Review of Island in the Sun - Growing up in Jamaica 1948-1954

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Papi, Por Favor! by Rossana Snee
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of Island in the Sun - Growing up in Jamaica 1948-1954

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Island in the Sun - Growing up in Jamaica 1948-1954" by Monica Carly.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Even though I didn't grow up in Jamaica, I did grow up around the same time as the author, so the setting of Island in the Sun: Growing up in Jamaica 1948-1954 interested me for that reason. Monica Carly moved from England to Jamaica when she was a pre-teen. When I was that age, my family moved from a small town in Ohio to a large city in southern California, so it was easy for me to relate to the challenges the move presented for her as a young girl. The stories in this coming-of-age memoir do not appear chronologically but are arranged by topics such as food, education, religion, and slavery. I like that the author includes personal photos at the end of each chapter which gives credibility to the stories.

In addition to the personal anecdotes, the author includes information such as who introduced the various fruits to the island, the history of slavery, and the geographical features of the land. The narrative writing flows so smoothly that these inserted facts do not interrupt the tales being told.

Family is an important theme throughout Carly's book. It is most prevalent in the chapter "Our Father, Who Deserves a Place in Heaven." This chapter is an extended obituary of the life of the author's father as a minister and an educator. She describes the legacy he left for his family after a heart attack claimed his life at age 62.

This is not a riveting read, but it is engaging. The majority of the anecdotes are positive recollections, and the author's response to any conflicts such as a hurricane or a nine-month separation from her family is calm acceptance. Chapter 13 "The Dark Side of the Sun" does contain some issues related to the island inhabitants such as poverty, poor education, and class distinction. Readers who are looking for a memoir full of overcoming life's obstacles might be disappointed, but I did not consider this a negative.

My rating is four out of five stars. There are enough grammatical errors to warrant a star deduction. I enjoyed learning the history of a location I only previously viewed as a beach party travel destination. The author states that she had an "inescapable compulsion to create a lasting record of her time in Jamacia" and I believe she has accomplished that goal.

Island in the Sun - Growing up in Jamaica 1948-1954
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Zubair Zubair 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Zubair Zubair 1 »

It sounds like "Island in the Sun: Growing up in Jamaica 1948-1954" by Monica Carly offers a rich blend of personal anecdotes and historical insights. The thematic organization and inclusion of personal photos seem to add depth to the storytelling. Your review highlights the author's calm acceptance of challenges and the focus on family, making it a relatable and engaging read. Despite some grammatical errors, it seems like a worthwhile exploration of a unique time and place.
MAHAD BAIG MIRZA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahad-baig-mirza.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by MAHAD BAIG MIRZA »

Diana Lowery appreciates "Island in the Sun: Growing up in Jamaica 1948-1954" for its relatable coming-of-age stories and informative insights into Jamaican history and culture. She particularly enjoy the inclusion of personal photos and the seamless integration of factual information into the narrative. While acknowledging some grammatical errors, she praised the author's ability to create a lasting record of her time in Jamaica and rate the book four out of five stars for its engaging storytelling and educational value.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Papi, Por Favor! by Rossana Snee
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

MAHAD BAIG MIRZA wrote: 17 May 2024, 06:07 Diana Lowery appreciates "Island in the Sun: Growing up in Jamaica 1948-1954" for its relatable coming-of-age stories and informative insights into Jamaican history and culture. She particularly enjoy the inclusion of personal photos and the seamless integration of factual information into the narrative. While acknowledging some grammatical errors, she praised the author's ability to create a lasting record of her time in Jamaica and rate the book four out of five stars for its engaging storytelling and educational value.
Thank you for your unique post. I think this is the first time someone has commented on my review in the third person.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”