds like quite the book, one of the best reviews I've read here and that's saying a lot.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
geoffrey ngoima's Latest Review: "So Beware" by James Hockenberry
geoffrey ngoima

Currently Reading: The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain
Bookshelf Size: 107 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 42%

Post Number:#11 by Doaa Wael
» 01 Oct 2017, 06:17

Brilliant review. loved it! Thank you very much.
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Doaa Wael

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 10 Books

Post Number:#12 by hepto
» 04 Oct 2017, 11:14

The book examines four attributes of that Social Space. They give new illumination to many facets of our life—from our sexuality to willingness to believe in false messiahs, from stage fright among even the most accomplished performers to our enjoyment of opera.I find it enjoyable.
hepto

Currently Reading: Hiramic Brotherhood: Ezekiel's Temple Prophesy
Bookshelf Size: 21 books
2017 Reading Goal: 15 Books
Goal Completion: 120%

Post Number:#13 by kennywealth
» 04 Oct 2017, 12:21

The review was a holistic evaluation of the book titled: We live in Social Space. It was expatiative and explanatory. The book author, Mr Fred Emil Katz really delved elaborately into one of the mysterious behaviours of humans.
kennywealth

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#14 by Sarah Immanuel
» 15 Oct 2017, 11:29

I loved it. It is an inspiring book. I would name it behavioural science. Thanks for the review.
Sarah Immanuel

Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27 books