Official Review: My Memoirs: Fifty Years of Journalism fr...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Official Review: My Memoirs: Fifty Years of Journalism fr...

Post by Anirudh Badri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Memoirs: Fifty Years of Journalism from Print to the Internet" by Bernard Gwertzman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Memoirs, by Bernard Gwertzman, is the tale of a journalist who remembers the great changes of the world he witnessed over his career. The book primarily focuses on the Soviet Union from 1962 to its fall. In addition, it also talks about the various foreign affairs issues that the US was involved with in the latter half of the 20th Century.

The book has two intertwined aspects and proceeds chronologically. One aspect that is expected in a memoir is the details of the life of the author, Bernard Gwertzman. We follow him through his childhood as he decides that he wants to be a journalist. We get ringside seats to his early years working at the Washington Star and visiting Russia. We see him distinguish and rise through the ranks while he works at the New York Times, first as a reporter and later as the Foreign Editor. Finally, we see him pioneer the way for the New York Times to the 21st Century, by running the website for the Times when it was just starting out. By itself, the tale is dramatic and can fill a book. However, the instincts of the author kick in and he shows us the skills that made him a good reporter. As the book progresses and tells us about his life, he simultaneously tells the reader about the various events that he was reporting on. He talks about the various international incidents he was a part of, be it the Kissinger Shuttle Diplomacy, the invasion of Czechoslovakia or the Cuban Missile Crisis. The explanation consists of some context to the event followed by snippets from his own reporting. All in all, it makes for a very compelling narrative.

By far, my favourite aspect of this book was the styling of the narrative. The author manages to present information about some of the biggest events of the previous century with grace and keeps my interest the whole way. By adding clips from his own news reports, we really get the sense of witnessing history being written and the awe that comes with it. In keeping with the best traditions of reporting, the story is neatly split into clear, well-demarcated chapters. These serve to keep the reader from getting confused and overwhelmed by the sheer volume of material that is presented. Although I read and learnt about nearly 50 years of history in this book, it was served in small, easily digestible morsels.

However, that is not to say that this is simply a history book. What kept my interest and made it possible for me to devour this book in a matter of days was the human aspect of the story. The author, Bernard Gwertzman, has actually been a part of these momentous events. As we follow his life and his decisions, we get to see the choices he makes. This book is not just the story of the world, but also the story of the life of a man. He sprinkles the narrative of international events with personal tidbits, like news of his engagement or the birth of his children. This human element of the story provides an interesting contrast to the other part. They mesh together well and make an intertwined narrative for the reader.

There was only one issue that I had with this book. My problem was the fact that this book did not seem to be edited perfectly. There were many places where punctuation was incorrectly used, or where the capitalisation of words was incorrect. This was quite irritating, especially because it was not a one-off incident. Additionally, the editing issue surfaced in the repetitious elements of the story. At times, the author would introduce a point and write a paragraph about it. A chapter or so later, when the same point came up, the author ends up using almost exactly the same paragraph once again. While it is possible that the point is simply an important one that the author wished to stress on, the means left something to be desired. I would have preferred to see the whole paragraph rewritten to ensure that the reader doesn’t get bored or annoyed. At the very least, care should be taken to ensure that the wording is not similar, even if the content is the same.

Anyone who enjoys biographies would certainly like this. In addition, I would recommend this book to people who wish to read a primer on the international incidents in the world after the World Wars. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I would love to give it 4 stars as I enjoyed it a lot, but the editing issues prevent me from doing so.

My Memoirs: Fifty Years of Journalism from Print to the Internet
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Anirudh Badri's review? Post a comment saying so!
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you enjoyed this one, but I just don't think it would be for me. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Anirudh Badri

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Thanks Kandscreeley. And I get it, there are a lot of good books that I am sure I would hate!
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

I love history. I wanna try this one some other time. Your review is very nice. I like it! Cheers!
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Anirudh Badri

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Thank you, readandsmile. Since you love history, I think you will really like the way he describes it. Hope you like it!

–Oscar Wilde
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

To capture historical events along a timeline with grace and enough detail to keepnthe reader intrigued is quite a task. The writer seems to have done a good job. Not my type of book, but glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for a great review
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Anirudh Badri

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Very true. It is a hard job to convey a non fiction timeline effectively and keep it interesting. Very glad that the author managed it well

–Oscar Wilde
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

I like reading such books related to history and specially the time around Cold War Era. Thank you for such in-depth review.
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html

Post by Aimy »

I would like to read this book. Such books not only provide us with useful information, but also help us broaden our minds.
Anirudh Badri

Post by Anirudh Badri »

ReviewerDiksha, glad that my review helped. Hope you enjoy it.

Aimy, very true. Enjoyable books from which we learn a lot are a great way to spend time.

–Oscar Wilde
Eva Gallegos
Currently Reading: Writing Your First Novel
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-gallegos.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Eva Gallegos »

Some journalists have the ability to write history better than historians; and in the first person. I would love to read this book. Thank you for the review
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Anirudh Badri

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Eva Gallegos, the journalists have their own perspective on things, which is a refreshing contrast to the style used by historians. That makes this book really enjoyable. Hope you like the book!

–Oscar Wilde
The Irmuun
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by The Irmuun »

i like reading this history. So good
Anirudh Badri

Post by Anirudh Badri »

I agree. We can learn a lot by reading history. Glad you enjoy it as well.

–Oscar Wilde
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

A pity about the editing errors in the book. Maybe with some proofreading and proper editing, it might be for me as well. Great review, Anirudh Badri.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”