Review by CTdeF -- The Ultimate Guide to Zombies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CTdeF
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ctdef.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by CTdeF -- The Ultimate Guide to Zombies

Post by CTdeF »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From the early 1900s to modern day, zombies have gone from an obscure voodoo phenomenon to the stars of their own movies, TV series and video games. The Ultimate Guide to Zombies by Dave Robertson follows the development of the zombie culture from its inception, highlighting particularly relevant alterations to the overall zombie profile along the way.

The author’s informal writing style and personal commentaries made the book less of a history lesson and more of an enjoyable read. The general overviews about weapons best suited for zombie annihilation and potential causes of a coming zombie apocalypse were quite entertaining. Notable references for the scientific information about the brain were cited which added to the credibility of the sometimes off-kilter writing. Sources for weaponry were also listed for the die-hard zombie fan who wants to supplement his or her armory.

There were some interesting factual tidbits thrown in among the author’s narration. Did you know that the Guinness World Record for the largest Thriller dance is held by a school in Mexico City with 13,597 verified participants? While I already knew that the CDC (Center for Disease Control) has a Zombie Apocalypse Preparedness page, I really had no idea that zombie-themed weddings were such a big thing these days. Nor did I know that several prominent universities offer zombie studies as part of their curriculum.

There was some unnecessary repetition throughout the book, especially at the end of the chapters where the author gives his opinion on the movies mentioned in the chapter. This information could have been and often was, included within the chapter, so there really was no need for it to be repeated in a separate section. I also felt that the entire chapter about the zombie alcoholic drink was out of place. That information might better be included in an appendix and not smack dab in the middle of the book.

For its entertainment value, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. There were no typographical errors that I found although some reorganization of the chapters is in order.

Obviously, because of the topic of this book, The Ultimate Guide to Zombies by Dave Robertson would appeal most to zombie fans. Since zombies are the creatures we love to hate, it’s very likely that you would enjoy this book even if you aren’t a super, mega fan of the shuffling undead. If you are not the least bit interested in zombies, then the history of zombie development would not be your first choice of reading material.

The Ultimate Guide to Zombies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CTdeF's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”