Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Non-Fiction Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: It's Complicated by Izzie Bebe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.

Official Review: It's Complicated by Izzie Bebe

Post Number:#1 by MarisaRose
» 08 Sep 2017, 17:54

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "It's Complicated" by Izzie Bebe.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by MarisaRose
Share This Review

It would be difficult to find a more appropriate title for Izzie Bebe’s memoir. Just as the title implies, It’s Complicated: A Love Story and Memoir is a complex, reflective look at Izzie’s own life and the triumphs and mistakes that have brought her to the present. This memoir focuses on Izzie’s experiences starting from the adoption of her first child, Vianne. In the beginning, we are introduced to Vianne’s eccentric personality and come to find out she is expecting her first child. Due to various conditions, Vianne is unable to properly mother a child. Ready for retirement, Izzie is unsure if she can revisit the adoption process all over again. Love, laughter, tears and unexpected changes are all at the forefront of this incredibly personal memoir.

Izzie Bebe has a wonderful way with words. The memoir's prose is raw and emotive, and the choice of the narrative perspective added an additional dimension to Izzie’s story. Told in the first person, Izzie's present-self narrator looks back on the past. The perspective style significantly added to the dramatization of events and exemplified realistic growth because of the addition of Izzie's self-reflection. Izzie’s words unfold through musings on her past self, much like the resolute, sometimes unapologetic feelings we have all had when reflecting on past actions and feelings, making Izzie's words that much more relatable. I appreciated the honest, naked exposure the author provided of her life. This aspect created a unique connection between author and reader; by the end of the book, I felt like Izzie was a long lost friend.

Not only was the prose masterfully conveyed, the organization of the memoir was successful as well. The memoir touches on various aspects of Izzie’s family life, marriage, and career over the years, but the story of Vianne and the birth of her micro preemie son, Von, are the backdrop upon which all other stories are set. The use of an extended plot arc was a smart choice that helped build interest in Izzie’s life as well as anticipation about the outcome of key characters. Further, each anecdote, aside, or other description of the past was skillfully woven through the main plot arc, ensuring each came across as important and meaningful; no story felt randomly placed.

Overall, the author is most successful at telling a story. If this wasn’t marketed as a memoir, it could easily be perceived as a fictional, yet powerful, study of the human condition. Unfortunately, there were a few obvious typos throughout the text, like ‘nap of my neck’ and ‘amble bosom,’ that were somewhat distracting. A thorough round of editing would really bring Izzie’s memoir to the next level.

It’s Complicated is, by far, the most engaging and heartwarming memoir I’ve read in a long while. The author’s ability to gracefully connect her personal thoughts, emotions and experiences with the reader is nothing short of endearing. Although there were some editorial flaws, I was so drawn to Izzie’s words and her masterful use of language that I cannot rate It’s Complicated less than 4 out of 4 stars. Readers who enjoy raw, emotional, real-life accounts will quickly fall in love with Izzie’s narration in It’s Complicated.

It's Complicated
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading: Little Fires Everywhere
Bookshelf Size: 183 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 352%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: It's Complicated by Izzie Bebe

Post Number:#2 by Sabina G
» 18 Sep 2017, 14:26

Thanks for your review. This memoir sounds very interesting. It would be really nice to correct the editorial mistakes so as to make this book somehow perfect.
Sabina G

Currently Reading: The Scarpetta Factor
Bookshelf Size: 23 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 35 Books
Goal Completion: 5%

Post Number:#3 by kandscreeley
» 18 Sep 2017, 14:29

Sounds like a really great book. Memoirs can go either way. They can be profound, powerful and wonderful... Or they can be a big flop. I'm glad this was the former! Thanks for another good review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "The Crying Tree Diary" by Lorah Green
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 105 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 86%

Post Number:#4 by 0719672189
» 18 Sep 2017, 23:23

It really is complicated,i would definitely read this book.Thanks for the great review.
0719672189's Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#5 by The Researcher
» 19 Sep 2017, 04:11

Great review! It is clear from the review that you enjoyed the book immensely.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
The Researcher's Latest Review: "Imperfect Bond" by Timberly Simmons
The Researcher

Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 97 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 160%

Post Number:#6 by Zelinda
» 19 Sep 2017, 14:07

When I read in your review that the book was non-fiction, my interest waned. And yet, from what you say, this reads like fiction. Perhaps reading this book may help me get over my bias that non-fiction is non-interesting.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Zelinda's Latest Review: "The Expansion" by Christoph Martin
Zelinda

Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: The Last Dragon Slayer
Bookshelf Size: 665 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 86%

Post Number:#7 by Murmuring Letters
» 24 Sep 2017, 10:13

Thank you for your review, I really liked how you described the writing style and the form of the book separately, without giving away too much of the content. For me it is really important that I like the style in which the book is written and I admire writers who have a distinctive writing style. It's a very important part of a book but at the same time hard to describe it as a reader. You did a really good job on that and I applaude you for that!
Murmuring Letters

Favorite Author: Mary Hoffman
Currently Reading: the raven boys
Bookshelf Size: 92 books
2017 Reading Goal: 40 Books
Goal Completion: 212%

Post Number:#8 by Ashley Simon
» 25 Sep 2017, 16:22

I'm adding this one to my to be read list - any memoir that is thoughtful & reflective is right up my alley. Thanks for a great review!
Ashley Simon's Latest Review: "Mister Big" by Harvey Havel
Ashley Simon

Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 131 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 45%

Post Number:#9 by Doaa Wael
» 08 Oct 2017, 15:26

Marisa, you have such a great writing style. This is such a beautiful and informative review that i am going to tweet it. Keep up the good work!
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Doaa Wael

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 10 Books

Post Number:#10 by Sarah Immanuel
» Yesterday, 11:54

I rate it 4 out of 4. Thanks for the review. This is an interesting book.
Sarah Immanuel

Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books