Review of Joy in the Valley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinemezu Okafor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Triple Exposure by Katherine Bradbury

Review of Joy in the Valley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Joy in the Valley" by Alex D. Scottlynn.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Joy in the Valley" by Alex D. Scottlynn is a memoir that tells the story of a girl who, at the age of 12, lost her mother and was subsequently adopted by her grandparents. As time passed, she began to lose her other family members, including her grandparents and father, one after the other until she was left alone. Despite being allowed to stay with family friends, she hoped that things would improve. Would things turn around for her? Or would things remain the same? In a world where it is difficult to focus on hope, how does she navigate dealing with grief?

The book is brimming with emotions, and the writer did a commendable job of expressing her feelings in a manner that connects with me. I deeply empathize with the emotions of grief, relief, and sadness as portrayed in the narrative. The book's narrative flows smoothly, immersing me. Strangely, this book carries a calm aura even as it delves into the raw truths of life. The writer skillfully selects Bible verses that mirror her emotional state, seamlessly weaving them into her story without overshadowing any particular element. Consistently, the writer introduces each chapter with a pertinent Bible verse, offering a glimpse into what lies ahead in that section. Additionally, concluding each chapter with a comforting scripture serves to reinforce the themes explored and provides solace to me. This book is not only emotionally impactful but also educational. It sheds light on the individual nature of grief, illustrating how its intensity can vary from person to person. The author's insightful exploration demonstrates that, while coping mechanisms differ, turning to faith in Jesus can help alleviate the burden of grief.

There is truly nothing to dislike about "Joy in the Valley" by Alex D. Scottlynn. I would give this book a 5 out of 5 star rating. The author avoids stereotypes, expressing her grief and doubts openly while striving to console herself; this depicts the authenticity of her work. This book was exceptionally edited. The writing style is engaging and skillful. I enjoyed the pacing of the book too because it was more contemplative. 

This book presents a compelling read for individuals struggling with grief stemming from various situations. They can learn to navigate their struggles alongside Jesus and ultimately triumph over their sorrows. Those who are fond of religious literature and narratives will find their faith in God strengthened, preparing them for potential future challenges. Moreover, for faith leaders and preachers, this book can serve as a valuable template for their sermons to inspire and comfort their congregations.

Joy in the Valley
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”