Official Review: 30 Minute Body by Lance McCullough

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: 30 Minute Body by Lance McCullough

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "30 Minute Body" by Lance McCullough.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lance McCullough is a world champion bench press weight lifter. He is certified as a personal trainer and has completed over 100,000 training sessions with customers. Lance has always developed training regimens for himself through his bench-pressing career, but in his book 30 Minute Body, he explains the secrets of the training regimens he develops for his customers. The regimens are highly centered around weight training, but Lance boasts that they can be completed by anyone, regardless of age or fitness level.

I first picked up 30 Minute Body while I was on vacation with my family. We were planning a road trip, and I just knew that we would be eating almost every meal at a restaurant. Predicting the need for an intervention, I saw 30 Minute Body and thought I had hit the jackpot! Lance’s explanations are super easy to understand, and he has a way of writing that really conveys his personality along with the information. He has many interesting stories to tell about his customers – all of them, of course, success stories.

However, the more I read, the more doubtful I became. When I was in college I wanted to take advantage of the school’s gym, but they didn’t have personal trainers or anything to help newbies who didn’t even know how to work some of the machines. So, I did a lot of research on my own. I watched videos, read scientific articles on the pros and cons of different exercises, and studied the balance of diet and exercise and how calories and metabolism work. I’m in no way an expert on fitness, but I found some of Lance’s statements alarming. First of all, none of the numbers in his book were cited, so I couldn’t look them up to see if they were true or not. Secondly, he stated that cardio burns both muscle and fat while lowering your metabolism. Livestrong.com, a reputable fitness website, actually states: “All forms of cardio, such as walking or running, immediately boost your metabolism…Aerobic exercise can boost your metabolism for hours or even days after each session.” The only time cardio burns muscle instead of fat is if the athlete is following a calorie-deficient diet.

I can understand Lance’s take on cardio. After all, for most of his life he’s focused on putting on as much muscle as possible, and any risk of losing that muscle is a risk he’s not willing to take. However, for the average gym-goer looking to lose a few pounds, cardio is definitely the best way to go. Not only is it the fastest way to burn calories, it can improve heart health and exercises such as jogging or stair climbing use muscles all over the body. I can’t believe that a professional trainer would blatantly ignore the benefits of cardio in order to push muscle training.

Despite how much I disagreed with Lance’s stance on exercise, I did try his program for two weeks. I had only minimal changes in my body measurements (nothing over 0.5 inches) and my 1 pound of weight loss could simply be attributed to cooking my own meals instead of eating out over vacation. Due to a few formatting issues in the book, such as Secret #36 not having any writing after it, and how much I disagreed with the advice Lance gave, I can only give this book 2 out of 4 stars. However, I think it would be a good, short read for anyone who is interested in weight lifting specifically, rather than overall fitness. Lance talks about his professional career and how to safely lift weights quite a lot, so it would be helpful to that specific target audience.

30 Minute Body
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mumoscar »

Thanks for trying this exercise! It's such an encouragement. Even when you disagreed with the author, you have given great recommendation.
Great review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's a good premise for a book, but I don't think I'd agree with what he said either. Thanks for a good review. I don't think I'll be getting this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
March Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-march-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by March Reviewer »

Thanks for the review. It is great that you actually tried the exercises. This is one more book that I will not read.
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

Thanks for a good review. I started reading this one, with the intention of taking some of his advice, but never finished. Maybe I'll do my own research after your recommendation. Not going back to reading this one.
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Thanks for doing independent research to ascertain the facts in the book. I would also be extremely concerned by the lack of citations, especially for claims like the one you mentioned about cardio.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

I think it sounded fishy at the start, I didn't like the premise or the cover and thought something was off. It turned out I was right, I think there are many false things written which is not something to take lightly. It's about health so not everyone can write and publish a book without education or proper research. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts »

March Reviewer wrote:Thanks for the review. It is great that you actually tried the exercises. This is one more book that I will not read.
Yes, I'm definitely glad I tried the exercises! I always incorporate weight training into my gym routine, but Lance suggests "doing reps to fail" and starting at the highest possible weight for as many reps as possible before lowering the weight. By doing that, I pulled a muscle in my shoulder and couldn't do strenuous arm exercises for around 3 days.

