Review by LeeleeByoma -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LeeleeByoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leeleebyoma.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Review by LeeleeByoma -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

Post by LeeleeByoma »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Health Tips, Myths and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD is the equivalent of a compilation of all your one on one conversations with your family physician about all the topics that hold your interest and a few others that don’t. Basically, nothing is off limits; Trans fat, Gluten, paper towels, arsenic, the lie detector test, commercial air travel, open flushing of toilets and, of course, useless products that have nothing to offer.

I particularly love the fact that the author is unbiased in his approach, mentioning products and brands by name while backing up his conclusions with facts, statistics and references to research done on said topics. It is very enlightening. It is worthy of note however, that most of the statistics he works with, the state laws he mentions and the products he discusses are within the United States so one gets the feeling that it is a book meant for the United States only but I found the knowledge therein to be relevant the world over.

I have been recently obsessed with all things relating to weight loss and healthy eating so here is some free advice to any readers who are just like me: prepare to rethink most of the things you think you know about healthy eating. My diet got thrown out the window after I read what the author has to say about foods like rice. He also spoils it for our favourite coffees and ice-creams but thankfully, he offers a way out. Overall, I am pleased and can hardly wait to show off all the new fact-based knowledge which I acquired while reading this book.

The book had topics repeatedly popping up and that would make it a little difficult for one to look through for the purpose of making a quick reference; you would have to check for all occurrences of the topic in question in order to make an informed decision and that is what I like the least about the book. There were no distracting grammatical errors and I only noted one typographical error far into the book but I thought certain chapters should have been merged. For instance, chapters 13 and 14 could have easily been one chapter. Also, in the chapter where the author writes about conspiracy theories and how easily it is believed by people, he doesn’t discredit the theories until the next chapter. These issues do not take away from the relevance of the book; their absence would have simply made it an easier read.

I rate Health Tips, Myths and Tricks 3 out of 4 stars only because it could have been much more concise and void of repetitions but this book deserves priority spot on all our shelves for quick referencing when the need arises and the need will arise often. This is a book for people who care about their health, the environment and the acquisition of knowledge in general. It is also for those who care to know the truth from a physician’s standpoint so they can dispense with the foolish myths of the general populace.

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LeeleeByoma's review? Post a comment saying so!
Anthony__
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Anthony__ »

I agree with all your points. I think everyone needs it because we all want to live a heathier lifestyle.
LeeleeByoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leeleebyoma.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by LeeleeByoma »

Yes, we really do. It's a lot of information to process though.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”