Official Review: Personal Encounters with Cancer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bmdance456
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: Personal Encounters with Cancer

Post by bmdance456 »

This book is really close to my heart because my mother is a cancer survivor. I know it was very difficult for her to go through this and for me because it had caused her chronic fatigue and she could do nothing but rest all the time. I also lost my grandma to cancer this past spring which makes me grateful that I still have my mom with me. Anyways this book just hit home from me. 5 out 5 stars
hartman20
Currently Reading: Thrive
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hartman20.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by hartman20 »

Cancer affects more people than I realized before I was treated for it myself (acute myeloid leukemia). I love that this author talks about more than just the types of cancer that these individuals dealt with. Like you said, there's much more to be told. You learn about your own strength (your family's and friends' as well) and how an entire community can come together to help a person. Thanks for this review, I'll have to give this one a chance!
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

This can be a helpful book for cancer patients, their families & professionals alike. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

From your review, it seems like a well written book, specially because of the personal details! Congrats to the author on the 4/4 review!
Frenjie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frenjie.html
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael

Post by Frenjie »

It would be interesting to know how six different people dealt with their own battle with cancer. This is truly an amazing book which readers could draw inspiration and learning from the real life experiences of the characters. Thank you for the nice review.
" Desire is the starting point of all achievement, not a hope, not a wish but a keen pulsating desire which transcends everything." - Napoleon Hill
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

I will read this book. My father had leukemia, and Parkinson's disease, so I can certainly relate. Not only do we have my father's illnesses, my mother has diabetes, and my husband has kidney failure. This book will help me tremendously. Thank you for the review!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I am certain that everyone has at least a passing acquaintance with someone who has, or has had, cancer. I have lost count of how many friends and family I have lost to the disease. Fortunately I have so many more who have survived. I think this book has much to offer, but also may be very painful for some!
liway9100
Currently Reading: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by liway9100 »

This book should be an all-time book as cancer is rampant. Thank you for the review. A unique approach in tackling this decease - a more personal, in-depth and informative way.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

While I normally wouldn't read a book of this type, you really sold me with your note that each story is really personal as opposed to a more clinical view. I'm especially curious how the person with tongue cancer dealt with that. I also like the idea of the author including poetry and such. Excellent job on your review!
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I consider myself lucky that I have not really encountered the horrors of cancer, so I don’t think this book is for me. However, it sounds like a comforting read for those touched by this terrible disease. I’m glad you enjoyed the various stories so much.
Badjenetix
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Badjenetix »

This is a solid review. Not knowing exactly what to expect from the title the reviewer allows us to see just a enough of what to expect in order for us to have a better idea. I like the idea of the stories from difference perspectives and with difference forms of cancer. Each person having to deal with the same disease but in a different way since they each produce different problems.

As a former medical professional I’m familiar with a few of the issues, but to be able to read these more personal stories would I think help any current medical professional have a greater understanding of what the individuals have to deal with day to day.
myyamouse18
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by myyamouse18 »

a book i would love to read. Cancer is a major health problem and this book seems very inspiring
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

Thanks for the review! This sounds like a remarkable book. Cancer is such a terrifying and destructive disease, and having such an insight to the people personally affected is a unique opportunity. I look forward to reading it.
mischellefe001
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mischellefe001 »

Personal Encounters with Cancer by Margaret Phalor Barnhart

I like crystal's lositive attitude and being so obedient with the her doctor. How i wish many people is like her who is very optimistic one and did not loose hope inspite of every trials coming thwir way. That is a good spirit that everyone must have like me.
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

Great review.cancer has been more and more common, more and more people are affected by it, it's refreshing to see a book talking about the real truths.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”