Review of Know what cops know

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Olga Markova
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: Crossing the Lines by Michal Regunberg

Review of Know what cops know

Post by Olga Markova »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Know what cops know" by William palmini jr. Chief.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Know What Cops Know: A Crime Prevention Guide is an immensely useful book that combines 54 years of Chief William G. Palmini, Jr.'s award-winning police work, Tanya Chalupa's award-winning expertise in law enforcement and traffic safety, and input from many government agencies, including the Federal Bureau of Investigations, the U.S. Department of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission, and the United States Attorney’s Office. Each of the book’s 54 chapters covers a specific crime or a specific group of individuals. It then offers tips on how to avoid becoming a victim of a crime and what to do if you nevertheless become one.

Chief William G. Palmini, Jr., and Tanya Chalupa penned Know What Cops Know: A Crime Prevention Guide with "a desire to share the knowledge police officers acquire in the line of duty so that readers may better protect themselves” (p. 11). I think they accomplished this mission. The book is a comprehensive guide to personal safety that covers all aspects of our lives, such as staying alone, dating, partying, using cash machines, or visiting libraries. It also includes astounding crime statistics and concise “cop’s tips” for every crime it discusses. Every chapter is a treasure trove of safety methods. But I particularly enjoyed the chapters about the safety of senior citizens, women, and children.

The only aspect of this book that invites improvement is typographical errors. Having this brilliant book professionally edited would take it to the highest level of excellence. Meanwhile, much as I want to give this brilliant guide to personal safety a perfect rating, the lack of professional editing compels me to deduct a star and rate this book 4 out of 5 stars.

I highly recommend this book to everyone who wants to avoid becoming a victim of criminals. Notwithstanding that this book is based on the experience of police work in the USA, it is also useful to residents of any other country because it makes us consider our reality and distinguish or relate the advice to our circumstances. 

Know what cops know
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Severed Roots
Bookshelf Size: 1021
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Unfortunately, criminals know how to use these tips better and to their ultimate advantage. I’’m sure, though, that many regular citizens can benefit from the work. Thanks!
Joshua Sawders
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Joshua Sawders »

This review highlights the book "Know What Cops Know: A Crime Prevention Guide" as an immensely useful and comprehensive guide to personal safety. The book covers various crimes and provides tips on avoiding victimization. The reviewer appreciates the chapters on the safety of senior citizens, women, and children. The only drawback mentioned is the presence of typographical errors. Despite that, the reviewer highly recommends the book to everyone wanting to prevent becoming a victim of criminals. Compelling pacing, kept the story moving briskly.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”