Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Non-Fiction Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Wasted Genius by Bill greene

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.

Official Review: Wasted Genius by Bill greene

Post Number:#1 by LivreAmour217
» 18 Jul 2017, 15:12

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wasted Genius" by Bill greene.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by LivreAmour217
Share This Review

IQ and standardized tests are commonly used measures by which we gauge the intellect and ability of human beings, with children being most frequently subjected to these methods. Conventional wisdom dictates that a child who possesses a high intellect, or more specifically can perform the abstract exercises often presented on standardized tests, has greater overall ability than his "average" peers and should be treated as such. Children such as these are often placed in "gifted" classes and are granted many concessions, while average or underperforming students receive little (if any) encouragement. This is the norm in most American public schools, but author Bill Greene challenges this practice head-on in Wasted Genius: How IQ and SAT Tests Are Hurting Our Kids

Mr. Greene asserts that IQ and standardized testing should not be the sole measures for gauging human potential, and that these methods are often discouraging and harmful to students whose performances are not up to par. Throughout the book, Mr. Greene states that IQ and test scores do not measure every possible facet of human ability, and that people should be measured by what is known as the Total Competency Quotient (TCQ). In addition to measuring abstract intelligence, TCQ also includes personality traits and learned behaviors, such as self-control, persistence, and interpersonal skills. Furthermore, Mr. Greene points out that many people who do well on IQ tests frequently lack the personality traits and "common sense" skills that have traditionally led to success for human beings across time and cultures.

Wasted Genius hit very close to home for me personally. When I was in elementary school, I possessed a contradictory set of abilities: I was an advanced reader who could comprehend high school books, but I also had dyscalculia, which is a learning disability involving the processing of numbers. I know what it's like to be praised for being "smart" and to be looked down upon for being "dumb," and I can say that both extremes can be harmful. I strongly believe that Mr. Greene is correct in pointing out the value of each child's unique abilities beyond test scores.

I also admired the way in which Mr. Greene came out strongly against the inaccurate but enduring notion that some racial and socioeconomic groups are naturally "smarter" than others. Mr. Greene never hesitates to point out the ridiculousness of this belief, and how harmful it continues to be for millions of Americans. The equality of mankind is asserted often throughout this book, and I appreciated the author's courage in tackling this controversial issue.

In addition to containing many insights, Wasted Genius is also well written and appears to have been professionally edited. I have no criticisms of this book, although I will caution readers that politics do come up within some of the chapters. I was not personally bothered by the author's political opinions, as he stated his views diplomatically, but I do realize that some readers may be turned off by political content. Also, the last page within the "Acknowledgements" section appeared to be missing, but I am not certain if this was a problem with the book itself or just my copy.

Wasted Genius contains a treasure trove of meaningful content, and I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to all parents, as well as those who have been slapped with an intellectual label (be it positive or negative). The insights that this book has to offer are well worth it.

Wasted Genius
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
LivreAmour217's Latest Review: "The Life of an Uber Driver" by Danny
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month

Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 164 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 95%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Wasted Genius by Bill greene

Post Number:#2 by Afuglsan
» 26 Jul 2017, 14:47

This sounds like an interesting book, but I'm not sure it's for me. I do agree that IQ tests do not accurately represent intelligence. Very well written review.
Afuglsan

Currently Reading: Accidentally Dead
Bookshelf Size: 128 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 62%

Post Number:#3 by kandscreeley
» 26 Jul 2017, 14:53

I thought of reviewing this one myself. I also believe that tests are not always the best measure of whether someone will succeed or not. Thanks for the review!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 89 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 72%

Post Number:#4 by LivreAmour217
» 26 Jul 2017, 15:36

Afuglsan wrote:This sounds like an interesting book, but I'm not sure it's for me. I do agree that IQ tests do not accurately represent intelligence. Very well written review.

Thank you for reading my review! :)

-- 26 Jul 2017, 16:39 --

kandscreeley wrote:I thought of reviewing this one myself. I also believe that tests are not always the best measure of whether someone will succeed or not. Thanks for the review!

