Official Review: Bad Choices Make Good Stories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Atabon Della
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atabon-della.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Re: Official Review: Bad Choices Make Good Stories

Post by Atabon Della »

It seems to contain so many themes which to me are negative. I would rather not go for this one but your review is quite explicit. Thank u.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Happy Bunny
Currently Reading: Not Without My Sister
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Happy Bunny »

This book sounds incredible! I love harsh humour, harsh language, and enticing, dark situations. I think this is a book I'll have to read in one sitting! Thanks for your great review.
Uwazie Emmanuel
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwazie-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Uwazie Emmanuel »

Thanks for the good review. I will love to read the hacking part of it as I am into cyber security.
Oliver Ekaso
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oliver-ekaso.html

Post by Oliver Ekaso »

The reviewer has done a good job of arousing my interest in this book. I think I'll like the hacking and computer scene. I am going for this book.
Aimlessscatteredatom
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Ticks
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimlessscatteredatom.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Aimlessscatteredatom »

That is one good detailed review about the book without revealing the plot. Stories that has hacking as the core concept has always intrigued me so this is going to be a great page turner. As from the review i can guess that the protagonist is going to be distinctive and realistic rather the usual 'impeccable' creature. I am up for explicit language and dark humour as no one in real life is going to converse in Shakespearian language. I am looking forward to read this book.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Malfoyy Slitherin
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malfoyy-slitherin.html
Latest Review: "A Caribbean Tragedy" by Roger Stutter

Post by Malfoyy Slitherin »

Will like to know the kind of stories bad choices create..Good job!
Latest Review: "A Caribbean Tragedy" by Roger Stutter
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

I think I've got too many triggers to be comfortable with this one, but I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

Scerakor wrote:From a quick glance at this one, I'm terribly intrigued. It has several elements that I'm not a fan of (romance, coming of age, ...) but is combining so many things that have the potential to give it a powerful story, I'm left with a need to look further into this one! Thanks for the review.
If you read it, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Luckily, it's free on Kindle, so you can check it out without reservation. :) Thank you for your thoughts!

-- 17 Oct 2017, 15:57 --
gali wrote:A true story that includes sex, drugs, and sticky situations? Sounds quite the read.
It isn't really my cup of tea, but I am glad you enjoyed the book. Thank you for the review!
Yes, it was quite the read.
It's definitely not for everyone, and I appreciate your thoughts!
TIGER999
Currently Reading: The Haunting of Winchester Mansion Omnibus
Bookshelf Size: 146

Post by TIGER999 »

I was very intrigued by the comparison to "Catcher in the Rye"...certainly made me want to check this book out. Also, with the opioid addiction epidemic currently in the news, it seems very relevant to today. Based on the author's true story, adds more interest. Thanks for an informative review!
hepto
Currently Reading: Hiramic Brotherhood: Ezekiel's Temple Prophesy
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by hepto »

Bad Choices Make Good Stories by Oliver Markus Malloy. Based on true events, this novel takes us on a fascinating journey through the life of Oliver. We meet him as a teenage hacker in Germany before he begins his life in New York. Once there, we join him in his adventures as a cartoonist, cab driver, production manager, and internet millionaire. His story is not one for the easily offended or the faint of heart. It includes sex and bad relationships, drugs and codependency, crime, betrayal, and abusive situations.

Prostitution is legal pretty much everywhere in the world. Well, almost everywhere. Not here in the US. When I was younger, I never understood why it should be illegal. I understand it now."Sex is one of the most wholesome, beautiful and natural experiences that money can buy."Steve Martin.

I moved to the States for love. I had met a girl over the Internet. This was in the 1990s, before the Internet was widely used by the public. As a teenager, I used to be a computer geek, when not everyone had a computer
yet. I was a hacker. If you've ever seen the movie War Games, you get the idea. We used unbelievably slow dial-up modems and 8-bit computers. It was the stone age of the PC revolution."I was addicted to hacking, more for the intellectual challenge, the curiosity, the seduction of adventure; not for stealing, or causing damage or writing computer viruses.""Hacking to me was like a video game. It was about getting trophies. I just kept going on and on, despite all the trouble I was getting into,because I was hooked.""I could have evaded the FBI a lot longer if I had been able to control my passion for hacking."Kevin Mitnick.

SEX AND CRIME"Any publicity is good publicity."Unknown.Girls were rare in the hacking scene. I knew hundreds of guys in the scene,but there were only three or four girls. Two of them were famous because they ran popular online boards. And of course they hated each other and had cat fights online. Donna lived in New York, and her arch nemesis Tammy lived in California. Each one wanted to have the most important BBS, where the best crews uploaded their cracked games, or "warez" first.

DONNA THE RECLUSE“You don't love someone because they're perfect, you love them in spiteof the fact that they're not.”Jodi PicoultEven when I worked at the school for handicapped kids, I still talked toDonna for hours every day. I spent all my free time on the phone with her.Sometimes we talked until the sun came up and I went to work without
having slept at all.

The novel has a well established plot-line which flows and is interesting.I rate it 4 out of 4.
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: The Witching Hour
Bookshelf Size: 3840
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

I'm not easily offended. I'm just not sure this one is for me. Thanks for your very insightful review!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

BoyLazy wrote:Great review.. Found a few conflicts from other reviews as you had given 4 rating.. but then it depends on the reader.
I would like to read this book.
It definitely depends on the reader, yes. There are aspects of this book that just don't appeal to everyone. If you decide to read it, I hope you enjoy it! Thank you for your thoughts!

-- 17 Oct 2017, 16:34 --
Strangerthanfiction wrote:Just seeing this book on a bookshelf would make me want to pick it up and take a closer look simply because of the title. This sounds like the kind of memoir that I can really sink my teeth into. Instead of being long and boring and overly wordy it’s dark and humorous and an easy flowing read that will keep ones attention. The author seems utterly relatable. Congrats to the author on a terrific review.
I agree, the title is intriguing, and is what drew me to the book. It is an easy flowing read, and one I read fairly quickly. It kept me interested throughout. Thank you for taking time to read my review. I hope you enjoy the book!
Gregory Chileshe
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gregory-chileshe.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Gregory Chileshe »

You have done a good review and you have left me with a lot of interest to read this book and review it in the near future. Just looking at the title of the book it is speaking volume of what is expected inside looking at those characters mentioned.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

George Sparrow wrote:This coming-of-age story is like a whirlwind of emotions. The themes may not be suitable for most people but are an honest recount of what had happened to that girl.
It is definitely a whirlwind of emotions. Thank you for stopping by!

-- 17 Oct 2017, 17:15 --
Neharajoria wrote:Characters that fall squarely in the gray are right up my alley, this has my interest piqued, cant wait to pick this up, thanks for that review, though I had the feeling I should have stopped reading midway. The review was good, it's just that I don't want to know too much about the plot going in. Thanks though.
Don't worry, I left the majority of the plot out of the review. I hope you enjoy the book!
Nancy Salgado
Currently Reading: Raging Falcon
Bookshelf Size: 178

Post by Nancy Salgado »

Interesting, a novel based on real life, personally i do not enjoy he harsh language and inmoral actions or sex and drugs, but i know for some persons that sounds like normal, i think i can handle it. Thanks for your recomendations. Good review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”