Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Volunteer Reviews

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Review by Creating Serenity -- Health Tips, Myths, and T...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.

Review by Creating Serenity -- Health Tips, Myths, and T...

Post Number:#1 by Creating Serenity
» 03 Aug 2017, 16:34

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by Creating Serenity
Share This Review

I love reading books like these because there is a lot of information out there and it is getting very difficult to wade through it all. Science can be difficult to understand but by taking one myth at a time Morton E. Tavel is able to look at the science behind many myths and weigh in on the matter. Many of these myths I have been curious about but have not read scientific articles to either back up or deny, so I was already quite curious with what he found.

First of all, this is a very short book. Coming in at under 250 pages you would think it would be a breeze to get through, but it took me a full month. Partially because I wanted to fully digest the information contained within, think it over, find other articles, and then continue, instead of just breezing through without remembering any information. Still, there is a lot of information here and even with slowing my reading progress down a great deal, I still cannot remember all the tips and tricks!

The few that did stick with me are those that I have been curious about for a long time. Things such as coffee not being bad for you but what is bad for your body is the amount of sugar and milk that we add. He specifically mentions a Venti White Chocolate Mocha like he's taking a dagger and stabbing me in the heart! I only get this drink about once every two months or so, and as a very wonderfully sweet treat, but he wants his readers to know just how much sugar we are ingesting on a daily basis. It's not good!

There were other very interesting studies such as organic foods versus genetically modified foods. I am on the fence about this because once again I have not done enough studying to come up with a valid answer (for myself), however I did not think with everything he said enough about genetically modified foods to change anyone's mind if they are already firmly set.

With many of the tips, myths, and tricks the author adds in many details about why the thing is good or bad, but some of the tips do not have that type of information. Being a lover of science, even if I do not fully understand everything about it, I would want more data on why these tips are good or bad. And the scholarly scientific reasons and evidence behind why or why not.

The main case was aspartame. There is another case that I know was false, vaccinations. I saw the study and how it was done to be biased against vaccinations and I was able to find this information through scholarly evidence. Aspartame is one where he mentioned that the studies against aspartame were false, however unlike many of his other myths I feel like there is not enough information derived from the positive studies to make me change my mind and start eating anything with aspartame.

There was also an almost pretentious sound about how the information was given. Yes, I'm here to learn but the minute anyone starts speaking down to me, they're going to lose me. The author mentions how anyone can get a doctorate and not to trust every person out there but here he is trying to spread his very own ideas, sometimes without evidence. It seemed hypocritical at best. In one instance he is even patting himself on the back for being a doctor and knowing all this information that the little people do not know. No, those were not his exact words but that was the feeling that I derived from the book. The reason I stuck with it is because I'm a curious person. I wanted to find more information about questions I have had about certain studies.

Overall: 3 out of 4 stars

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves

Like Creating Serenity's review? Post a comment saying so!
Creating Serenity's Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Creating Serenity

Currently Reading: How to Read Literature Like a Professor Revised
Bookshelf Size: 2258 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 6 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 200 Books
Goal Completion: 12%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!