Review of painkiller brainkiller

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Seetha E
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: The Attenuating Puritan by Robert McGuiness

Review of painkiller brainkiller

Post by Seetha E »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "painkiller brainkiller" by James m powers II.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Pain Killer = Brain Killer is a powerful non-fiction book that documents the story of James M. Powers II's journey from opioid addiction to recovery. James was adopted by Kenneth Edward Powers and Margaret Ann Powers in 1963. The opening chapter explains why James' biological parents couldn't raise him. James describes his childhood as idyllic and unrelated to his addiction story.

However, in 1995, a terrible car accident left him severely injured. Having left home to meet his friend, he wakes up with a medic waving salts under his nose. It was nothing short of a miracle that he was alive. Despite initially believing he was fine, he sensed a throbbing pain running down his neck and shoulder not very long after the medics left the scene. After visiting his chiropractor friend, followed by a visit to the neurosurgeon, the seriousness of his internal injuries came to light. Surgery was scheduled. James was prescribed painkillers to manage the pain. Unfortunately, this began a cycle of dependence and addiction, followed by physical and psychological trauma that lasted for 15 years. The road to recovery was long and painful and left him devoid of his loved relationships.

James felt let down by healthcare professionals who prescribed the medication without informing him of the addictive and dangerous nature of the drugs. The pharmacist only warned him against driving under the influence of the pill, as it could cause dizziness. James lists all the names and doses of the medication he was initially prescribed and describes how they were ineffective very soon. His dependence quickly skyrocketed. 

I appreciate the brutal honesty with which this memoir accounts for his quick dependence and addiction. The author describes how addiction can take control not only of one's physical body but also one's psychological well-being, leading to behavior that may be deemed unacceptable. The author admits to doing things he is ashamed of and recounts his near-death experiences. I believe these parts of the memoir will help addicts and their families understand the reasons for strange behavior and offer support instead of judgment.

I realized that opioid addiction can be a vicious cycle. The author describes it as riding a merry-go-round at top speed, where one cannot get off. I appreciate the vivid details about all of his overwhelming withdrawal symptoms. I admire the author's willingness to hope for recovery and determination to give it his all. He never saw suicide as an option, and he held his mother's words in high regard. He took a considerable amount of time to overcome the addiction, making it an important reminder of the dangers of opioid addiction and the importance of empathy and understanding in healthcare.

The book nudges at the moral responsibility and accountability of pharmaceutical companies and the medical industry. The author highlights the need for punishment for those involved in the opioid epidemic, including Purdue Pharma and the Sackler family. I agree with the author's stance on this matter.

While I found the memoir informative and engaging, I would have liked more details about the recovery stages. However, I understand the recovery details were withheld to encourage informed medical advice. The author provides the name and address of the doctor and a website for more resources, which I found helpful. I did notice some minor errors in the book, which can be rectified through editing. Both of these aspects do not call for any reduction in ratings. Hence, with no negative comments, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.

Due to profanity throughout the book, I recommend it for adults only. This memoir will be helpful to anyone who has fallen into an addiction trap, as it offers hope to fight the disease of addiction and return to normalcy. The author has shared his story to help others in similar situations. The book explores the psyche after addiction, the journey of withdrawal symptoms, lesser-known recovery modes, contact information, and the importance of spreading the word. The several song references and motivational quotes are a bonus.

painkiller brainkiller
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Raymonda Onwuka 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Banished
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka-1.html
Latest Review: Tropical Scandal by David Myles Robinson

Post by Raymonda Onwuka 1 »

It is also easy to go in to addiction because of physical and emotional pain but it is very difficult to stop even when all you want is to just stop. I am glad that the author broke free and decided to share the experience with his readers. Thanks for the great review
Mark Maxwell 2
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-maxwell-2.html
Latest Review: The Boy who Lived with Ghosts by John Mitchell

Post by Mark Maxwell 2 »

Brain Killer" is a powerful and compelling testament to the resilience of the human spirit and the importance of seeking help in times of need.
williams Emerald
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Cackling of the Crows
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-emerald.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by williams Emerald »

I appreciate your reflection on the moral accountability aspect regarding pharmaceutical companies and the medical industry. It’s an important discussion to have in addressing the opioid epidemic.
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

Opioid addiction us very common and I've been told it's one of the most addictive painkillers. So sorry sbout the accident though. I lobed reading your review

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”