Official Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Official Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Tanaya »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret: Stories of Ordinary Gurus I’ve Met is a nonfiction book by Rob White. It can most aptly be described as a motivational memoir.

The author grew up in a small town where most of the high school graduates went to work for one of the two local factories. Thus, it was odd that he aspired to and actually attended college at the University of Massachusetts. He eventually became a teacher and, later in life, a successful entrepreneur in the real estate and restaurant industries. This inspiring book is filled with important lessons he’s learned from the people he has met throughout life’s journey. An often-occurring theme is second chances and the power of paying it forward. He shares the mistakes and disappointments that make him utterly human while showcasing the cyclical and redeeming nature of our existence.

Particularly in the first half of the book, the author often ties together lessons learned from family members or people in his hometown to the wisdom he shared with his students when he became a teacher. He recalls the kindness of a stranger that he was able to pay forward years later or advice that he was able to share to raise a young person’s esteem. The book technically is told in a nonlinear fashion. Yet, there is a natural progression through his life, as the latter portion of the book talks about his transition into real estate and some of his later adrenaline-seeking adventures. The author appropriately offers plenty of personal reflection on these events and shares their significance to him, in such a way that can help others.

A prime example of the author’s writing style is the following sentence: “In our town, few people reached ‘escape velocity’ and broke free of the gravitational forces holding them in place.” The reader learns about the traditions and atmosphere of his small town, like the unique rite of passage that occurred when young boys walked down the street in the same way that their fathers did. A central concern is the limiting mentality that was impressed upon him in his hometown and how he learned to think independently and be his own person.

One of my favorite aspects of the book was the humor of the author’s childhood logic, especially when he describes the guilt he felt after his “high-profile candy heist.” Each chapter began with a myth the author once believed. Then the chapter conveys a story from his life in which he learned a significant lesson. At the end of the chapter, that same myth is repeated along with the reality the author discovered. One of my favorite realities discovered was: “Look within--that’s where the trapping begins.” He paints a great picture of these “ordinary gurus,” such as Mr. Lampkin, who was in charge of the grounds maintenance at the University of Massachusetts. Mr. Lampkin is described as having been “intimately acquainted with every leaf on every bush, and every thorn on every rose.” The author gives respectful credit to such gurus and effectively explains the positive impact they had on him.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was well written, thoughtful, and entertaining. I would recommend it to anyone who, like the author, is genuinely focused on being a better person and living a positive, fulfilling life.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves

Like Tanaya's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! He sounds like a great writer. Just from the few examples you've given, I'm intrigued. Thanks for the review. I'll look into this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

Thank you for such a detailed review. I have not heard of this author but am intrigued by your review. I look forward to reading this novel.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

Your review shows that this book can motivate and inspire others to become a better person by learning lessons from the other people and the mistakes that we commit during our life's journey. Nicely done!
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

it is always a privilege to learn from other people's experience in life because it makes our experience easier to handle.
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great book and something a reader can learn a lot from. I hope I get a chance to read it. Congratulations to Rob White on such an obviously well written book.
KN17488
Currently Reading: A Dog's Purpose
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by KN17488 »

Thanks for a detailed review. This book seems wonderful and I can’t wait to read it. I’ve never heard of this author, but now I’m am intrigued to read this book by him. It seems like it can be quite the motivational book as it as a lot of life lessons as you said.
jonaya
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jonaya »

from humble beginning indeed. Thanks Mr Rob white for the colorful review and believing in this book I learn many things.
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Positivity is always attracting. I'll read this one. Thanks for the cool review.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A memoir filled with important lessons the author learned along the way sounds inspiring indeed. It is good of the author to share his mistakes with the reader. It is nice that each chapter begins and ends with a myth. Not really my cup of tea, but I am glad you enjoyed the book. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

At first I thought, “nah, this isn’t my kind of book.” But after reading your review I think it might be worth taking a peek and seeing if it captures my interest long enough to finish. :)
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Motivational memoir - sounds like something everyone should read at one point or another. Great review, Tanaya.
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-waragu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

I almost thought that this was a fictional book. However, i am grateful that a memoir of this great significance is finally available. Thanks for this review.
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
krisengel
Currently Reading: Bittersweet
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krisengel.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by krisengel »

This sounds like a great book for self-improvement and possibly getting out of a rut. From the description of the writing style, it may actually keep my interest long enough to read it. I usually don't like non-fiction, but I may give this one a go.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Maulyne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maulyne.html
Latest Review: Small Change by Keddie Hughes

Post by Maulyne »

An amazing review.Reading a story from a persons experience and point of view is motivational and encouraging. The book is an amazing one.I think its a book that gives one a chance to rise up and move forward. Adding to reading list.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”