Official Review: Dive in by Melanie Britz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
breyfoglese
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-breyfoglese.html
Latest Review: "The Time Stone" by Jeffrey Estrella

Official Review: Dive in by Melanie Britz

Post by breyfoglese »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dive in" by Melanie Britz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dive In, by Melanie Britz, is a kind and compassionate book about unlocking the best and truest self in all of us. Written as a letter to her 20-year-old self, each chapter explores a different tool for spiritual health and healing, often in the context of the author’s experiences. Dive In is honestly and thoughtfully written, introducing the reader to a broad range of spiritual practices and psychological techniques. Dealing with topics ranging from mental health to body image to overcoming tragedy, Dive In is an accessible introduction to a variety of coping mechanisms that any reader will be able to find value in. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Many self-help books, especially ones dealing with spiritual health, can be esoteric and intimidating to someone unfamiliar with the practices described. Dive In is the opposite. By writing to her 20-year-old self, Britz takes fairly complex ideas and breaks them down into simple components, often explained with the help of everyday analogies or small illustrations. Helpful footnotes link back to the original material, allowing a particularly invested reader to learn more. The writing is conversational and gives the reader a sense of immediate friendliness and familiarity.

Each chapter covers a different concept, and while the concepts build on each other, a single chapter can be revisited easily and often. Likewise, if a few chapters do not ring spiritually true for a reader, they can be skipped without compromising the entire book. Britz even encourages this, saying that her metric for the validity of a spiritual practice is what feels authentic to her. Therefore, even readers who come from an existing faith tradition can still adapt the practices in this book.

The interactive nature of this book is increased by the link found at the end; Britz has developed a website encouraging readers to use Dive In as an inspiration to write their own letters to their younger selves and share them with the world. All self-help and spiritual growth is inherently a participatory process, and this book is at its strongest when it is being integrated into one’s daily life. Even the writing style encourages such interaction; at some points the reader, through the form of Britz’s 20-year-old self, is encouraged to try certain activities or simply go outside. Dive In’s conversational tone allows reading it to feel less like a chore and more like a conversation. There are a few typos to be found, but they do not hinder clarity.

Overall, Dive In is an enjoyable and useful book. It serves as a primer for spiritual growth without seeming intimidating or overwhelming. Personally, I may find myself printing out some of the illustrations and using them to inspire myself and remind myself of what I learned. Ultimately, I think that is Dive In’s greatest strength; it invites the reader to use it in whatever way feels most authentic to them. I strongly recommend this book, and I look forward to applying its techniques in my life.

Dive in
View: on Bookshelves

Like breyfoglese's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The Time Stone" by Jeffrey Estrella
Ubyamos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ubyamos.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Ubyamos »

Nice review!
I always like it when a writer throws in personal experience in his or her writing.
Abayomi2060
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abayomi2060.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Abayomi2060 »

I might have a go at this one later. It sure sounds inspiring.Nice review
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Great review,
I don't read inspirational books much but I may try this one out
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Great review! This looks like a book worth reading and worth learning from. Writing letters to your younger self...hm, I might just do that one day!
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Nice review. i like people who wrote their personal experiences. Experience is the best teacher.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not really much into self-help books. However, I'm glad that you enjoyed this one. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Alicnim »

I enjoy self help books. I wish sometimes I could visit a younger me and advice. Anyway great review.
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Nice review. I like good self help books. May be I will give this one a try.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

This sounds like a helpful book. I like the fact that the writer is not over bearing but rather welcomes the readers participation. I have enjoyed reading your review. Thanks.
Sabina G
Currently Reading: The Scarpetta Factor
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabina-g.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Sabina G »

Self-help books are not my cup of tea but I find myself reading similar texts from time to time. Nice review.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”