-- 19 Aug 2017, 09:27 --
IsabelMay wrote:I think it sounded fishy at the start, I didn't like the premise or the cover and thought something was off. It turned out I was right, I think there are many false things written which is not something to take lightly. It's about health so not everyone can write and publish a book without education or proper research. Thanks for the review.
I think Lance has the education and experience to write a health book, but he's writing towards the wrong audience. His plan isn't for people who want to lose a few pounds, it's more for people who want to pack on muscles and have a "stronger" body rather than a "healthier" body.

-- 19 Aug 2017, 09:28 --
Anirudh Badri wrote:Thanks for doing independent research to ascertain the facts in the book. I would also be extremely concerned by the lack of citations, especially for claims like the one you mentioned about cardio.
Yes, I'm always very suspicious when people talk about health, whether it's food or exercise! There are so many false studies out there claiming that foods can be "negative calories" or doing just one exercise can burn X calories...It sounds good in theory, but there isn't a lot of science behind it!
Only Me
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Only Me »

I read the reviews and was somewhat concerned. I have personally used Lance' s methodology since January. Granted I was disenchanted with the theory of "No cardio" because I came from the track world. However, I decided to be open minded, try this "new to me" concept and see what happens. I changed my diet, incorporated weight training, and quit my mileage workouts. I lost nearly 25 pounds and dropped several dress sizes, from size 14 to a size 6. My track coach once told me that there are 2 doors in a house. They both go in and out. This means that "No cardio" may not work for you, but it might work for other's. Read the book, take the pieces that work for you and incorporate them into your workout. Try it for yourself, then make your own intelligent decision. As for me, it works.

Dr. W.
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

Yikes! That's a little frightening that a trainer would give false information. People who don't know anything about fitness listen to these people and trust that they are giving them good information. I don't think I'll be reading this one.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
Mon Lo

Post by Mon Lo »

I have read the book and have been following Lance's recommendations for the past two months and have seen better results in two months than I had seen in several years of following the mainstream approach of killing myself with cardio. No, I haven't completely illuminated cardio because that is not what he recommends in the book as he clearly states in the first paragraph in chapter 12. I have however changed my workouts to focus on strength training first along with a balanced diet, a good nights sleep, and some cardio a couple days a week. I have lost inches and I find that my clothes is fitting better. I am also sleeping through the night and find that I have more energy throughout my day. If this isn't overall better health for me personally, then I don't know what is. I strongly recommend that you read the book, truly follow his recommendations and then decide for yourself if this is the right method for you. It has worked for me!
jsahagun

Post by jsahagun »

i have read my fair share of fitness books and i'd have to say that thus far, the 30 minute body book has made it easier for me to understand fitness in a way that no other book has. after reading the book, i figured the best way to actually see if his methods really worked for me was to sign up and train. i was lucky enough to live near his training facility and decided to sign up. i wanted to see how he incorporated his training methods from the book. the first two weeks were really light because he focused more on getting the form right and seeing how my body reacted to the exercises. after the 2 weeks that is when the real work began. lance was there to help guide me in the right direction. he made it clear that there is a lot of false information that travels around which leads to a lot of confusion. people don't know what works and what doesn't. for me it was a positive experience because i learned a lot of information that i can utilize when i train on my own. i personally found his methods of training worked for me. im currently applying his training methods and have seen a lot of results. within a few months my body started to tone up and i have gained a few pounds of muscle. the best part about his training philosophy is how only three 30 minute workouts per week, along with a proper diet and adequate rest, is enough to sustain a healthy and fit life. i strongly suggest that you keep an open mind and try it out for yourselves. we all have to find what works best for us. but one thing is for certain, i would rather train 30 minutes 3 times per week than be at the gym for hours and hours. all in all, i would definitely recommend this book to others.
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

