Official Review: Sho-Rap Highway by Robin Whiteplume

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Official Review: Sho-Rap Highway by Robin Whiteplume

Post by raikyuu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sho-Rap Highway" by Robin Whiteplume.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sho-Rap Highway: The Native American Firefighters of Wind River is a non-fiction that provides a compilation of a documented history of the Shoshone and Arapaho (Sho-Rap) Firefighting Crews of the Wind River Reservation. Using gathered information from archived materials, newspaper accounts, historical books, and former Wind River foresters, the author, Robin P. Whiteplume, manages to write a book that mixes autobiography with history.

The book starts off by addressing the problematic public perception that “all Indians (Native Americans) were bad and deserved to be eradicated” which is prevalent during the colonization of the Americas. The book refutes this perception by showing that “Indians” are not savages, but human beings like ourselves. Because of this, the “Indians” are provided employment opportunities like firefighting, which undertakes the prevalent problems of forest fires in the 20th century. After which, the book proceeds to talk about the beginnings of Native American firefighting, which opens up the history of the Sho-Rap Firefighting Crews, from their formation up to the author’s present day experience with the crew.

I like how the author provides parallels between firefighting and military operations, which easily explains the nuances and challenges in Native American firefighting. The book provides authentic photos that draws readers to the firefighters’ firsthand experience, separating readers from the myths of firefighting while retaining the heroic realism of the firefighters. The autobiographical accounts of the author create an impression that the book contains people presented not just as names, but as people who lived, laughed, and cried.

The book is also well-researched as it contains insightful and coherent discussions of the history of early Native American firefighting. The author relies on primary sources and personal accounts of individuals involved in the history. The author attempts to make the book interesting by making a historical narrative of the subject; that is, by presenting history as a story instead of as a list of facts. Unfortunately, the narrative isn’t enough to cover the vast amount of facts presented in the book. As a result, some parts of the book are rather dull to read. Nevertheless, the book manages to capture not just the facts, but also the emotions involved in the history.

The author provides a rich history that emphasizes the Native Americans' grit and determination while bringing them to reality through their emotions. Overall, Sho-Rap Highway: The Native American Firefighters of Wind River is a worthy read due to good research and great storytelling. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I can recommend this book to anyone who is curious about Native American firefighting history, as well as those who wish to become firefighters.

Sho-Rap Highway
View: on Bookshelves

Like raikyuu's review? Post a comment saying so!
-rk
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I love any book that speaks on the Native American experience. Especially since I've always felt that there is not enough books written for it about them.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I wasn't sure what Sho-Rap meant, so thanks for explaining that. It sounds like an interesting book. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by raikyuu »

Thank you, Amagine and kandscreeley. It is really an informative book with good storytelling, so it is a worthy read.
-rk
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Great review, man, but this sounds like a perfectly uninteresting book :lol2: :lol2:

But I see the importance of the book though
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
raikyuu
Currently Reading:

Post by raikyuu »

geoffrey ngoima wrote:Great review, man, but this sounds like a perfectly uninteresting book :lol2: :lol2:

Thank you for commenting.
-rk
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

raikyuu wrote:
geoffrey ngoima wrote:Great review, man, but this sounds like a perfectly uninteresting book :lol2: :lol2:

Thank you for commenting.
You're welcome, buddy
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting and informative book. I have been interested with American Indians since I read 'The Lonesome Dove' when I was in college and this seems like an objective book to read. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Robin Whiteplume on such a high rating.
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

It is great that the people living in this area were able to overcome their shortcomings of hating each other and accepting the American Indians as fellow human beings

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”