Official Review: A Journey in Hope, Day by Day

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Official Review: A Journey in Hope, Day by Day

Post by raikyuu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Journey in Hope, Day by Day" by Richard Mathews.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book A Journey of Hope, Day by Day is a non-fiction that attempts to empower its readers by leaving a mark as an inspiration. The author, Richard Matthews, does this by providing reflections on the turning points in history and presenting them as part of a "common human heritage."

The book has a simple format. The author provides a significant event in history for each day of the year (365 days) and gives a life lesson which can be learned from each event. Some of these events include the NASA Moon Landing and the Indian Independence Movement.

The book aims to inspire people by revisiting historical events which could have been forgotten by many. The author effectively communicates the events in history in a concise and personal manner. All of the events, in his tale, suggests that we can go back to history to get help for today's ills in society.

Unfortunately, there are several problems with the book that needs to be addressed. First, there is inconsistency in the use of font faces which can irk readers as some words are suddenly italicized and placed in another typeface for no apparent reason. Second, there are also multiple instances of improper use capitalization. For instance, in describing Kelly as a graduate, the first letter of “economics” is capitalized. There are also detrimental typographical errors. This is evident in the entry for the 5th of February. The entry is set in 1917 but the year is typed as 2017 in the first sentence. Overall, all of these suggest that the book is not professionally edited.

Furthermore, most of the examples provided in the book are focused in the US. While there are attempts to include events in other places such as in the Soviet Union and India, the events are presented in an American understanding. The case of Gandhi, for instance, is likened to Martin Luther King Jr. which ignores the contexts the historical event took place. This isn't necessarily a problem as the book is meant for American readers, but the book risks of becoming a misleading historical text if it presents itself as part of a "common human heritage."

I would rate this book 2 out of 4 stars as I can recommend it to Americans who are possibly looking for meaning through history. Giving it only one star takes away the elegance of the author’s reflections and his ability to connect with people. However, this book is still suited for a non-American looking for a fair read on reflections of historical events.

A Journey in Hope, Day by Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like raikyuu's review? Post a comment saying so!
-rk
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like a great idea. Maybe the author could put out another one that was focused more on the whole world in addition to this one which seems more focused in America? Still, it sounds like it would be a good book to read each day... Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by raikyuu »

kandscreeley wrote:It sounds like a great idea. Maybe the author could put out another one that was focused more on the whole world in addition to this one which seems more focused in America? Still, it sounds like it would be a good book to read each day... Thanks!
Thank you, kandscreeley. I do agree that it can still be a good book to read each day of the year.
-rk
LINA M-EMBER AMA
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lina-m-ember-ama.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by LINA M-EMBER AMA »

raikyuu, thanks for an honest review. I hope the writer will do a better job in a new edition. The idea of a historical event each day sounds splendid though.
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
raikyuu
Currently Reading:

Post by raikyuu »

LINA M-EMBER AMA wrote:raikyuu, thanks for an honest review. I hope the writer will do a better job in a new edition. The idea of a historical event each day sounds splendid though.
Yes, it is. If done well, this book has the potential to be a great one.
-rk
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

This is the kind of book l would love to read. Historical texts hold some kind of magnetism for me. It's regrettable A Journey of Hope, Day by Day is burdened by so much editing issues.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
raikyuu
Currently Reading:

Post by raikyuu »

KlareAllison wrote:This is the kind of book l would love to read. Historical texts hold some kind of magnetism for me. It's regrettable A Journey of Hope, Day by Day is burdened by so much editing issues.
Yes, it is unfortunate. But if you don't mind the editing issues, the book can be a decent read.
-rk
Yaone
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yaone.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by Yaone »

The title of the book got my attention but the content not so much. My expectation was far from history.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
raikyuu
Currently Reading:

Post by raikyuu »

Yaone wrote:The title of the book got my attention but the content not so much. My expectation was far from history.
Indeed, the book has an interesting title.
-rk
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Yaone wrote:The title of the book got my attention but the content not so much. My expectation was far from history.
I agree with you, we have the same observation, all I thought was about our struggles. Well, I like your review, you are just honest.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
raikyuu
Currently Reading:

Post by raikyuu »

Jem Tomarong wrote:
I agree with you, we have the same observation, all I thought was about our struggles. Well, I like your review, you are just honest.
Thank you, Jem. The title is actually not unique. There are also some content with similar titles.
-rk

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”