Review of Emerging From THE ABYSS

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Pranav Dewangan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The Work of My Mother's Hands: A Caregiver's Journey by Dr. Kiplee Bell

Review of Emerging From THE ABYSS

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Emerging From THE ABYSS" by Kenneth Lombardi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Emerging From THE ABYSS by Kenneth Lombardi is a memoir and self-help book that covers the journey of man's recovery from trauma, addiction, anxiety, and depression.

Kenneth grew up in a traumatic home environment. His grandmother and mother suffered from schizophrenia and received shock treatments. He even witnessed them being hauled from their homes to mental asylums. Being young and unable to cope with the rocky environment at home gave him relentless anxiety. To cope, he turned to narcotics while excelling in school and at work. I was astonished to see this strange combination of being an addict and doing well professionally. It was because self-excellence was one of his coping mechanisms. To discover how he ultimately recovered from anxiety, depression, and addiction by accepting and facing his trauma head-on, read this book.

He covers several things in his book, like recovering from addiction and understanding anxiety and depression. He discusses what helped him like meditation, mindfulness, his ideal morning routine, and other aspects that led him to leaving behind his mental health struggles.

There are several things I liked about this book. First, I admired the courage to keep fighting despite dealing with multiple challenges at once. He also shared some unique advice from his journey for people going through similar hardships in life due to traumatic pasts. I have to say I do not suffer from addiction, but I suffer from depression, anxiety, and trauma, and hence I resonated deeply with what he shares in the book. It inspires hope. Even at the extremes of suffering, there is hope if you choose to see it and believe in yourself. The author believed in himself, and miracles happened to him.

I liked the initial five chapters that delved deep into his suffering, the science, and how he coped with it with his personal story, struggles, and insights. I liked the miracle stories he shared that helped him survive. I liked his concept of core beliefs, which are essential to creating the life you want. I also loved the concept of the butterfly effect—how the smallest actions of intent can cause ripple effects in our lives and change them completely. The editing is also good, with only a few small errors that I spotted while reading it.

This book isn't perfect. Chapters 6, 7, and 8 were quite confusing, to be honest. They focused on self-care, love in the midst of depression, and creating resilience. While the chapter titles looked interesting, the content often drifted from the topic and explored a lot of random topics that lacked clear direction. I felt lost in these chapters, and the lack of personal stories also did not help.

I would rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I deducted one rating because I didn't like some chapters and felt they diminished the overall impression the book was making on me. The book did pick up again after these chapters, hence only deducting 1 star from the rating.

I recommend this book to people who are struggling with mental health issues and trauma. They will benefit from his story, which will inspire them and give them hope. This book will give you the tools and techniques that helped him heal that may work for you as well.

Emerging From THE ABYSS
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nwachukwu Somto
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwachukwu-somto.html
Latest Review: Embrace the Challenge by Akwasi O Ofori

Post by Nwachukwu Somto »

It’s inspiring to see how Kenneth overcame such intense trauma, addiction, anxiety, and depression.
Julius Peters
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-peters.html
Latest Review: Quando Dormo by Edward Izzi

Post by Julius Peters »

The emphasis on self-excellence as a coping mechanism is a fascinating aspect of Lombardi's story. It highlights the complexity of human resilience and adaptation.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”