Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Non-Fiction Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Laughter, Tears & Wonders: An Ir...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.

Official Review: Laughter, Tears & Wonders: An Ir...

Post Number:#1 by MarisaRose
» 31 Aug 2017, 14:09

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Laughter, Tears & Wonders: An Irish Memoir" by Niall John Kavanagh.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by MarisaRose
Share This Review

Told through a series of yarns, Laughter, Tears & Wonders: An Irish Memoir, Childhood and Coming of Age in Dublin, focuses on the author’s early life as an adolescent growing up in Ireland and continues up to his early twenties. Specifically, the memoir covers the period 1942-1966. These yarns are mostly chronological; some are simple vignettes about a person, place or singular event, and some are fully fledged short stories describing specific incidences in the author’s life. Family, growing pains, friendships, political strife and work-life are all touched upon in the 64 yarns that make up this collection. The author, Niall John Kavanagh, blends personal experiences with insight about historical and political events in his emotionally charged memoir.

The author successfully brings the Irish setting to life by utilizing various elements. For instance, intertwining historical facts within the memoir brought much needed context to the events described. Similarly, the introduction of many colorful characters and their quirky personality traits added a sense of realism to the stories. The element that most effectively brought the setting to life was the clever use of the author’s Irish brogue throughout each story. Combined, all of these elements made it easy to picture the places, people and things at the forefront of each yarn.

In addition to the apparent realism imbued in this memoir, the author does a wonderful job mixing humor, nostalgia and history. Like most young boys, Niall’s antics are outrageous at times, and there were quite a few laugh-out-loud moments in this collection. On the other hand, Niall suffered some tragedy in his early life, and these yarns are handled with care, becoming rather emotional. Throughout all of this story telling, the author sprinkles in quite a bit of Irish history. Thankfully, the historical points in this book are described in an interesting manner and genuinely add to one’s understanding of Niall’s life events.

Although many of the vignettes and short stories succeed in eliciting emotion without a typical plot arc, some tended to be a bit more mundane and didn’t have as powerful an effect. Simply put, some of the yarns never reached that atmospheric level of storytelling that can turn monotonous life events into worthwhile reading material. Unfortunately, this made parts of the memoir a little boring.

Part memoir, part history book, I highly recommend this book to those interested in Ireland and its past and to those who enjoy a bit of humor in their reading. Although the author successfully combines stories from his early life with important Irish history in a meaningful and interesting manner, some of the yarns are significantly more interesting than others, and for that reason I rate Laughter, Tears & Wonders: An Irish Memoir 3 out of 4 stars.

Laughter, Tears & Wonders: An Irish Memoir
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading: The Western Star
Bookshelf Size: 168 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 316%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Laughter, Tears & Wonders: An Ir...

Post Number:#2 by Karolin
» 01 Sep 2017, 03:32

Thank you for this wonderful review! Very insightful and really inspiring. Makes want to read the book. And anyway, sounds like a fascinating and relaxing read.
Karolin

Currently Reading: Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isandlwana
Bookshelf Size: 259 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#3 by Amagine
» 01 Sep 2017, 04:02

I love whenever an author's written experiences are enriched with historical and educational content. This sounds like a good book.

Great Review!🌽
"That's the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet." -Jhumpa Lahiri

"Once you learn to read, you will be forever free." -Frederick Douglass
Amagine's Latest Review: "The Tattered Box" by Paul Schumacher
Amagine
Bookshelves Moderator

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 692 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 43%

Post Number:#4 by kandscreeley
» 01 Sep 2017, 07:29

I honestly don't know a lot about Ireland especially during that time. It sounds like this would be a good book to learn some. Thanks for a good review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "The Other side:" by Seth Ramey
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 100 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 82%

Post Number:#5 by geoffrey ngoima
» 01 Sep 2017, 11:29

Your review also made me want to read the book though the genres don't sit well with me.
Thank you, MarisaRose, for the very informative review.
Taste all the love and sorrow, but don't drink the wine.~ "Reign"
geoffrey ngoima's Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
geoffrey ngoima

Currently Reading: God Versus The Idea of God
Bookshelf Size: 72 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 22%

Post Number:#6 by IsabelMay
» 03 Sep 2017, 02:51

I'm in love with Ireland and its people, but I also plan on visiting Dublin soon so I think this will be a lovely read that will introduce me to the city. I'm sure it's changed since then, but it's always nice to learn a bit about its history.
IsabelMay

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1939 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#7 by MarisaRose
» 03 Sep 2017, 07:13

IsabelMay wrote:I'm in love with Ireland and its people, but I also plan on visiting Dublin soon so I think this will be a lovely read that will introduce me to the city. I'm sure it's changed since then, but it's always nice to learn a bit about its history.

I actually visited Dublin two years ago and I recognized many of the landmarks the author referenced! This would be a great read before you go traveling :)
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading: The Western Star
Bookshelf Size: 168 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 316%

Post Number:#8 by kimmyschemy06
» 16 Sep 2017, 03:37

Sounds like an interesting book. Collections can be like that, some stories are life changing, some are simply better than others and some are plain and ordinary. Great job on the review.
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 335 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 96%

Post Number:#9 by KlareAllison
» 16 Sep 2017, 05:20

I love narratives which put me right there in the midst of interesting places, peoples and things. I think Laughter, Tears & Wonders: An Irish Memoir is one of such narratives. I enjoyed the review, it's nicely done.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
KlareAllison

Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 85 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 4%