Official Review: Writing Your First Novel by John Reynolds

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Official Review: Writing Your First Novel by John Reynolds

Post by Jaime Lync »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Writing Your First Novel" by John Reynolds.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Writing Your First Novel by John Reynolds is an aptly titled practical guide for any and everyone who aspires to write fiction novels. Reynolds gives concise but clear advice on topics ranging from the conceptualization of the novel to the marketing of the finished product. At the time of writing this review, this book is available on Amazon.com as a Kindle e-book for USD 4.99. I believe that this author’s work is worth every penny.

I enjoyed reading this book. At first glance, the cover may seem like it has two blue blocks of inconsequential prose. However, after close examination, it is obvious that Reynolds has already started giving out golden advice to aspiring novelist on character development. The table of contents also reveals that the author has not neglected any of the key components of writing a novel. There are specific chapters dedicated to the plot, characters, dialogues, descriptive passages and grammatical components of the novel. There is even a chapter devoted to love and sex in regards to writing. The chapters also contain clearly defined subtopics. This makes the writing flow very smoothly and allows for the reader to be able to find specific information without having to sift through blocks of paragraphs.

Moreover, every chapter begins with a motivational quote on writing. My favorite one is, “if you would be a writer, write!” by Epictetus (featured at the start of the first chapter). Reynolds' also includes excerpts from novels including his own novels, Uncommon Enemy and Robyn Hood: Outlaw Princess. These excerpts serve as examples of do’s and don’ts of writing a novel. Also, I was really impressed by how succinct the author was able to make this book. There were no superfluous sentences. It is obvious that Reynolds paid attention to detail when writing this book.

I don’t have any negative feedback. I did not spot a single grammatical or formatting error. The author’s tone was conversational and it made it easy to accept his counseling. Reynolds' does not pretend to be the perfect writer. He shares his mistakes and admits to having asked others for constructive criticism with regards to his writing. He also acknowledges that there is no one set method to writing a novel. I believe that all writers would relate to Writing Your First Novel.

In conclusion, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I reiterate my comment that this book is for any and everyone who aspires to write fiction novels.

Writing Your First Novel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

I know you can save yourself unnecessary embarrassment if you learn from the mistakes of others. the writer of this book does not shy away from sharing his own mistakes with his intended audience. I found this to be very sincere of him which pushes me to consider reading this book. kudos to the reviewer for coming up with such an impressive. review
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Thanks Bookiegalke.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I enjoyed reading your review. This novel is worth reading. Thank you?
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 386
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Of Gilded Flesh by Gordon Gravley

Post by kandscreeley »

Nice review. Sounds like it is full of good advice. I wonder if the author gives any exercises throughout the book? Thanks!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Darakhshan Nazir wrote:I enjoyed reading your review. This novel is worth reading. Thank you?
Glad you liked it! Thanks for reading and commenting.
kandscreeley wrote:Nice review. Sounds like it is full of good advice. I wonder if the author gives any exercises throughout the book? Thanks!
Thanks for reading and commenting Kandscreeley. There are no set exercises in the book but the author shares some exercises he uses to write while still maintaining a hectic lifestyle.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 866
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

Great review!!! I love to think that I would write my own novel one day so I am definitely looking at getting this book! Thanks!
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I would find it useful to have practical exercises to have a go at what advice I had just read. However if the advice and help on offer is good enough, then the reader can take this away and hopefully be in a better position to get started on their novel. A good review.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

Great review! I am starting my own fiction novel, and have had some doubts on how to go about writing. I think I'll have to look into this book to see if I could implement any advice.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 719
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

My favorite books are always the kind of books that teaches its readers on the craft of writing books. This sounds like a really good one.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbyemi.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Debbyemi »

great review, am definitely adding it to my want to read books.
Onyinyechukwu
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechukwu.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Onyinyechukwu »

I might need this one sometime in the future. I have never written a novel before, but will like to... don't know if I will. If ever I do, this would a good book to pick up. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Oluchukwu Francisca
Currently Reading: The Golden Bowl
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Oluchukwu Francisca »

I would love this in future; because I haven't written novel before but I will summound courage to do that thank you
Eva Gallegos
Currently Reading: Writing Your First Novel
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-gallegos.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Eva Gallegos »

A friend, once told me, that knowledge must be shared with the world. I have found people, in my line of work, who think that they must hide what they know so that others do not take their jobs. I'm glad that still exists people who think it's worth teaching others
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
NellyKay
Currently Reading: Am I a Man Yet?
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by NellyKay »

So I can go ahead and start writing my own novels after going through this educating piece..

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”