Official Review: A Service Dog Life by Kimberly Kiely

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: A Service Dog Life by Kimberly Kiely

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Service Dog Life" by Kimberly Kiely.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Although I've seen service dogs a couple times in my life, I never really knew much about what they actually did. There isn't much a dog can do, I thought, and assumed they were basically there for emotional support and to bark loudly if their handler fell or passed out... Oh, how wrong I was! A Service Dog Life by Kimberly Kiely is a creative little book (34 pages according to Amazon) that focuses on exactly what you'd think - the life of a service dog. However, what makes it unique is that it's told through the eyes of Jäger, a German Shepherd who works for his Mommy, Kimberly (the author).

After a brief introduction from the author that gives a little medical information about herself, Jäger takes over. Jäger is a sweet, hard-working German Shepherd whose full name (Jäger Von Schatten III) means "Hunter of Shadows" in English, something he thinks is "so cool"! Jäger then goes through various things he can do for his Mommy and how he learned them (like the practice he went through to be able to pick up tiny things like jewelry without swallowing them!) and how he has even learned to behave while at a noisy restaurant or movie theatre for hours. Throughout the book there are also various photos to illustrate all the things Jäger talks about.

I was really amazed at how many different things service dogs can do. "Brace", for example, has Jäger brace himself so that his Mommy can get up, lean against him when she's losing her balance or even act like a railing while going up stairs. He can also pick up all sorts of objects - from a cell phone to jewelry to toothpaste and other toiletries - without hurting them and can even put his own toys away (something I can't even say about many human beings). He uses the bathroom in a specific part of the yard that's made just for him and can even do it on command so that when his Mommy is going to go out he won't have to use the bathroom once they're out. In one of the later chapters, he mentions that he's surprised when people ask who he's supposed to be helping because his Mommy isn't in a wheelchair, and that's ridiculous - he says that many disabilities aren't seen on the outside and that not only does he help with her various neurological and skeletal issues, service dogs can also help people with epilepsy and diabetes. After reading the book, I can definitely say I can see how handy a service dog would be!

The photos throughout the book are excellent, and with so many the book works very effectively with children of any age. It's really cool to see him in action, actually holding different items, in his potty spot, bracing for her, putting his toys away, etc. Kimberly stated that she wrote this book to help explain service dogs to her own young son and people everywhere who have little knowledge of service dogs (like me!), including those who don't realize just how much they may benefit from one. With the photos and the fun way "Jäger" explains his training and what he can do, it's easy to say it succeeded at all of those goals.

I really enjoyed A Service Dog Life. It masterfully walks the fine lines between humor and information as well as between a "working" dog and a dog that's loved and not just a tool or servant. The photos were all excellent and illustrated everything incredibly well. My rating of the book is 4 out of 4 stars, and I can't recommend it enough for those who are interested in having a service dog, those who have one and have kids, anyone who knows someone with a service dog or people who just love dogs in general.

A Service Dog Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
El-kanah
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-kanah.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by El-kanah »

Great review. This is an eye opener especially for me as it is for you.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

Dogs are amazing! It is simply incredible what they can learn to do. Very cute book and good review.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

Wow, I love animals especially dog. i like your review. How happy I am to have a dog like the dog on this story. thank you for that well written review.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

I live with a service dog so this is a book I will have to get. Our clever boy helps Dad with his post traumatic stress disorder, PTSD, grounding him when he gets flashbacks, protecting him and keeping people away when he goes out as he can't stand crowds and people around him. There is so much a dog can do!
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I would have loved to have had this book a few years ago. I taught 1st grade at the time. One of the assistants in the building had a service animal. The kids were always asking questions that I had a hard time answering, beyond the basics.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
NellyKay
Currently Reading: Am I a Man Yet?
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by NellyKay »

With this book, I can call dogs the most helpful and must have pet in every home. In fact they've gone beyond pets to make you feel like the pet while they run all your errands, definitely a must read
morde
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morde.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by morde »

I have never considered having a pet, so for this I'll just skip. Nice review though.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

My dog recently just turned one year old and he could follow many commands already. Even though he's not trained as a service dog, you could see how smart he is with the way that he communicates. He can sense your emotion and I think that's what makes dogs great. I think this book is a wonderful way to teach people about the importance of service dogs. It should be spread to many people especially those who do not treat dogs fairly. Thanks for the great review.
tamdlyte
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ittersweet: Sanctuary (Part 1 of 3)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295

Post by tamdlyte »

I am a horse trainer in real life and know that given enough time, any animal can be trained to do quite amazing things within physical limitations. What I AM amazed about is that more people don't know this! If we can train kids, we can certainly train dogs! LOL We need more and various service animals just to acclimate people to the idea that we share this world with other living, breathing, helping entities. Like this reviewer said, "I never really knew much about what they actually did." It's the job of people who "know" to teach the people who don't know.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Dogs are such amazing animals. So loyal, kind, and always there for you no matter what. I love this idea of the author teaching both children and adults what it means to be a service dog. It's great to hear that humor is woven, as well as, great photos are included in this short read. Thank you for another lovely review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
rusyalana
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 156

Post by rusyalana »

I do not deny the fact that dogs are really of great importance to people as they help a lot in various spheres of life. No wonder they are called "men's best friends". But I'm a cat person and though cats are much meaner than dogs and they show their character way more frequently I still love them.
Bettychi55
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettychi55.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Post by Bettychi55 »

Not really into dogs. I am however thrilled by the abilities the possess. I guess in this most often lonely world, one could really find that supportive companion in a service dog. Nice review. Just like you I find the information about service dogs very new.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
dauntlesswitch
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauntlesswitch.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter" by Jordan David
Reading Device: B01M9IIPZ8

Post by dauntlesswitch »

I love dogs and they're part of our family. I've always admired service dogs because they're always there for their mom/dad. It's time people appreciated those dogs. Thank you for the wonderful review, will definitely check this book out.
The music fills me up, quieting all the extra noises in my life, making my heart swell larger and larger until there’s nothing left of me but ears and a soul.
— Erin Watt
Latest Review: "The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter" by Jordan David
DeboraSilva
Currently Reading: The Ask and the Answer
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborasilva.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by DeboraSilva »

This book seems like an eye opener. I am a special needs teacher and I see practically everyday the joy and happiness that it can bring to have a friend and a companion to rely on. Thank you for the wonderful review, I will give a try for sure.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”