Official Review: Saving Hope by Devoted Grandfather

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Official Review: Saving Hope by Devoted Grandfather

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Saving Hope" by Devoted Grandfather.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“One day at a time.” Have you caught yourself saying this? Was it during a difficult period in your life? This simple phrase can mean so much, especially when you see a loved one slowly leaving this world…

In the non-fiction text, Saving Hope by Devoted Grandfather (Jim), the reader follows a grandfather’s account of his young, beautiful, blue-eyed granddaughter, Hope. The unforgettable date of September 11, 2001 holds a different significance for PopPop, the Devoted Grandfather, compared those in the United States and their loved ones involved. His sweet nearly three-year-old granddaughter, Hope, was diagnosed with Stage 4 Neuroblastoma cancer on this day. This cancer forms around the nerve cells and is more commonly seen in infants and young children.

Through this trying time, this devoted grandfather regularly emailed friends and family updates on Hope’s progress. He shared the ups and downs. The successes and the disappointments. Along the way, someone suggested to PopPop that he wrote a book within these emails, and here we are today.

This was an interesting read; it felt both personal and impersonal at the same time. Let’s start with the personal. Through the emails, it was clear that PopPop and his wife were very much involved in Hope’s life, giving support to Hope’s parents as much as they could. Also, it was clear to see that PopPop understood Hope's medical happenings. Using simple language, he communicated updates well to friends, families, and future readers.

It felt somewhat impersonal due to the structure of the emails. Most were literal accounts of what the day consisted of – procedures, health issues, and where was Hope (either at home or at the hospital). Though these were important details to this young girl’s progress, I couldn’t seem to grasp much emotion; the tone was dry and repetitive. The author did reference his tears at times, but it still felt so distant. Perhaps, if the author wanted to keep the integrity of the emails, he could have added some thoughts and/or feelings in between them.

There were several errors throughout the read. For instance, “I she makes the count...” (loc. 385), “...doing quit well...” (loc. 939), and several others. PopPop did mention he was not a writer, but this book would benefit from another round of editing.

This eye-opener of how cancer doesn’t skip over anyone, even a three-year-old little girl, readers who have had experience with cancer and/or have known someone with cancer most likely can relate to this novel. Though it was an eye-opener, due to its impersonal tone and amount of errors, I give Saving Hope a 3 out of 4 stars.

Saving Hope
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Nice review! I also wrote a review for this. I didn't mind the errors in the emails because they highlighted the authenticity of the emails. It wasn't like he was trying to write a book. It just happened and I am glad it did, mistakes and all.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, Jaime Lync! It's nice that you didn't mind the errors, and that you enjoyed it. I think the reader in me just saw those errors and the bit of impersonal writing that it was hard to ignore. I will say that I thought it was wonderful of PopPop to keep his friends and family so involved. He and his family seem like an extremely sweet and supportive group of people.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It seems like a great book for anyone who is experiencing the pain of witnessing a loved one battle cancer. I agree that in this kind of story, the tone should reflect more emotions towards the situation.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I can't even imagine someone so young going through so much. I know her family must have suffered a great deal too. Sounds like a truly eye-opening story. Thanks for the another great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jeremie Mondejar
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Thank you for your informative review. I'm happy that the book was created. Praying for hope.

Psalm 17:6New International Version (NIV)
I call on you, my God, for you will answer me;
turn your ear to me and hear my prayer.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

The introduction of your review was heart wrenching! I hope to read this eye opener.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

Loosing a loved one is very unbearable especially when it seems that nothing can be done to save the day and as well, putting your grief in writing could serve as a good catharsis. Thanks for the review, hsimone.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

This novel seems worth reading . Thank you for such a nice review
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

The review is very nice. Thanks for such a great review ?
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Oh wow, I'm responding so late! Sorry about that!

I appreciate the thoughts and reading my review. It was definitely an eye-opening type of read. I actually found myself researching this type of cancer to learn more, which I do appreciate the devoted grandfather sharing something so personal with everyone.
Heidi

ItsElzbth_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ItsElzbth_ »

This is a very heart felt review. While i'm reading this review I found my self crying. Thank you for the review. Praying for Hope
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Welcome ItsElzbth_ to the forums! Thank you for your kind words and for sharing your thoughts.
Heidi

BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

I felt so sad when a three year old girl suffered such a kind of illness. This is really an eye-opening. Hope all of us, Government and Private individual should really be serious of campaigning a Healthy lifestyle. Getting rid of smoking, heavy drinking and avoiding toxic chemicals (maybe found in our food). Thank you for your review!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”