And thank you for taking the time to read it! I appreciate the feedback!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
LivreAmour217

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#5 by LadyClaire
» 26 Jul 2017, 16:46

I agree with the author. IQ tests don't reveal everything and hence it should 'not be the sole measure for gauging human potential'. I'm adding this book to my must read list.
Thanks for the review, LivreAmour
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
LadyClaire

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 4%

Post Number:#6 by Soukainadhn
» 26 Jul 2017, 18:44

I like the concept that the author show about the IQ tests . Like the book good luck
Soukainadhn

Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 4 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#7 by LivreAmour217
» 26 Jul 2017, 19:21

LadyClaire wrote:I agree with the author. IQ tests don't reveal everything and hence it should 'not be the sole measure for gauging human potential'. I'm adding this book to my must read list.
Thanks for the review, LivreAmour

You are most welcome! Enjoy the book!

-- 26 Jul 2017, 20:22 --

Soukainadhn wrote:I like the concept that the author show about the IQ tests . Like the book good luck

Thank you for reading my review. This book is very eye-opening!
LivreAmour217

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#8 by bookiegalke
» 27 Jul 2017, 02:26

I strongly believe that whether a person has a high IQ or not should not be used to gauge the potential of that person. I do agree with the writers view on the matters he raised and i would consider reading this book
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
bookiegalke

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 11%

Post Number:#9 by Kelebogile Mbangi
» 27 Jul 2017, 03:16

Wow! What a message! I couldn't agree more. The same thing happens here in South Africa. In primary school we had an A class, we were referred to as "the cream of the crop". Looking back, I wonder how that impacted on the other students in the B and C classes. How can you do well if no one believes in you? Great review, I enjoyed reading this so much!
"I am a woman phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, that's me." - Maya Angelou.
Kelebogile Mbangi's Latest Review: "Everything is gonna be alright" by Treava
Kelebogile Mbangi

Currently Reading: Anastasia's Book of Days
Bookshelf Size: 25 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 70%

Post Number:#10 by Oliver Ekaso
» 27 Jul 2017, 06:10

Examination is not a true test of knowledge. Native intelligence and academic intelligence are two different things altogether. I think IQ test measures academic intelligence and so may not truly show who is more intelligent. I agree with the author.
Oliver Ekaso

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#11 by LivreAmour217
» 27 Jul 2017, 15:25

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:Wow! What a message! I couldn't agree more. The same thing happens here in South Africa. In primary school we had an A class, we were referred to as "the cream of the crop". Looking back, I wonder how that impacted on the other students in the B and C classes. How can you do well if no one believes in you? Great review, I enjoyed reading this so much!

Thank you for reading my review! You make an excellent point--it's hard to succeed when no one believes in you. I feel terrible for children who get placed in the "lower" classes!

-- 27 Jul 2017, 16:26 --

Oliver Ekaso wrote:Examination is not a true test of knowledge. Native intelligence and academic intelligence are two different things altogether. I think IQ test measures academic intelligence and so may not truly show who is more intelligent. I agree with the author.

I agree wholeheartedly with you. Thank you for reading my review!
LivreAmour217

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#12 by Emmalogo555
» 27 Jul 2017, 17:03

Nice text of interaction, children shouldn't be rated only by surface performance only but internal performance because it is believed linguistically that competence supersedes performance in language usage, in this case, the idea that test base or outward rating of people should be jettisoned for the inward rating. Like I said competence is ahead of performance in language dispensation. So why the later instead of the former?
Emmalogo555

Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#13 by Mercy Bolo
» 28 Jul 2017, 03:21

I'm not an American but I can say that the issues highlighted in this book are widespread.
Mercy Bolo

Favorite Book: The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 26 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#14 by Amagine
» 28 Jul 2017, 05:32

This book sounds like a meaningful read. There is so much truth in this book because I also believe that standardized testing isn't really productive or good for children.

Great Review! 👑
Secret To Writing A Bestseller

You write.
You stop dreaming of writing.
You stop talking about writing.
Stop wishing you were writing.
And you write.
Amagine's Latest Review: "Tales From A Nobody" by G.C. Cook
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading: The Tattered Box
Bookshelf Size: 689 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 42%

Post Number:#15 by Nthabeleng
» 28 Jul 2017, 16:03

This book is spot on, this is one of the reasons that children suffer from low self-esteem because they are treated like they are not good enough and they feel like they can never be good enough. Oh this issue is deep and worldwide, I'm definitely putting this book on my to read list. Thanks for the insightful review.
Nthabeleng

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 6 Books
Goal Completion: 33%

Next