Official Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Re: Official Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by mindyg123 »

Usually i don't do non fiction but this book about second chances and the power of paying it forward has my interest. Ill be reading this one right away. Thanks to the author for making it free and congrats on being BOTD!
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
Basya
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-basya.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Basya »

This morning, I downloaded this book and began reading. I was mesmerized and hopeful that the entire book would live up to my expectations. Your detailed review shows that And Then I Met Margaret is a worthwhile read. Thank you for your insightful review.
Linnea Tanner
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Shadow of the Raven (Book I of Sons of Kings trilogy)
Bookshelf Size: 354

Post by Linnea Tanner »

And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White sounds like a well-written memorable memoir for readers who are inspired by true-life journeys of other people. What caught my eye is each chapter begins with a myth the author once believed. Then the chapter conveys a story from his life in which he learned a significant lesson. I usually don't read memoirs, but might give this consideration.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

This book looks like a great example on how our experiences and people we meet can inspire us! Sounds like a great selection! Great Review!
kenkomercy
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenkomercy.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman

Post by kenkomercy »

Very detailed review. The author seems fun. For a memoir, such an in-depth, fun and honest style of writing is very appealing.
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Amazing non-fiction motivational memoir that will prove an interesting read. I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars. Congrats #BOTD
JBreezeA
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by JBreezeA »

Thank you for such an insightful review! My interest was sparked in your introduction. Reflecting on how it's amazing that a factory worker, from a small town goes on to be a successful entrepreneur. I believe many people can relate to his story of trials and tribulations.

I look forward to this read and hopefully recommending it to others.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

This is a detailed review that sets the book apart from all of the other inspirational memoirs out there.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

Thanks for the well-written review! A "motivational memoir" isn't typically a book I would be drawn to, however, I find a lot of parallels in the author's story to that of my own father's. I am going to get him a copy for Christmas, I think he will love it!
jenifer-mankey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jenifer-mankey »

At first thought about the title, who is Margaret in the story? So im kinda wondering why she wasnt mentioned in the review ive just read. Although its intruiging to read this book because same as what im taking up right now, studying Bachelor in Elementary education, the main character is a teacher.
Liande
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liande.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Post by Liande »

I've never read any of Rob White's book, also, not fond of motivational books, but from what I've read in the review, this is a must read for me. I like the fact that the author learned from his mistakes, and are not ashamed to share it with us. As a fellow teacher, I can also relate to his efforts in keeping children positive and motivated.
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
Mynameisawepraisebol
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mynameisawepraisebol »

This book is one of the best books I have ever read. It also impacted me greatly
Sonireallyam
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by Sonireallyam »

What a motivating and inspiring book, that was an awesome review.
boringyanks
Currently Reading: Indian Hill 3
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boringyanks.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Reading Device: B01J6RPGKG

Post by boringyanks »

I really loved this book, and appreciated the timing of when it crossed my path in life
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Rosemary22
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: The Maverick's Roundup
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reading Device: B074M12SQ7

Post by Rosemary22 »

And then I Met Margaret - a review by Rosemary Kenny

This interesting rites-of-passage book is a (slightly) 'rambling' one, as it's autobiographical in nature, rather than coming across as a business presentation. The author leads the reader in a literate and well-expounded inspirational journey, from his younger tomboyish phase of general mischief, (including petty thievery [shoplifting]) and on into the realising what Life's all about/'road to Damascus'-type revelations, that only hard work and application will get him where he wants to be - a 'proper' grown-up.
Thus with inspiration and good example from mentors such as the eponymous Margaret, he attains the [previously unknown in his local area], Nirvana of College and from there, there is no stopping our hero.
His seemingly unattainable goals and dreams are gradually realised and the author is scrupulous in complimenting and thanking them individually, making it clear what part each played on his road to success as a wealthy entrepreneur. He is also happy to pass on his wealth of knowledge and life-experience to those acolytes seeking to follow in his footsteps.

I enjoyed this book as it was not written in the manner of 'holier-than-thou' preaching or critical and patronising to those who have yet to 'make it', but in an engaging and down-to-earth, realistic way that showed he appreciates he couldn't have done it alone!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”