Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Non-Fiction Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Transforming Faith by Fred Howard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.

Official Review: Transforming Faith by Fred Howard

Post Number:#1 by csimmons032
» 10 Sep 2017, 16:43

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Transforming Faith" by Fred Howard.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by csimmons032
Share This Review

Transforming Faith was written by Fred Howard. The author uses storytelling to show how people can develop their Faith and grow spiritually. Stories of personal experiences, historical figures, and popular culture are all used to give a new and fresh view of Christianity. The book tackles difficult and sensitive topics that we have all struggled with at some point in our lives and how we can use those experiences to build our spirituality while remaining respectful to other religions.

This book is actually much different then I thought it was going to be. His experiences with Unitarian faith and Christianity have created a unique perspective, and he is clearly very passionate about his beliefs. He uses many different stories to explain his points throughout the book. As a minister, he has clearly seen many situations when it comes to people and has had some very unique and difficult experiences, which have all been important in developing the beliefs and opinions that he has developed up to this point. I can honestly say that Howard's point of view is very different and interesting.

While I wouldn't necessarily say that I agreed with everything that he said, I liked that he is respectful and not judgmental of people who have different beliefs and are of a different religion in general. Howard's examples of the different stages we go through in Christianity, or just with our spiritual growth is interesting. Being a Christian myself, I have been judgmental of people before and I am not proud of it, but I eventually learned that we are all human and we should respect each other's beliefs and opinions even if they are different from our own. Howard shows throughout his book that listening to each other and being open minded creates more successful results when it comes to building relationships and getting to know new people.

When it comes to God and Christianity, we all often have very different opinions about what it means. For example, I have been going through a very difficult experience lately, and I have used that experience to try and build a closer relationship with God. I see God as loving and faithful, but others may believe the opposite. Some people see God and going to church as an obligation, but they may not necessarily believe it. Others may have been raised a Christian and don't know any other way. Then there are people of different religions or those who don't believe in any god at all. Using all of this knowledge, the author explains that it is ok to be in different places and in different stages of our spiritual growth. We all experience the same feelings throughout our lives: happiness, sadness, anger, grief, guilt, and so on. No matter how big or small, we all struggle with things, and it is refreshing how the author shows that we can use those struggles to grow and develop in our thoughts, opinions, relationships, and spirituality.

There were some times where it maybe took a little while to get to the point he was trying to make or I simply didn't understand what he was trying to say. Maybe others might understand those particular moments better than me. This was especially the case during the first couple of chapters, but as I continued reading, I was finally understanding the point that he was trying to make. As far as I could tell, there weren't any grammatical errors that I noticed. My confusion through some of the stories is pretty much my only complaint, otherwise I think other's will find Howard's perspective interesting.

While I would categorize this as a Christian novel, it is definitely suited for people of different religions and even those who don't believe in any God. I think everyone can find something valuable and different from this book, even if they don't agree with everything being said. For anyone at all looking to either develop their faith, pick up something interesting to read, or simply looking for something new and different, then this is the book for you. His experiences, stories, and examples of how we live our lives and view people will leave the reader curious and eager to hear more.

I rate Transforming Faith 3 out of 4 stars. As I mentioned above, there were some parts that were difficult for me to understand. However I think people will find Howard's non-judgmental point of view to be very enjoyable and refreshing.

Transforming Faith
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like csimmons032's review? Post a comment saying so!
csimmons032's Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
csimmons032

Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 716 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Transforming Faith by Fred Howard

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 11 Sep 2017, 09:02

Sounds like an inspirational book that everyone can at least get SOMETHING out of. Thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 114 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 95%

Post Number:#3 by geoffrey ngoima
» 11 Sep 2017, 12:22

I don't know about religious/spiritual books these days, they have an effect of being tedious, but this one look like it's all inclusive, sth I might be interested in.
Great review
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
geoffrey ngoima

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 44%

Post Number:#4 by jeminah28
» 11 Sep 2017, 22:12

Nice review. It is an interesting book and can help increase our faith. Thanks for your review,
"Reading never stops even if there is an ending."
_jem_
jeminah28

Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 25 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#5 by Momiji1987
» 14 Sep 2017, 00:04

I love to read books about faith and spirituality, and based on your review, I would probably like this one too. I like personal stories with examples of faith teachings also. This reminds me a little of a book I reviewed called Who Told You That You Were Naked? This book has some personal testimonies in it also to better explain the author's argument. This was a nice review!
Momiji1987

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#6 by kimmyschemy06
» 16 Sep 2017, 03:19

Sounds like a great read. As a Christian myself, I love reading about faith and spirituality. I can't say I'm religious but I have a personal relationship with God and this books seems like something I would enjoy reading. Too bad, though, about those parts which are difficult for you to understand. Good job on the review.
kimmyschemy06's Latest Review: "Change; Become a Winner" by George Boulden
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading: Seasons Change So Can You
Bookshelf Size: 378 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 126%