I am sorry, but I believe you have underrated the facts stated in the book based on your knowledge from "reputable" website as Livesrtong.com. As the author stated, cardio UNDENIABLY burns both muscle and fat while lowering your metabolism. He is right on the button, and based on my 3 years practice in Bodybuilding and Fitness, I have found myself disappointed with Livesrtong.com, as I tried every fad in sports they claim to be fit. I tried it all! And my stubborn fat didn't go away. Ever since I focused only on weight lifting, my fat level isn't flactuating at all. With all due respect, I believe you were the wrong rating this book based on your disagreement with TRUTHFUL facts.
Champ

Post by Champ »

Wow! After going through the previous post I have to say that I am shocked by most of them. I have to start off by saying that everyone is entitled to their own opinion...that is why they call it an opinion. I have found that you take what you need and you leave the rest for someone else to use. I am not only leaving my opinion but I am leaving the facts about Lance McCullough 30 Minutes Body. The fact is that I am 53 years young and have benefited from Lance McCullough philosophy and his way of training. If it weren't for his knowledge in all areas of how the body reacts to certain exercises, the amount of weight and the results they garner, I wouldn't be sitting here as an IFBB Pro Figure Competitor. His knowledge took me from fourth nationally place nationally to first place nationally and winning overall winner in just 5 short weeks on his program. I went to him with limitations (shoulder problems, Achilles tendinitis) and he not only worked around those problems but made them stronger!!!! I lost inches and weight! I was amazed at the techniques he used to shrink my stomach and build my calfs. When I first started working out with Lance I questioned his way of thinking until I say the RESULTS! I I wasn't use to the weights or repetitions HOWEVER he looked at my body, factored in my eating regiment and took me on a Journey I will cherish and forever be thankful for. In working with him after I earning my "Pro card" I found that he also has the experience in not only getting you ready for the stage but also has the program set so that you can continue to stay fit and healthy. The 30 Body Works if you work it! That's my story and I am sticking with it!! AChampion Now AChampion Forever!
katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts »

Champ wrote:Wow! After going through the previous post I have to say that I am shocked by most of them. I have to start off by saying that everyone is entitled to their own opinion...that is why they call it an opinion. I have found that you take what you need and you leave the rest for someone else to use. I am not only leaving my opinion but I am leaving the facts about Lance McCullough 30 Minutes Body. The fact is that I am 53 years young and have benefited from Lance McCullough philosophy and his way of training. If it weren't for his knowledge in all areas of how the body reacts to certain exercises, the amount of weight and the results they garner, I wouldn't be sitting here as an IFBB Pro Figure Competitor. His knowledge took me from fourth nationally place nationally to first place nationally and winning overall winner in just 5 short weeks on his program. I went to him with limitations (shoulder problems, Achilles tendinitis) and he not only worked around those problems but made them stronger!!!! I lost inches and weight! I was amazed at the techniques he used to shrink my stomach and build my calfs. When I first started working out with Lance I questioned his way of thinking until I say the RESULTS! I I wasn't use to the weights or repetitions HOWEVER he looked at my body, factored in my eating regiment and took me on a Journey I will cherish and forever be thankful for. In working with him after I earning my "Pro card" I found that he also has the experience in not only getting you ready for the stage but also has the program set so that you can continue to stay fit and healthy. The 30 Body Works if you work it! That's my story and I am sticking with it!! AChampion Now AChampion Forever!
First of all, I'd like to apologize to everyone who read this view and had a fit over the whole "cardio" issue. It was my fault for misunderstanding what Lance was trying to explain. After specifically saying that he does not recommend cardio "any longer," he goes on to explain how weight loss (note: NOT cardio) burns both fat and muscle. The abrupt change in subjects threw me off and caused a misunderstanding.

Champ, I specifically replied to you because you proved one of the points I made previously. You seem to be a weightlifting champion and Lance's program suited you well, but I'm not interested in weightlifting at all. The 30 minute body you want and the 30 minute body I want are two different things. I think Lance is targeting the wrong audience with his book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”