Official Review: Happiness is All We Want!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Happiness is All We Want!

Post by Izesicle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Happiness is All We Want!" by Ashutosh Mishra.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Me: I love fiction, especially thrillers.
Other Me: Your book purchases in the last two years were about minimalism and yoga.
Me: Okay, okay, I like self-help too.

Chicken Soup for the Soul meets self-help in Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra. It is a nonfiction book that I would classify as development or self-help. It is organized well. It starts with an introduction and structure, then chapters on mental, physical, and spiritual wellbeing. In the introduction, the author points out that the usual notion of happiness is anchored on acquiring more material things or on a higher status in society, which take a lifetime to work towards but may never be achieved. His first message is to find things to be happy about in your everyday life and not to search for eternal happiness, which is elusive. He suggests that we "remain in a state of joy". To do that, we need to work on the wellness of our three aspects: mental, physical and spiritual. To these aspects, he assigns analogies: the monkey for the mind, the donkey for the body, and the horse for the spirit. These analogies enliven the text but they can sound forced and awkward sometimes.

When I go into a self-help book, I like to immediately zoom into the practical tips. Therefore, I was glad to see these sections within the chapters: happiness moment, tech trap, practical tip, wellbeing story, and wake-up story. My favorite tech trap point was, "Are you making the telco industry richer at your expense?" While some stories are sharings by the author, most of them are from interviews with people from diverse backgrounds. I appreciated this diversity because everyone is taking a different path to happiness. Some stories were relatable to me due to the corporate setting. There are also summary lists at the end of each sub-chapter: things to ponder, things to do, and smart wellbeing capsule. The annexure or appendix of the book has a list of the smart wellbeing capsules: action items with a short recommended duration. An example would be brisk walking for 45 minutes or being thankful for 20 minutes.

For a book with a very wide scope, it is relatively short. That said, I think it could benefit from more editing. The first chapter was riddled with too many commas, it even had duplicate commas. Sometimes, the apostrophe was misused. There are several phrases that are duplicated and could have been easily removed. Some practical tips are not actionable, aside from a mindset change. Some stories were too long and digressed from the point.

It was difficult for me to get used to the British-influenced English that was used in the book. Due to its weaknesses, I would have given it 2 out of 4 stars but its positive points won it a third star. The book has a balanced tone. It's not pushy; it says "please" when suggesting. There are mentions of the different religions, but only in relation to the personal circumstance of the interviewee or the reader. It's very sincere in trying to help so it gives tips like spend on a personal trainer than on workout gear or have a philanthropy wish list. My happiness moment was feeling like I saved a lot of money because it talks about practices that I have been thinking of trying, such as meditation, pranayama, vipasana, and reiki.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is written for all types of readers but especially for those who are feeling stagnant in their circumstances, such as workers in the corporate rat race. The smart well-being capsules can be easily added to a person's routine. For those who practice yoga like myself, you would appreciate the chapters on spiritual well being and mindfulness. My tip would be to go to the annexure, look at the smart well-being capsules, and go to the page that appeals to you. The book does accomplish its aim to provide actionable options towards happiness.

Happiness is All We Want!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Izesicle's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This seems like a pretty nice self-help book. I love all the tips that it gives you! Thanks for a nice review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Me: I love fiction, especially thrillers.
Other Me: Your book purchases in the last two years were about minimalism and yoga.
Me: Okay, okay, I like self-help too.
This describes me well...only that I love historical fiction instead of thrillers, but I always end up with DUI and self-help books. This was an entertaining review to read. Thanks
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

I am always looking for a good self-help read. Sometimes I forget how to be happy. Great review.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
El-kanah
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-kanah.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by El-kanah »

Nice self-help book. Educative.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Izesicle
Currently Reading:

Post by Izesicle »

Gosh. My first official review! I've always wondered how these are selected.

-- 22 Aug 2017, 04:49 --
kandscreeley wrote:This seems like a pretty nice self-help book. I love all the tips that it gives you! Thanks for a nice review.
Thanks for stopping by. Yeah, it definitely grew on me and it will take me years to try all the tips.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Your opening was very interesting. Congrats on your first official review!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Izesicle
Currently Reading:

Post by Izesicle »

This describes me well...only that I love historical fiction instead of thrillers, but I always end up with DUI and self-help books. This was an entertaining review to read. Thanks
Thanks! A good friend is trying to get me to like historical fiction too.
Did you mean DIY books?
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

I like your review. I learned from it, as you carefully wrote it. I love chicken soup for the soul because our soul must strong enough, too to fight our life battles; on physical, emotions and spiritual. Thank for your review, Cool!
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Izesicle wrote:
Thanks! A good friend is trying to get me to like historical fiction too.
Did you mean DIY books?
I am a history geek, somewhat... I just love reading about past experiences of many people and places. And I encourage you to do the same,if its your fancy.

Thanks for the correction, DIY not DUI.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I really like books which actually lighten up your soul.
'Monkey for the mind, the donkey for the body, and the horse for the spirit' I find it funny ???hehheeh
Admirable review as always ?
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

A self help book on happiness? I think a lot of people would find this book helpful. Thanks for the review.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Very thorough review! I think everyone should read such books at least once as it is happiness we all want.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

A self help book on spirituality is welcome.Thankyou for the review.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:

Post by Izesicle »

Afuglsan wrote:I am always looking for a good self-help read. Sometimes I forget how to be happy. Great review.
Me too sometimes i forget how to be happy. So we have to intentionally find ways to be happy. Your profile picture reminded me of my favourite ride in our local theme park. I was scared my slippers would fly off. LOL

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”