Official Review: Personal Encounters with Cancer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Official Review: Personal Encounters with Cancer

Post by melissy370 »

I find it ironic that this is the BOTD today. I had to attend a funeral of a friend this afternoon who had cancer. Hearing stories of how he always had hope even when things got bad inspired me. No matter what our circumstances are, we can look to the future with hope. The stories in this book are needed to remind us of that. Congrats on BOTD.
drunyan
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drunyan.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by drunyan »

I appreciate the book review provided above. Each type of cancer has its own challenges, and each person uses specific treatments, tailored to his/her needs. It is hard to know what a person who is undergoing treatment is thinking, so reading from a first-person perspective was eye-opening.
treestand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-treestand.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by treestand »

Thank you for your great review. I believe I will have to look into this book, as my family has been hurt by cancer numerous times.
shalom113
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by shalom113 »

I think it definitely helps someone going through the pain and suffering of cancer, to hear how other people got through it. Like the review states, everyone's experience is unique, however, the emotional aspect, I think would be similar. Coping with socio-economic factors might be somewhat similar, however, could also vary. I think it helps to enlarge ones support system, what ever challenges we face in life.
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

What a simultaneously confronting yet compelling book!

Clearly Personal Encounters With Cancer by Margaret Barnhart will not appeal to everyone immediately but will be most likely read by many as they experience their own struggles with cancer. This includes the struggle of watching loved ones receive a diagnosis and undergo treatment, explore options and make difficult choices, have bouts of apparent wellness and/or serious sickness and/or recovery.

As a daughter, sister and aunt of family members who have been touched by cancer I understand there would be times previously where I would have desperately wanted to read such a book and times now where it would not be my first choice. As a social worker I know that a book such as this has great potential to provide assistance, knowledge and comfort to those who read it.

Thank you, Margaret, for sharing your journey and the journey of five others.
caoimhe123
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caoimhe123.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by caoimhe123 »

Very thorough and interesting review! The book seems very interesting, especially since it gives us an insight into different forms of cancer, and not the ones that come to mind when hearing the dreaded C word.
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
Gods Monkey
Currently Reading: The Morning Mind
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gods-monkey.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Gods Monkey »

I have lost many people to cancer so the title of this book was very off putting. I wasn’t completely sold after reading the sample but reading the review made think maybe this book would actually be worth reading.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

I will touch on divine justice, on why so horrible things happen to good people. Cancer is one of such horrible things. I have a proposition, this book should tie up with Health tips, Myths, and Tricks,so that readers will have added knowledge about this disease as cancer is also mentioned in there. Thank you for this very informative review. You have described the anguish and predicament of those afflicted with cancer, plus those around them, I can just imagine how painful it was.
Kat Kennedy
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-kennedy.html
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella

Post by Kat Kennedy »

Thank you for a great review. My best friend is in remission from breast cancer, and every six months she has to wait to hear if that truth remains so. It is a hard and frightening journey.
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella
deeanddan1974

Post by deeanddan1974 »

This book sounds very interesting and will give insight into what patients actually go through. I think give me an understanding of what my family members have experienced.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

Yes cancer is a horrible disease. What is worse,a lot of cases could be avoided if people didn't smoke. I thinks smokers rank just above suicide bombers in the list of worst types of people ever.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

I do not know anyone whose life has not been affected in some way by Cancer. Today's #BOTD is a book for everyone. I am not sure I can emotionally handle reading this right now because of the difficult time we are having with my Mom being so very sick. :-( She has an inoperable brain tumor in her brain stem. It is heartbreaking to see her health fade away more each day, knowing there is no hope for improvement. I have added it to my WTR list. I think you nailed it on the head when you said this book makes readers feel they are not alone. So often in life when we are faced with difficulty, it feels like we are the only ones who have ever felt this way. Because of this, days seem long and hopeless. The last thing we want to do is talk things over with someone who, we believe, has no idea what we are going through. That is why books become best friends. The people, their stories, and the connections we make with their shared words, thoughts, and emotions help make life seem a bit more manageable. Thank you so much for your review. It was wonderful. :-) And, Margaret Phalor Barnhart, thank you for sharing your personal thoughts and experiences with the world. Your words are not only an offering of hope, but they are also a gift of strength, support, and friendship to so many who feel alone during a difficult time. You are loved and appreciated! :-)
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

Thanks for the pleasant and informative review. "These and many more of the day-to-day life narratives are things people with cancer genuinely deal with but I've never read about them anywhere else." The concept of this book is very inspiring, and I hope that after reading it, I will be able to understand at least a few of the struggles people who are diagnosed with cancer endure. It's always nice to make time and understand someone else's circumstances.
mlodge1985

Post by mlodge1985 »

It was a very informative book. What made it truly amazing was the personal accounts from real people. It gives you and inside view of what life with cancer is like and how these people dealt with getting through each day. Each story shows you that cancer does not discriminate, but also that it is not the end.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

tarafarah7 wrote: 12 Jan 2018, 21:16 I do not know anyone whose life has not been affected in some way by Cancer. Today's #BOTD is a book for everyone. I am not sure I can emotionally handle reading this right now because of the difficult time we are having with my Mom being so very sick. :-( She has an inoperable brain tumor in her brain stem. It is heartbreaking to see her health fade away more each day, knowing there is no hope for improvement. I have added it to my WTR list. I think you nailed it on the head when you said this book makes readers feel they are not alone. So often in life when we are faced with difficulty, it feels like we are the only ones who have ever felt this way. Because of this, days seem long and hopeless. The last thing we want to do is talk things over with someone who, we believe, has no idea what we are going through. That is why books become best friends. The people, their stories, and the connections we make with their shared words, thoughts, and emotions help make life seem a bit more manageable. Thank you so much for your review. It was wonderful. :-) And, Margaret Phalor Barnhart, thank you for sharing your personal thoughts and experiences with the world. Your words are not only an offering of hope, but they are also a gift of strength, support, and friendship to so many who feel alone during a difficult time. You are loved and appreciated! :-)
I'm hoping for all the best for your mom's health!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”