Official Review: Still I Stand by Stephanie L. Franklin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Official Review: Still I Stand by Stephanie L. Franklin

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Still I Stand" by Stephanie L. Franklin.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are people who enjoy reading non-fiction books because they can gain knowledge from them or even become inspired by the motivational stories. I am one of those people who like spending the day with a good book that holds a strong message. However, in the case of Stephanie Franklin’s Still I Stand, there is much that I would like to say.

Still I Stand is Stephanie Franklin’s first novel which she wrote for the majority of her young adult life. Within the contents is her life story which details events wherein she tried to overcome her obstacles and how she stayed strong for herself. She also wrote on how change impacted her life, especially her relationship with her husband.

Unfortunately, I’m going to have to just come out and say this: the grammar is very confusing and oftentimes incorrect. There are also various typos littered across the whole story that I can’t even begin to count them all. These errors made it difficult for me to read the book properly, leading me to think that it isn’t professionally edited at all. Also, her constant mention and elaborations about change were irritably redundant and interrupted my flow of reading. There are so many things that should be fixed in this book.

I was only able to finish reading this because I was curious as to how she handled all of her hardships and as to why she chose the title “Still I Stand”. I was also interested as to why her husband even thought of cheating on her when she thought of him as her best friend, the one that she could rely on, as well as someone whom she loved very much. Additionally, I admired her resilience and her motivation to change herself. She had a lot of underlying beautiful words of wisdom in her story, something that I appreciated greatly.

All in all, I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. I could barely even finish this book, and I only did because I always finish something I started reading as long as I still have something I'm curious about. I could not bear the poor writing, the glaring errors, and the redundancy in this book. I doubt anyone would enjoy reading this when the negative qualities clearly overshadow the positive ones. Admittedly, I should have seen this coming based on the unprofessional summary itself, but I wanted to know about her story and especially her final thoughts at the end.

This book could have appealed to a lot of readers looking for realistic motivation in life, but I can’t really recommend this to them in its current state. If the author thoroughly revised her work, perhaps I would give it a second chance, but it’s an unlikely possibility.

Still I Stand
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Aubrey Cana Laine's review? Post a comment saying so!
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

Straight forward and honest review, Aubrey. I especially admire your resilience in reading through. I would not have done the same. Thanks for sharing!
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm sorry that this was so disappointing. It sounds like it has potential if reworked a lot. Thanks for making it all the way through so that you could tell us about it!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Lol curiosity will be the death of you! I can't bear to finish a bad book. Thank you for finishing it and writing this review. You took one for the team!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

LadyClaire wrote:Straight forward and honest review, Aubrey. I especially admire your resilience in reading through. I would not have done the same. Thanks for sharing!
Whew! Thanks. I just really wanted to know the ending. The author at least did decently on her last line, but almost everything else was a painful read.

-- 08 Aug 2017, 04:16 --
kandscreeley wrote:I'm sorry that this was so disappointing. It sounds like it has potential if reworked a lot. Thanks for making it all the way through so that you could tell us about it!
Yeah, I know. If it gets revised, then great! But I don't think I can ever read it again.

-- 08 Aug 2017, 04:20 --
Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:Lol curiosity will be the death of you! I can't bear to finish a bad book. Thank you for finishing it and writing this review. You took one for the team!
Good thing I survived! And thanks! I just had to finish it so I could write everything that I think needs to be fixed. :D
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Thank you for your honest review . I am not going near this book
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Nice review, the title look like a very interesting book but as you said it is a bit confusing. I can't dare to read when I it's hard to understand. Thank you for your honest review.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

Darakhshan Nazir wrote:Thank you for your honest review . I am not going near this book
You're welcome! :D

-- 11 Aug 2017, 05:21 --
Jem Tomarong wrote:Nice review, the title look like a very interesting book but as you said it is a bit confusing. I can't dare to read when I it's hard to understand. Thank you for your honest review.
Yeah, the contents were terribly redundant and they also weren't in chronological order. That made it confusing for me. I managed to grasp the gist of it, but it was still difficult to read properly. :(
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Nice review! Too bad about the mistakes in the book. The plot does have the potential for a good book.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

The Researcher wrote:Nice review! Too bad about the mistakes in the book. The plot does have the potential for a good book.
Thanks! And yeah, it could have had potential if written well! :)
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

I just came from your reviewer page. Too bad, you haven't been lucky, given the ratings you gave. I really liked the honesty and fairness of your review. I learned from it and will use it in my future reviews.

Thanks for stopping by my review.
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

Izesicle wrote: 03 Sep 2017, 15:36 I just came from your reviewer page. Too bad, you haven't been lucky, given the ratings you gave. I really liked the honesty and fairness of your review. I learned from it and will use it in my future reviews.

Thanks for stopping by my review.
I'm late for a reply, but I just want to say thanks a lot. I hope you'll be even more successful with your reviews!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”