Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Non-Fiction Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: You'll Do Anything for Him

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.

Official Review: You'll Do Anything for Him

Post Number:#1 by MarisaRose
» 12 Jul 2017, 17:06

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "You'll Do Anything for Him" by Dr. Maureen E Hosier, Berta Hosier Conger.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by MarisaRose
Share This Review

As the title suggests, You’ll Do Anything for Him: A New Relationship Perspective, describes a different approach to understanding personal relationships. In this book, authors Dr. Maureen Hosier and Berta Hosier Conger, focus on the childhood events that shape us into the people we are in our adult relationships. The true theme, however, is about understanding ‘your self’ and learning how to be in a two-person relationship where both partners’ needs and feelings are considered, rather than a one-person relationship in which only one partner is catered to.

Every detail in this book, down to the structure of sentences and the format of chapters, sections and paragraphs, is carefully considered and meaningful. The narrative is presented in the form of one sentence paragraphs. Though this may seem like a strange format, the simple paragraphs work to emphasize the authors’ ideas and empower their words. The negative space on the page makes the individual sentences standout and compels the reader to carefully consider every word.

At 70 pages, this is by no means a long book. But just as the smallest details are considered in this book, so is every word. The authors avoid long, complicated explanations by honing in on the basic, universal childhood experiences and relationships at the crux of their new perspective. Further, the content and advice presented in this book is easy to understand, and a wide audience will be able to identify with this perspective. The perspective and associated advice can easily translate to all genders and orientations. However, as the title suggests, the writing is rather exclusive; it is clear that the writers describe their ideas from a female point of view in a heterosexual relationship. However, the ideas presented are equally connected to other genders and types of relationships. Further, assumptions are made that the female partner is always the partner trying to seek validation from the male counterpart. The use of neutral wording would give this book more universal appeal.

The book is best suited for adults; a younger audience may have a hard time connecting with many of the ‘growing-up’ years since they are most likely too close or too attached to those ages and memories to consider them from this new perspective. Even those currently involved in a positive relationship will gain something from reading about this new perspective. The concepts in this book transcend good and bad relationships because the focus is really on understanding ‘your self’ and learning how to live as your authentic self.

As someone who is not usually excited by self-help books, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. Although it is hard to come up with new ideas about age-old themes like relationships, You’ll Do Anything for Him is truly a unique approach to understanding the correlation between our pasts and our current relationships. Despite my hesitation about the limited perspective, the unique concepts, well-developed explanations, and meticulous attention to detail lead me to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

You'll Do Anything for Him
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose's Latest Review: "Re-tread" by James Vincent
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 232%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: You'll Do Anything for Him

Post Number:#2 by hsimone
» 13 Jul 2017, 14:29

I read this one, too, and felt pleasantly surprised as well. The authors did a great job in sharing their thoughts in a comprehensive and friendly way. There is another version of this book for the other sex. I believe it's the same material, just the pronouns are changed to reflect the other gender. Anyway, I agree with your assessment of this book, and I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this read! :)
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4
Publishing Contest ~ 27 Votes ~ View hsimone's Entry
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Currently Reading: Escape to Eden
Bookshelf Size: 401 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 140 Books
Goal Completion: 56%

Post Number:#3 by kandscreeley
» 13 Jul 2017, 14:42

I'm not really into self-help books. However, you never know when you'll find that little gem that just makes things click. Sounds like a good book, and the paragraph structure you mention intrigues me! Thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Devil's Run" by AR Simmons
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 81 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 64%

Post Number:#4 by jeanneyangyong
» 13 Jul 2017, 19:02

In this world we live in people show different ways how to love a person in different level. Love leads people to do anything and everything just the person we love most even if it cost our own life.
jeanneyangyong

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#5 by Mugoya Ernest
» 14 Jul 2017, 01:38

Incredible, gives an impression that definitely will lead anyone to read the book
Mugoya Ernest

Post Number:#6 by bookowlie
» 14 Jul 2017, 10:00

Great review! I don't usually like self-help books, but this one sounds interesting. I like that it's not one of those books where an author will stretch out a few basic points into 300 pages.
As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction. - Irish blessing
bookowlie's Latest Review: "Still Shot" by N. L. Quatrano
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader

Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 51%

Post Number:#7 by MarisaRose
» 14 Jul 2017, 16:18

hsimone wrote:I read this one, too, and felt pleasantly surprised as well. The authors did a great job in sharing their thoughts in a comprehensive and friendly way. There is another version of this book for the other sex. I believe it's the same material, just the pronouns are changed to reflect the other gender. Anyway, I agree with your assessment of this book, and I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this read! :)

After this was published, I saw the other book you refer to! I think it's great that the authors changed the pronouns, but I also think the same message could have been geared toward both partners, regardless of sex, in this book. Either way, it really was a surprisingly good and eye-opening read! Thanks for commenting!

-- 14 Jul 2017, 16:19 --

bookowlie wrote:Great review! I don't usually like self-help books, but this one sounds interesting. I like that it's not one of those books where an author will stretch out a few basic points into 300 pages.

I think that was one of my favorite aspects of the book! The authors made their point and moved on - no fluffy language added to pad the book length. Thanks for your comments :)
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose's Latest Review: "Re-tread" by James Vincent
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 232%

Post Number:#8 by Mercy Bolo
» 14 Jul 2017, 20:10

Great review. Since it is a short book, let me see what I can learn from it.
Mercy Bolo

Favorite Book: The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 22 books

Post Number:#9 by John Cand
» 14 Jul 2017, 20:53

This sounds like a great self-help book. Thanks for the review.

-- 14 Jul 2017, 20:53 --

This sounds like a great self-help book. Thanks for the review.
John Cand's Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
John Cand

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#10 by Mtsweni Nelsy
» 15 Jul 2017, 07:38

The book sounds interesting ...I definitely should read it sometimes!

Thanks for the review.
Mtsweni Nelsy

Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 2 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 24 Books

Post Number:#11 by daddy kham
» 18 Jul 2017, 02:09

So true
daddy kham

Post Number:#12 by beatriceanyango
» 18 Jul 2017, 06:01

great ,its true loving someone youcan do whatever you can to keep the person.thanks

-- 18 Jul 2017, 06:04 --

great ,its true loving someone you :) can do whatever you can to keep the person.thanks.

-- 18 Jul 2017, 06:05 --

great ,its true loving someone you :) can do whatever you can to keep the person.thanks.
beatriceanyango

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11 books
Reading Device: Kindle Voyage

Post Number:#13 by raikyuu
» 18 Jul 2017, 23:07

Curious. I'm not usually a fan of self-help books, but this review makes me consider to read this book. Thank you.
What should I do with my life?

"You don't have to do anything."
raikyuu

Favorite Book: The Republic
Currently Reading: A History of Western Philosophy
Bookshelf Size: 31 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 30 Books
Goal Completion: 83%

Post Number:#14 by Naval Aulakh
» Yesterday, 09:23

I really like the review and the plot of the book. I am going to read this book now.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Naval Aulakh's Latest Review: "Breaking Sandcastles" by Kirk Burris
Naval Aulakh

Currently Reading: My trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 46 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 73%

Post Number:#15 by Ayokunle
» Yesterday, 11:27

This is a great contribution no doubt. The place of mutual love in romantic relationships is given prominence in this work. There is also a considerable attention given to style and structure in this text. This for me is unusual as well as noteworthy.
Ayokunle

Currently Reading:

Next